Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Thin Clients, Anybody know anything
Qarl
post Jan 20 2005, 11:13 PM
Post #1

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271
Region Association: None

Looking to upgrade one of our offices. It has 30 PCs that are about 5 years old.

Everybody runs the same crap.

Microsoft office
Adobe Acrobat
Internet Explorer
Terminal Emulaton programs
Anti-virus software.

Looking at thin-clients as a replacement solution (less IT management of each PC).

How does software licensing work? I know you have to have the terminal server with enough client access licenses for each machine?

What if I wanted to run Microsoft Office? How does licensing work? Do you buy one license (since you only really running one copy?), or do you have to have some sort of user license of each terminal running it?

Same question for other applications.

Anybody with any real world experience?

Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 20 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #2

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

I have the same questions..

I have 14 terminals here and all of them were bought used from another company and had everything already loaded into them... I need to upgrade myself.
+Quote Post
dinomium
post Jan 20 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #3

Git on a chair son, all the good stuff is goin over yer head!

Member No.: 74
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

We only run "thin clients" for our accounting databases (JDE and Highland lakes) or for IT stuff like terminal emulation at the company that I am technical lead for IT operations. You might want to look a Small Biz edition server software from Microsoft, they bundle multipul products to run on the same box. Some people love it, other really hate it. I still have just enuff budget for one server=one ap!
As for the licencing, check out this link: cdw software they have some really good info on how this stuff works. I find it really more confusing than nessisary!

I hope that kind of helps...
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jan 20 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #4

2270 club

Member No.: 218

Thin clients don't really make for any less IT management. One doesn't need to rebuild a workstation that frequently and to do it one usually uses cloning software like Ghost. Thin clients also aren't going to save you any money in software licensing costs.

If you really want to save yourself on IT management costs then switch to Macs if you can.
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Jan 20 2005, 11:34 PM
Post #5

Shriveled member

Can't do Macs.... I got Windows-only apps that I gotta run.
+Quote Post
dinomium
post Jan 20 2005, 11:38 PM
Post #6

and MACs break the same as any other PC! They are cute and warm and fuzzy until you need to replace a CD drive or power supply!

Now Q, are you wanting to run all of your aps off a single server? Ghost is the way to deploy and really easy!
As for legacy and used products... I don't know how that gray area works. I just know don't let AutoDesk catch you!! They are MEAN!
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jan 20 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #7

2270 club

Anyway, don't worry about thin clients. Just get a good cloning system like Norton Ghost (corporate edition). You build one machine, clone it, and then building subsequent machines takes 15 minutes or so.

On your Windows domain use roaming profiles so that all the users files are stored on the server. Then if a workstation dies, you reclone it, and all the users files are still on the server. You'll need a couple Windows servers in this kind of scenario (one as a primary active directory server and a secondary as a backup).
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 20 2005, 11:40 PM
Post #8

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (anthony @ Jan 20 2005, 09:30 PM)
Thin clients don't really make for any less IT management. One doesn't need to rebuild a workstation that frequently and to do it one usually uses cloning software like Ghost. Thin clients also aren't going to save you any money in software licensing costs.

If you really want to save yourself on IT management costs then switch to Macs if you can.

i agree with the first part and disagree with the second.

in any event, you won't be making your (IT) life any easier ...
quite the opposite, actually. i found well maintained workstations with their own software copies much less of an headache.
plus, if one goes down, the rest of the office can still work. if your central "software hub" goes down, the whole office gets a day off ...

just my 2 cents ...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/type.gif) Andy

PS: if you *really* want to make your job easier, spent some money on computer training for the users. i found 95% of the time, the problems are due to users not knowing what the hell they're doing.
like the guy that deleted his windows system directory and tried to blame it on microsoft ...
or the IT director (ha!) from wells fargo that spelled his email www.bruce.hislastname@wellsfargo.com and couldn't figure out why people couldn't send him email ... (this is not a joke!)
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Jan 20 2005, 11:46 PM
Post #9

Shriveled member

How does Ghost work in the case of licenses and user keys (i.e., Windows XP license key and Office XP key).

If you use Norton Ghost to duplicate a setup aren't you, in effect, running copies of the same license.

When you go to activate the software you're screwed.
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Jan 20 2005, 11:47 PM
Post #10

Family

Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Thin clients offer some advantages, some disadvantages and some things are constant across possible solutions.

On the plus side:
You can use just about anything as a terminal.
Less "desktop" support.
Easy to add new users.
Application control (no one is allowed to install Kazaa or something similar. You can do this in a conventional LAN too, but people dislike it.)
Remote Access is just like being in the office.

On the minus side:
Potential Single Point of Failure (Terminal server's down boss).
Terminal Server Hardware Costs (savings you see on the terminal side are generally used up on the server side).
Potential Performance Issues - depending upon where your applications live, i.e. not on the server that people are running word and excel on.
You need an network engineer to handle "desktop" issues. All of the desktops are now virtual and controled by profiles on the server. You need someone that know these things to be able to manage them.
In the event that the terminal server is down, no one can really work. In a traditional environment, the desktops can still function, even if the server is down.

Similar.
License Costs - regardless of how you use the software (desktop, terminal, etc..) Microsoft still gets their pound of flesh. No free lunch.

There are companies that will host all of your applications and "desktops" in their server farm for a monthly fee. You get a T1 to them and they take care of the rest. Sometimes this can be cost effective, but I would generally look to this as a higher level service.

Hope this helps.

