Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rebuilt 2 liter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Snave007
If I read Raby's website correctly he wants $15,000 for a 2 liter.

IMC Import has a website listing a $3,500 rebuld but they don't asnwer their phone or email.

Any experience with a reputable engine builder?
d7n7master
sunglasses.gif I hate to admit it, but - I made that mistake about seven years ago.
The "long block" ran like crap no matter what I did to the carbs, timing, valve adj - you name it. & the valve clearances changed. A lot. Adjusters were worn and looked like mushrooms. Then it happened. Dropped a valve seat. Now I'm pissed. I pulled it apart.
I found that the cam and crank bearings were toast. (with under a 1000 miles on longblock??) Took it to a machine shop. They said that the case needed to be align bored. i had a feeling that was the issue when I saw the bearings...
So the 'effin' bastards @ Import Motors never align bored my case!!!! chair.gif So it ate itself up from the inside-(

Expensive mistake on my part. Ask around to find a reputable shop. IMHO Import Motors isn't one of them. stromberg.gif
era vulgaris
Check out Chico Performance Racing. He mostly does Type 1 engines, and gets a lot of great reviews and feedback from folks over on The Samba. He recently started a Type IV program. Might be worth checking out. He's one of the only engine builders I've ever seen Jake Raby give a compliment to (over on The Samba).
You're still going to pay in the high 4 figures for one of his engines though.

Aside from that, it's often best to stay as local as you can. That way if there's problems, you can take it back to the shop that did the work.
Dave_Darling
Ping McMark on this board. He builds Type IVs, and knows 914s at least a little bit. wink.gif

--DD
Snave007
Anybody have any experience with Auto Atlanta that offers a menu of 2 liter rebuild options?
mgp4591
A business here in does the 2 liter engines back with a full warranty with over 20 yrs. experience and more than a few members here and on Samba have used them with great results. Not sure on the price and probably depends on what specs you want but the contacting email (not spam and secured) is Geno999@comcast.net. Drop him a note- they've had cars at the Porsche Parade and some other PCA events and haven't been embarrassed so far! Good luck driving.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 11 2014, 02:40 PM) *

Ping McMark on this board. He builds Type IVs, and knows 914s at least a little bit. wink.gif

--DD

agree.gif

Don't look any further...
GeorgeRud
I'd give Brad Mayeur @ 914Ltd a call as you're in the Midwest. He's been working on these since the early 70s and knows his stuff. If he couldn't do it, he could certainly lead you to a good, reasonable alternative.
mepstein
QUOTE(Snave007 @ Jul 11 2014, 06:25 PM) *

Anybody have any experience with Auto Atlanta that offers a menu of 2 liter rebuild options?

lol-2.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Snave007 @ Jul 11 2014, 06:25 PM) *

lol-2.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 11 2014, 04:56 PM) *

--DD

agree.gif

agree.gif

Despite my best efforts to destroy it, my 2056 from McMark is still there. Mine was nothing fancy in the build but solid. Jake does nothing but the best period. That is reflected in his price. Before I die I will have one of his engines. Brad is a good bet also. Stay away from the $3,500 builds from anyone. It is like playing Russian roulette.
Jake Raby
It sounds like you are looking for a simple engine thats nothing special and doesn't offer upgrades. There's quite a few sources for an engine like that, and they are mentioned earlier in this thread.

We offer custom engines that are application specific, offering a minimum of 150HP. These engines are far from "rebuilt", having only a handful or OE components remaining. Most of my engines use nothing from the factory other than the crankcase, and rocker arms and a few specific fasteners and maybe the crank drive gears.
Snave007
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 11 2014, 07:00 PM) *

It sounds like you are looking for a simple engine thats nothing special and doesn't offer upgrades. There's quite a few sources for an engine like that, and they are mentioned earlier in this thread.

We offer custom engines that are application specific, offering a minimum of 150HP. These engines are far from "rebuilt", having only a handful or OE components remaining. Most of my engines use nothing from the factory other than the crankcase, and rocker arms and a few specific fasteners and maybe the crank drive gears.

