Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Euro Plate Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
What is the proper method of mounting Euro plates to the front bumper, both styles. One late style bumper and one chrome bumper. I bought a set and have 2 different bumpers to dress. biggrin.gif TIA, Kent
toolguy
Euro plates normally come with a plastic plate holder. . it screws into the bunper, and has little
plastic clips that hold the plate in it. .
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 14 2014, 06:48 PM) *

What is the proper method of mounting Euro plates to the front bumper, both styles. One late style bumper and one chrome bumper. I bought a set and have 2 different bumpers to dress. biggrin.gif TIA, Kent

And when the CHP officer asks why you don't have a Ca. license plate on the front? Drop the Texas drawl and try to learn a few phrases in German. Or French. Or Italian. poke.gif av-943.gif
johannes
In France we don't have any frame. Plates are riveted to the bumper (or the body). We are also allowed for slightely smaller plates at the front end. 455x100 mm (instead of 520x110 that is kind of euro standard).
I installed a 455x100 on the front bumper. The aluminium plate can be bent to fit the curvature of the bumper. The hight also matches perfectly.

IPB Image

At the rear I put an euro standard plate in a frame. Both were recut to fit the narrower recess in the big bumpers. Only germans use frames.

IPB Image
jim_hoyland
See: http://www.licenseplates.tv/european-plate-holde-264.html

76-914
Thx guys. And, if I get tagged by the cops, so be it! I haven't run a front plate in years and haven't been tagged yet. It's one of those add on items. IOW, if I get pulled over it might get added to another ticket but in reality those guys are too busy with bigger things; usually! If I get one I'm making the prediction that it will be from a motorcycle cop. sad.gif
toolguy

California V C Section 5103 Environmental License Plates Defined
Environmental License Plates: Defined

5103. "Environmental license plates," as used in this article, means license plates or permanent trailer identification plates that have displayed upon them the registration number assigned to the passenger vehicle, commercial motor vehicle, motorcycle, trailer, or trailer semitrailer for which a registration number was issued in a combination of letters or numbers, or both, requested by the owner or lessee of the vehicle. .

For what it's worth, if you have a 'vanity plate' and get the same numbers printed on a real Euro plate, does it conform to the vehicle code as written ???

The Calif Vehicle code says nothing about being the actual plate issued by DMV, only that the plate have the numbers issued by DMV. . and Yes, I had a cop ask me about the plate, I gave him my explanation , and didn't get cited. . I asked an attorney who specalized in vehicle infractions, and he had never thought of this possible loophole, but felt it was an adequate defense if cited. .
jim_hoyland
I have a Euro plate with my state issued lic number on it. No problems. The company that sells the plate frames also customizes plates for the country of your choice.
larryM
one of our members got tagged twice by CHP in the past 12 months - first got a "fixit" then got a fine when he put it back on after the fixit

CHP is currently on a enforcement kick to catch CA drivers in out-of-state reg'd cars that they own & are not paying CA taxes on

so newbie chips are scrutinizing plates for opportunities to look good to the boss

this too shall pass
ClayPerrine
In Texas they require a front license plate. The Texas Rangers will issue you a ticket if you don't have one and it is not a cheap fine. And you can only use the plate issued or a vintage Texas plate. Nothing else is allowed. You can't cover any part of the plate either or cut it down. There was a big stink a few years back when the DPS was ticketing people with license plate frames that covered part of the plate. The new car dealers were putting them on, and they fought the DPS on those tickets.

The DPS justifies the front plate requirements by saying it makes the car easier to identify in the case of a crime, but they really only want it for a target for the speed laser.

If it were me, I would get rid of the front plates. They are just a waste of metal.

Cap'n Krusty
Fake "European" plates are used to identify the poseurs among us ...............

The Cap'n

bigkensteele
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 15 2014, 09:36 AM) *

Fake "European" plates are used to identify the poseurs among us ...............

The Cap'n

Is it good or bad to be a "poseur"? Sounds like one of them fancy "European" words.

popcorn[1].gif
76-914
Oh thank fucking goodness. Mine are the real deal! Properly cancelled Euro plates. I might have worried my pretentious ass off about such an important detail. finger.gif And thanks pray.gif Toolman, you add considerable value to every post with your constructive comments. smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.