- Joe
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jan 20 2005, 11:47 PM
Post #11

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626

I've done it both ways. I'd lean towards PCs as Andy suggested. Use cloaning software to make them all the same. Save ALL files on the network drives that get backed up nightly with offsite storage. Then if someone trashes a PC, you just bring in a spare and they are back in business in 5 minutes.

One of the downsides to Citrix or whatever is that if a server goes down, many are down. Unless you can spring for several servers that pool resourses. It's much more IT intensive. You need trained IT people to make it work good.
+Quote Post
dinomium
post Jan 20 2005, 11:49 PM
Post #12

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) You can use ghost to just send the ap packages as well. Norton Ghost

The most frustrating IT problem I encounter EVERY FREAKIN DAY is spyware! If it is Free it is infected!!!
Weather
Clock Sync
Flag Desktop
Bargin Buddy
Hotbar
GATOR
on and on and on! If it was worth a crap your IT person WOULD GET IT!\
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Jan 20 2005, 11:53 PM
Post #13

Shriveled member

Thanks for confirming my suspicions about thin clients.

I have a physician friend who is uhhh... cheap... and he wants to save $ on PCs. He's trying to convince me that you can save money networking an office because "thin client devices are only $199! And you don't have to worry about viruses and stuff"

I told him... sure... you can get an extremely basic thin client device for $199... then add the monitor, the terminal servers, and then the terminal server software and user licenses to drive the clients...

It sounds like managing the network is more complicated then just running individual PCs ona network.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jan 20 2005, 11:58 PM
Post #14

2270 club

I hated working for cheap clients. Penny-wise, pound foolish as they say.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 21 2005, 12:11 AM
Post #15

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (anthony @ Jan 20 2005, 09:58 PM)
I hated working for cheap clients. Penny-wise, pound foolish as they say.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) i have a friend who runs a small law-firm and every time something goes wrong, he calls me in.
their system is a complete mess and all my suggestions are denied because he's a cheap bastard.

but,
he pays big bucks every time i spent time there, paying me, to fix the stuff they screwed up.
don't get his logic, he could have spent the money i have cost him in the last 3 years to buy a state-of-the-art computer system for his office.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
dinomium
post Jan 21 2005, 12:14 AM
Post #16

I have NO COMMENT!
I love and adore anybody who works at the firm that employs me!
Just in case!!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Jan 21 2005, 12:17 AM
Post #17

Family

Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE (Qarl @ Jan 20 2005, 09:53 PM)
Thanks for confirming my suspicions about thin clients.

I have a physician friend who is uhhh... cheap... and he wants to save $ on PCs. He's trying to convince me that you can save money networking an office because "thin client devices are only $199! And you don't have to worry about viruses and stuff"

I told him... sure... you can get an extremely basic thin client device for $199... then add the monitor, the terminal servers, and then the terminal server software and user licenses to drive the clients...

It sounds like managing the network is more complicated then just running individual PCs ona network.

Thin clients become a Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) discussion. In some cases, they can be cost justified, but it assumes that you are spending regularly on the PCs and that you take into account hard and soft costs.

IMO, in most companies with about 30 folks, it is hard to justify a terminal services configuration.

Good luck.

- Joe
+Quote Post
skline
post Jan 21 2005, 02:19 AM
Post #18

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Well, being Citrix certified since 1994 and certified in Windows Terminal services, I am not going to say anything except, if it is set up and configured correctly, which I have seldom seen out in the field, it is a great option and works great. Having redundant servers will keep you from having a panic attack when the main server crashes. Like I said before, if you do it right, there isnt that much that can go wrong. I wont even mention how many networks I have gone in to repair that were built by so called professional network engineers that didnt even have DNS setup correctly. Certified also doesnt mean expert. I have 12 years of on the job working in the field on corporate networks to go with my certs. I have seen it all.

Ghost is how a lot of people get around licensing but you also need to have a license for each computer you use it on. Thereby costing you more in the long run for software that only the admins use. Not really cost effective. It has its place however, I use it all the time.
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Jan 21 2005, 06:31 AM
Post #19

Believe everything I post

Member No.: 35

Qarl,

I gotta agree with the experts here. I don't think you are buying much going to a thin client.

However, let's look at some alternatives to lower your licensing costs. I have created some very happy customers by switching them over to Open Office. From their site:

" OpenOffice.org 1.1 gives you everything you'd expect in office software. You can create dynamic documents, analyse data, design eye-catching presentations, produce dramatic illustrations, and open up your databases. You can publish your work in Portable Document Format (.pdf), and release your graphics in Flash (.swf) format - without needing any additional software. OpenOffice.org 1.1 is now available for more users than ever, with support for complex text layout (CTL) languages (such as Thai, Hindi, Arabic, and Hebrew) and vertical writing languages.

If you're used to using other office suites - such as Microsoft Office - you'll be completely at home with OpenOffice.org 1.1. However, as you become used to OpenOffice.org 1.1, you'll start to appreciate the extras that make your life easier. You can of course continue to use your old Microsoft Office files without any problems - and if you need to exchange files with people still using Microsoft Office, that's no problem either. "

So, you could save about $400 per workstation by using OpenOffice versus Microsoft Office Professional. You can also save on Acrobat licenses since OpenOffice provdies for the creation of pdf files already.

It's worth a few minutes to download and check out. I think you'll be impressed.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jan 21 2005, 11:04 AM
Post #20

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

Hmm I was gonna chime in as Ive BTDT (and still do)... it seemed to much like WORK!!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif) and thats why I kick around on this board to escape (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif) the dreaded paying job. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/lol2.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 06:18 AM