Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 911 Dilemma, WTF
Steve
post Jul 18 2014, 03:09 PM
Post #61

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

With all this press, you should bump up the insurance...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jul 18 2014, 03:38 PM
Post #62

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

bumping insurance has got to be the best advice yet!
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 18 2014, 04:10 PM
Post #63

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

We're good Steve, and I do appreciate your insight. It's never been a big secret and we've accounted for that 'possibility', although a reevaluation is sound advice based on recent market changes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) ... I'll call the old Hag back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/call me.gif)

I originally replied to the recent Bird Board inquiry with the "an offer would need to be in excess of $150K", based on a couple of offers from a couple of years ago. I had no intention of selling at 150, just wanted to see what he might be thinking. Again, since I hadn't followed the recent market, I asked for opinions from a few sources.

The gentleman didn't provide a dollar figure until yesterday, and it was considerably higher than the 150, but I'm hearing numbers even higher numbers from the '232' group as well as from knowledgeable folks here.

As for non-disclosure, that's pretty much a given, Kev, but it is a very noteworthy point to bring up. EDIT: Oh, and lunch is on me.

For the time being, I am going to continue working on some aspects of the restoration. I plan to complete the reassembly of the drive train - it's half way there already.

Head spinning? ... I'd be lying if I said it wasn't, but I'm actually pretty level-headed and won't do anything rash ...

Mortgages are already paid off, Travis (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ... remember, I'm kind of an old fart (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jul 18 2014, 05:14 PM
Post #64

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Then get a fake set of those titties you always wanted!! whoop whoop!!
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 18 2014, 06:58 PM
Post #65

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jul 18 2014, 07:39 PM
Post #66

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

So, what does Dianne plan on doing with all this money? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) I've already spoken to her about it by the way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
larryM
post Jul 18 2014, 08:20 PM
Post #67

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

we had this same conversation in this past year about Greg Fullmer's Glockler 914-6-GT

he sold it

and is now <quote> " ... driving a Cayman R. I miss the green car but enjoy the AC. I ran my 1st auto X in it last weekend. A lot of fun. .... working on restoring my 356 so am staying busy"

+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jul 18 2014, 09:30 PM
Post #68

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 18 2014, 03:10 PM) *

We're good Steve, and I do appreciate your insight. It's never been a big secret and we've accounted for that 'possibility', although a reevaluation is sound advice based on recent market changes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) ... I'll call the old Hag back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/call me.gif)

I originally replied to the recent Bird Board inquiry with the "an offer would need to be in excess of $150K", based on a couple of offers from a couple of years ago. I had no intention of selling at 150, just wanted to see what he might be thinking. Again, since I hadn't followed the recent market, I asked for opinions from a few sources.

The gentleman didn't provide a dollar figure until yesterday, and it was considerably higher than the 150, but I'm hearing numbers even higher numbers from the '232' group as well as from knowledgeable folks here.

As for non-disclosure, that's pretty much a given, Kev, but it is a very noteworthy point to bring up. EDIT: Oh, and lunch is on me.

For the time being, I am going to continue working on some aspects of the restoration. I plan to complete the reassembly of the drive train - it's half way there already.

Head spinning? ... I'd be lying if I said it wasn't, but I'm actually pretty level-headed and won't do anything rash ...

Mortgages are already paid off, Travis (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ... remember, I'm kind of an old fart (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Ride the High = Sell. timing is everything0... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Jul 19 2014, 04:55 AM
Post #69

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

This is like watching a "Barn Find" story unfold in real time! Get Jamie to film a video, then the $$$ will really take off.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 19 2014, 06:34 AM
Post #70

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

looking forward to the "chasing classic car" episode. tell wayne howdy from the good folks @ 914world. ha
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Jul 19 2014, 06:53 AM
Post #71

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Insurance and potential hassle of ownership of a true classic was mentioned in an earlier post.

As a side note, I caught up with John Paterek last year, he had sold his Porsche America for a princely sum. I saw it a few times in the 80's when I lived out east, what an amazing vehicle. He paid less than 20K, which was a boatload of money back then.

But part of selling was he was the worry associated with the classic. He originally stored it in a rust-free purpose-built hole under his house but as values rose he had to insure it, stored it elsewhere and he became worried about theft and damage.

Then he drove it to Hershey and an unaware SUV cut him off accidentally. No, he didn't get into an accident, but he reluctantly sold after that. He realized he could no longer enjoy it. Paid off the house, kids college, bought a 356 and had some left over.

