Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Euro Plate Question
76-914
post Jul 14 2014, 07:48 PM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

What is the proper method of mounting Euro plates to the front bumper, both styles. One late style bumper and one chrome bumper. I bought a set and have 2 different bumpers to dress. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) TIA, Kent
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Jul 14 2014, 08:27 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,889

Euro plates normally come with a plastic plate holder. . it screws into the bunper, and has little
plastic clips that hold the plate in it. .
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jul 15 2014, 01:05 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 14 2014, 06:48 PM) *

What is the proper method of mounting Euro plates to the front bumper, both styles. One late style bumper and one chrome bumper. I bought a set and have 2 different bumpers to dress. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) TIA, Kent

And when the CHP officer asks why you don't have a Ca. license plate on the front? Drop the Texas drawl and try to learn a few phrases in German. Or French. Or Italian. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
johannes
post Jul 15 2014, 01:48 AM
Post #4

Club Porsche 914 France President

Member No.: 5,409
Region Association: France

In France we don't have any frame. Plates are riveted to the bumper (or the body). We are also allowed for slightely smaller plates at the front end. 455x100 mm (instead of 520x110 that is kind of euro standard).
I installed a 455x100 on the front bumper. The aluminium plate can be bent to fit the curvature of the bumper. The hight also matches perfectly.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i46.servimg.com-5409-1405410511.1.jpg)

At the rear I put an euro standard plate in a frame. Both were recut to fit the narrower recess in the big bumpers. Only germans use frames.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i46.servimg.com-5409-1405410513.2.jpg)
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jul 15 2014, 07:08 AM
Post #5

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

See: http://www.licenseplates.tv/european-plate-holde-264.html

+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 15 2014, 08:24 AM
Post #6

Thx guys. And, if I get tagged by the cops, so be it! I haven't run a front plate in years and haven't been tagged yet. It's one of those add on items. IOW, if I get pulled over it might get added to another ticket but in reality those guys are too busy with bigger things; usually! If I get one I'm making the prediction that it will be from a motorcycle cop. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Jul 15 2014, 09:58 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 12,889

California V C Section 5103 Environmental License Plates Defined
Environmental License Plates: Defined

5103. "Environmental license plates," as used in this article, means license plates or permanent trailer identification plates that have displayed upon them the registration number assigned to the passenger vehicle, commercial motor vehicle, motorcycle, trailer, or trailer semitrailer for which a registration number was issued in a combination of letters or numbers, or both, requested by the owner or lessee of the vehicle. .

For what it's worth, if you have a 'vanity plate' and get the same numbers printed on a real Euro plate, does it conform to the vehicle code as written ???

The Calif Vehicle code says nothing about being the actual plate issued by DMV, only that the plate have the numbers issued by DMV. . and Yes, I had a cop ask me about the plate, I gave him my explanation , and didn't get cited. . I asked an attorney who specalized in vehicle infractions, and he had never thought of this possible loophole, but felt it was an adequate defense if cited. .
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jul 15 2014, 10:03 AM
Post #8

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

I have a Euro plate with my state issued lic number on it. No problems. The company that sells the plate frames also customizes plates for the country of your choice.
+Quote Post
larryM
post Jul 15 2014, 10:12 AM
Post #9

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

one of our members got tagged twice by CHP in the past 12 months - first got a "fixit" then got a fine when he put it back on after the fixit

CHP is currently on a enforcement kick to catch CA drivers in out-of-state reg'd cars that they own & are not paying CA taxes on

so newbie chips are scrutinizing plates for opportunities to look good to the boss

this too shall pass
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 15 2014, 11:13 AM
Post #10

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

In Texas they require a front license plate. The Texas Rangers will issue you a ticket if you don't have one and it is not a cheap fine. And you can only use the plate issued or a vintage Texas plate. Nothing else is allowed. You can't cover any part of the plate either or cut it down. There was a big stink a few years back when the DPS was ticketing people with license plate frames that covered part of the plate. The new car dealers were putting them on, and they fought the DPS on those tickets.

The DPS justifies the front plate requirements by saying it makes the car easier to identify in the case of a crime, but they really only want it for a target for the speed laser.

If it were me, I would get rid of the front plates. They are just a waste of metal.

+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jul 15 2014, 11:36 AM
Post #11

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Fake "European" plates are used to identify the poseurs among us ...............

The Cap'n

+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Jul 15 2014, 09:50 PM
Post #12

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 15 2014, 09:36 AM) *

Fake "European" plates are used to identify the poseurs among us ...............

The Cap'n

Is it good or bad to be a "poseur"? Sounds like one of them fancy "European" words.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 15 2014, 10:20 PM
Post #13

Oh thank fucking goodness. Mine are the real deal! Properly cancelled Euro plates. I might have worried my pretentious ass off about such an important detail. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif) And thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) Toolman, you add considerable value to every post with your constructive comments. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:35 PM