Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Werks Reunion Aug 15 - Carmel CA, You in?
dlkawashima
post Aug 16 2014, 02:34 PM
Post #61

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

There were four 914s entered in the Concours and three entered in the Outlaw, competition car, street modified ... whatever you want to call it ... section.

Here are the Concours entrants:

Jeff Bowlsby's Bumblebee. Jeff said this was his first ever Concours event, which surprised me. From an originality standpoint, his car looked to be spot on perfect. Unfortunately, most of these Concours events have more to do with cleaning and less to do with historical accuracy ...
Attached Image

George Eshaghian trailered his 914-6 all the way from SoCal. George said he had done a ground up restoration and it sure looked like it. Very beautiful 914-6.
Attached Image

Kathy Nagy's Bumblebee. It looks almost identical to Jeff's, except for the polished roof and the lack of bumper tits that Jeff's car has (some irony there ...)
Attached Image

Bob Schoenherr's '71 914-4. This car is in absolutely amazing condition, given the fact that it has over 100,000 miles and still wears its original paint. It won "Best of Porsche" at the 2013 Legends of Autobahn. Gonna be awfully hard to ever beat this one. The only things I saw wrong with this car was an aftermarket dome light and Euro taillights.
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Aug 16 2014, 02:51 PM
Post #62

914 Guru

In the corral section, cars were lined up, roughly by type and age. First came the 356's, then the 911's, 914's and finally all the water cooled models. For me, the most interesting cars in the corral were the 356's. Here are a few:

Talk about rat rod, or in this case, ratty rod, the body of this 356 has been left just the way it was originally found.
Attached Image

The interior of the car has also been left as is, save for a couple of rudimentary seat covers.
Attached Image

You know, no matter where you stand, how patient you are, how long you wait, someone is sure to step in and photobomb your picture. But, uhhh, for some reason I really don't mind in this case ...
Attached Image

There were several 356's on display with vintage luggage racks, but this one was my favorite. It looks like it's ready for a trip to the Alps ...
Attached Image

This Speedster is shod with aftermarket wheels and a Glaspar roof. Very cool ...
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Aug 16 2014, 03:12 PM
Post #63

914 Guru

Now we get to the 914s in the corral. There were seven in total. Here was the lineup:

Marty Yoeman and his wife Debbie drove down early and have been taking in a lot of the events during Car Week.
Attached Image

Mike Bellis. He disappeared for a while, but I'm not sure if he ever did his volunteer stint. Magnus Walker came by and personally greeted Mike. Of course I neglected to take a picture ...
Attached Image

me
Attached Image

Darryl Tjaden drove UP from Morgan Hill just to drive back DOWN in the caravan with us.
Attached Image

Michael Nagy's factory 914-6. He and his son Nolan were having a great time, while poor Kathy was stuck in the Concours section waiting for the judges to arrive.
Attached Image

Elliott Cannon. He messed up the date and got to Monterey two weeks early, parked his car on the fairway, and went sightseeing (which explains all the golf ball sized dents in his trunk). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Attached Image

Joe Lombardi from Salinas by way of New Jersey (the car, too!)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Aug 16 2014, 03:42 PM
Post #64

914 Guru

And finally, we get to the Outlaws & competition cars section.

First up is this fabulous engine housed inside the equally fabulous Singer.
Attached Image

If you ever wondered what Ferg (Mike Fergusson) looks like, there he is in the blue/gray t-shirt overseeing this beautiful 356.
Attached Image

I tried to look this phrase up and I got either a) Awesomely Cool or b) Super Mega Monkey Tits. Mmmmm, I'm kinda thinking it means awesomely cool. Either way, you're looking at a heavily modified 928.
Attached Image

Porsche 906. Wow, simply wow.
Attached Image

Tom Provasi's GTU racer.
Attached Image

Tom Trudell's Suby powered 914. Props to the guys swiggin' beer in the background ... keepin' the 914 mystique alive.
Attached Image

Bill Packwood's 914-6 GT.
Attached Image

Another ratty 356. I saw this car while driving home. The driver was trying to hold onto a huge sombrero with one hand while driving with the other... what a riot!
Attached Image

The winner of the 914 Concours was Bob Schoenherr. Here he is being interviewed during the awards ceremony.
Attached Image

Here are some other winners, lining up to form an impromptu winner's circle.
Attached Image

Finally, I'll finish off with an artsy fartsy shot of Kathy Nagy's Bumblebee reflected in Bob's mirror finish hup cap. All in all, it was a beautiful day and great event. I can't wait till next year!
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Aug 16 2014, 03:43 PM
Post #65

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

Mike Nagey's white factory six is drop dead gorgeous.

You guys make sure to have some Velvetta and Boonesfarm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Thanks for the pics.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Aug 16 2014, 03:43 PM
Post #66

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

Mike Nagey's white factory six is drop dead gorgeous.

You guys make sure to have some Velvetta and Boonesfarm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Thanks for the pics.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 16 2014, 04:10 PM
Post #67

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 15 2014, 02:29 PM) *

Fantastic show! Great to see some familiar faces.

That wasn't a face--more of a butt... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

BTW, the #3 GTU is fresh off a restoration. Tom decided to have the car restored to the state it was in the last time it ran in IMSA. The car was white when he bought it, and then went Signal Orange. He got TToD in at least one Parade in it, and got DQ'd for some very picky reasons in at least two others. (Taking the "unofficial TToD in both.)