No not looking for a stock plain vanilla solution but an engine from you that is mire than I paid for or could sell the car for doesn't make economic sense.
Elliot Cannon
These guys did mine. 2.2 liter. 147 HP. http://fatperformance.com/home/
Jake Raby

No not looking for a stock plain vanilla solution but an engine from you that is mire than I paid for or could sell the car for doesn't make economic sense.

Thats fine. The only time my engine makes sense is if the car will be kept forever. When i schedule phone consultations with buyers this is the very first thing that I tell them. its the ice breaker that either makes for a short phone call, or a longer call and an engine transaction. Our engines have cost more than the vehicles they were fitted to for many years, as a general rule. The same goes with my modern Porsche engines, but that doesn't stop us from selling them and maintaining a 1 year backlog at all times. That goes for the aircooled and water-cooled sides of the house here.

The engine adds marketability to the vehicle, the last one of my own cars, with my engine that I posted here for sale lasted 13 minutes before I had a paypal deposit in hand.

Its not for everyone, and if it was I'd be so bored with it that I wouldn't even want to offer it.. Today the majority of what we build goes into 356 and 912 conversion applications.

I second FAT performance. They are great guys that run an honest business and build a solid engine. They've been friendly competitors for years and we both sell components back and forth to each other often. They are the only other shop I'll even speak to in this industry.
JStroud
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 11 2014, 05:56 PM) *

--DD

agree.gif

agree.gif

McMark built the 2056 I had before I put in the -6, very fun motor, ran very smooth.
He can build you what ever you want, his 2056 builds start at around $5k, very affordable for an engine done right. And don't let where you live dictate where you buy, you can always ship, getting a subpar motor because it's close might end badly.
Good luck.
race914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 11 2014, 07:28 PM) *

Thats fine. The only time my engine makes sense is if the car will be kept forever. When i schedule phone consultations with buyers this is the very first thing that I tell them. its the ice breaker that either makes for a short phone call, or a longer call and an engine transaction. Our engines have cost more than the vehicles they were fitted to for many years, as a general rule. The same goes with my modern Porsche engines, but that doesn't stop us from selling them and maintaining a 1 year backlog at all times. That goes for the aircooled and water-cooled sides of the house here.

The engine adds marketability to the vehicle, the last one of my own cars, with my engine that I posted here for sale lasted 13 minutes before I had a paypal deposit in hand.

Its not for everyone, and if it was I'd be so bored with it that I wouldn't even want to offer it.. Today the majority of what we build goes into 356 and 912 conversion applications.

I second FAT performance. They are great guys that run an honest business and build a solid engine. They've been friendly competitors for years and we both sell components back and forth to each other often. They are the only other shop I'll even speak to in this industry.

So you don't speak with McMark??
Jake Raby
QUOTE(race914 @ Jul 12 2014, 12:02 PM) *

So you don't speak with McMark??

Mark isn't an engine- only establishment like FAT and I are.
72hardtop

I can think of one better that you'd recommend...Adrian at Headflow Masters excellent T-4 engine/head builder.
PanelBilly
I'd talk to Nate. Look at what he's done to that square back and now he's looking g at doing the salt flats! He's a full time vw mechanic and owns his own shop. He doesn't solicit business from his 914 buddies, but he should.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(72hardtop @ Jul 13 2014, 12:02 PM) *

I can think of one better that you'd recommend...Adrian at Headflow Masters excellent T-4 engine/head builder.

No recommendation there. I have learned to recommend nothing, the last time I did that and someone had an issue with person who was recommended I ended up hearing about it.

So now, I only recommend myself.
Al Meredith
Get Jake's video and do it yourself. Plan to spend about $5000 for parts alone on a 2056. That would include new heads. You will love the result. 120 HP and loads of torque. lasts for ever.
Java2570
agree.gif
In fact, the engine kits available now from Type 4 store for $6k for a basic 2056 is a pretty kickin' deal! Of course, you'd have to get a good engine case but they're not hard to find. These engines are pretty easy to build and I'd bet you could even get someone to lend a hand with the build if need be.
If you don't want to get greasy, plenty of builders have been mentioned.
ottox914
If you are midwest, I'd 2nd Brad Mayeur. He'd been around these cars since day 1 and had probably knows as much or more about them than the factory ever did.
914werke
here you go
shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.