Paul
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jul 19 2014, 07:37 AM
Post #72

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

Sell ....

How many non-running cars are on your property today?

And about that 2.7L .............. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 19 2014, 07:39 AM
Post #73

That rings so true, Paul. Several years after we were married, my wife asked me when I was going to finish it up so she could drive it. I think she lost interest when I told her that she wasn't going to get to drive it.

When I saw the look on her face, I had to explain that I wouldn't be driving either. Out of the trailer and onto the grass ... and then I'd accept sealed bids for it.

I'm not like Jay Leno. I can't afford to drive around half-million dollar cars without worrying about the potential damage issues (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

... I don't get paid good money for my jokes either (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 19 2014, 07:55 AM
Post #74

obviously...
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 19 2014, 08:20 AM
Post #75

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 19 2014, 06:55 AM) *
obviously...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 19 2014, 06:37 AM) *
Sell ....

How many non-running cars are on your property today?

Not as many as you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Yeah yeah - 2.7, I know

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 18 2014, 06:39 PM) *
So, what does Dianne plan on doing with all this money? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) I've already spoken to her about it by the way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
She misses THOMAS, so we'll probably take a trip to the Fatherland for one
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jul 19 2014, 08:59 AM
Post #76

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 19 2014, 07:20 AM) *

Not as many as you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Yeah yeah - 2.7, I know

All four of mine run and are drivable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

I keep getting chided for not painting The Grey Ghost and fixing the oil leaks. Well, I like to drive the car and shelling out $3K for paint and then worrying about rock chips, etc., would make me not drive it at all. Oil leaks ... just a convenient way of having fresh oil at all times. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Restore the car, tear up the front yard and build a clear glass environmentally controlled, fully secured chamber for it off the house so you can sit in your living room and admire the pile of metal that is worth a bazillion dollars.

+Quote Post
naro914
post Jul 22 2014, 07:16 AM
Post #77

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 19 2014, 08:53 AM) *

Insurance and potential hassle of ownership of a true classic was mentioned in an earlier post.

As a side note, I caught up with John Paterek last year, he had sold his Porsche America for a princely sum. I saw it a few times in the 80's when I lived out east, what an amazing vehicle. He paid less than 20K, which was a boatload of money back then.

But part of selling was he was the worry associated with the classic. He originally stored it in a rust-free purpose-built hole under his house but as values rose he had to insure it, stored it elsewhere and he became worried about theft and damage.

Then he drove it to Hershey and an unaware SUV cut him off accidentally. No, he didn't get into an accident, but he reluctantly sold after that. He realized he could no longer enjoy it. Paid off the house, kids college, bought a 356 and had some left over.

Paul

I knew Paterek's when we lived in NJ and remember that car, it was his pride and joy...but eventually the 'joy' started turning into a bit of 'fear' for exactly what you said. At one point I think he turned down an offer from the factory. Not sure who he eventually sold it to, but he actually had the look of relief next time I saw him. They bought a 'driver' 356 that they could enjoy and not worry about as much.

Sure, if you're a Leno, Seinfeld, Ingram, Canepa, etc and have the facilities and resources to store and protect such a car, that's great. But some of us mear mortals typically can't expend those resources just for one car...then again, maybe I'm wrong??

Good luck with whatever your decision!!
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 22 2014, 11:07 AM
Post #78

I rounded up the 'machinable' engine components yesterday and they're headed to the machinist for evaluation. It ran great when I tore it down (to replace the oil cooler seals and oil return tubes), so I'm not expecting a large outlay for the machine work ... just some minor clean up and possibly polishing, then reassembly.

Still haven't come to any conclusions, but at least I'm giving the old gal some time and consideration. I am still planning on obtaining current day estimates and quotes for the tasks that are beyond my capabilities. It's not like I forgot how to turn wrenches, I just can't grasp them with the same energy level I had when I first started in on her (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Another thing to consider, if I do sell her, I can use the proceeds to invest in an industrial property and see if the rental income will completely pay the mortgage. I don't see many vacancies down this way, so Ill have my cousin start rounding up some listings (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 22 2014, 11:13 AM
Post #79

well then. just put the engine in and autocross it.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jul 22 2014, 08:37 PM
Post #80

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

Oh the taxes !
Advertise and sell the car for the highest offer.
BUY the best hot rod pre '74 you can find. It will be more fun than any stock 911 ever was. It will be very usable and no hassle to enjoy.
And best of all the fun begins with practically no delay.
Tempis Figit.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 01:45 AM