--DD
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Aug 16 2014, 10:27 PM
Post #68

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

This really was a great show, and a great turnout. And by the looks of this thread, 914s are comin' UP. What a great bunch of cars! I'd really better get mine sorted asap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Thanks for the pics.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Aug 17 2014, 06:56 PM
Post #69

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Just got home from driving the 1400 miles back to Boulder, great to catch up with you guys and see all the cars. I'll have pics soon....

Ferg (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 17 2014, 07:06 PM
Post #70

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 17 2014, 05:56 PM) *

Just got home from driving the 1400 miles back to Boulder, great to catch up with you guys and see all the cars. I'll have pics soon....

Ferg (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Great meeting you Ferg. It's always fun to put a name to a face. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Aug 17 2014, 09:34 PM
Post #71

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Dave, you're confusing photo bomb with photo enhancement. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
pete000
post Aug 17 2014, 10:29 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Aug 16 2014, 01:34 PM) *

There were four 914s entered in the Concours.

Unfortunately, most of these Concours events have more to do with cleaning and less to do with historical accuracy ...

PCA Zone rules concours "only" deals with cleaning, originality doesn't matter...
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Aug 17 2014, 10:40 PM
Post #73

914 Guru

QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 17 2014, 09:29 PM) *

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Aug 16 2014, 01:34 PM) *

There were four 914s entered in the Concours.

Unfortunately, most of these Concours events have more to do with cleaning and less to do with historical accuracy ...

PCA Zone rules concours "only" deals with cleaning, originality doesn't matter...

So then, what's the point? These cars are meant to be driven. Not shown. Personally, I think any car that shows up on a trailer should have 10 points deducted from the start. So you win a trophy because you car is cleaner than the others? I guess I just don't understand concours. I think winning a trophy because your car was fastest and you drove better than others is more important. They're PORSCHES fer crisakes. Sorry. Rant over.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 17 2014, 11:04 PM
Post #74

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Yes, El-Yutt, that's why we tease them with the title of "Concours Weenie". We don't understand why someone would take a perfectly driveable car and then clean it until it is practically too nice to drive.

The CWs, on the other hand, wonder how we could possibly take a nice pretty car like ours and thrash it within inches of its life on a race course...

Different strokes, as they say.

--DD
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Aug 17 2014, 11:13 PM
Post #75

914 Guru

You're right Dayve. It's also possible that I'm just too forkin' lazy to want to keep my car that clean. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Aug 18 2014, 12:00 AM
Post #76

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

That was my first and last PCA concours. Not a bad experience, no worries, just a 'once in a lifetime' experience.

When the 'judge' deducted points for a rock chip on one rim of my 40-year old original paint wheels (I refuse to touch them up...I consider the rock chip as a badge of honor), when he pointed out 'rust' at the top edge of my engine bay pad that was obviously contact adhesive, when they awarded the top 914 prize to a fellow judges 914 that was clearly not the best quality 914 in the display [the Tangerine /6 was], I knew that these shows are not worth my trouble as a competitor. If PCA wants to become valid, they should just make all the awards be peoples choice, which involves the attendees. Forget the concours and judging - all cars present should just be on display and eligible for recognition. I got a cool folding chair and a sunburn for my efforts, and I cleaned my car up a little bit...and a lesson learned.

I respect these cars too much to put them up on a pedestal. When is the next drive? That is what these cars are about. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Dtjaden
post Aug 18 2014, 10:14 AM
Post #77

Member No.: 15,915

Thanks for the pics Dave. Great to meet everybody and share the ride down!
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Aug 18 2014, 10:44 AM
Post #78

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Link to all 189 unedited pics from my entire week, track, auctions, events ect...

http://s126.photobucket.com/user/Ferg914/l...t=2&page=1#

Fun trip, looking forward to next year. I was helping my good buddy with his Jagermeister RSR and his Bugatti at the track. Patrick Long had some seat time in another friends RSR so he was pitted with us. Super cool guy, really likes his Porsche's.

Ferg
+Quote Post
geshaghi
post Aug 18 2014, 10:02 PM
Post #79

Porsche Addict

Member No.: 12,480

The tangerine 914-6 between the two LE's is mine, and I had loads of fun even though I didn't "win." Got to meet a ton of nice people, see a ton of great cars and catch up with old friends. The judging seemed a little "clubby" to me, and I was disappointed that the score sheets weren't available following the awards, as I would have liked to see where points were deducted. My car is freshly restored, and that's why I entered it.

Bob's car was very nice, and it was impressive that it has more than 100,000 miles and is as clean as it is. I off-loaded my car in Salinas Thursday afternoon and drove it about 150 miles before arriving at the show Friday morning. There was so much "dirt" due to the few hours of driving, that I have a hard time understanding how anyone can actually drive a car and enter it in these full concours events where it's all about clean. Now that my concours season is over, I look forward to driving it!

Thanks for posting the photos!
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 18 2014, 10:22 PM
Post #80

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

May of the local PCA region show and shines are peoples choice. I would never expect my car to win anything at an event like this, or any other. The last show and shine I went to I bought $35 in raffle tickets and won: A case of Brad Penn, A bottle of wine, A paintless dent repair and a bottle of wax. I then sold the case of Brad Penn for $35. Win, win!
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 07:15 AM