Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your Personal 914 History, When did you get the bug and how bad?
Qarl
post May 31 2003, 08:32 AM
Post #1

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271
Region Association: None

1. How were you first introduced to 914s? (Relative, first car, always wondered what it was, AX event, etc.)

2. How old were you when you first drove a 914?

3. How many 914s have you owned, including now? (Year, displacement, color)

4. How would you describe your 914 bug?

a. Ehhh... Anyone want to buy my 914?
b. Casual interest - I'm still learning
c. Interested/Enthused - these cars are the best
d. Severely infected - I'm contagious. Admit me to the E/R now
e. Lost Cause - I will probably give up the ghost while driving in my beloved teener!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Qarl
post May 31 2003, 08:32 AM
Post #2

Shriveled member

Member No.: 271

I'll be first

1. My uncle had an olympic blue 1974 2.0 with carbs. Sort of beat up, but he worked on it whenever I visited. I learned to drive stick shift in that car. He later bought a very nice 1973 1.7L Zambezi green with brown interior.

2. I was 15 years old.

3. 16 yrs old until 19 yrs old - 1975 1.8L Zambezi green with tan interior, center console, and FI. (SOLD). 25 yrs old - 1974 Signal Orange 1.8L, FI, AC, Center console, tan interior (SOLD). 29 yrs old - 1974 roller - red - no engine - (SOLD). 31 yrs old - 1975 1.8L Summer Yellow - my current 914-6 conversion car

4. Severly infected - wish I had MORE time to spend on it. Unfortunately family and work come first.
+Quote Post
dbelleperc
post May 31 2003, 08:54 AM
Post #3

DoN't MaKe FuN oF mE i Am SlOw

Group: Members
Member No.: 418

1. My uncle had a 73 2.0L and 72 1.7L
2. I was 16 now 18
3. 1 914 1970 1.7L someday a 3.0L 6 Cyl
4. When you can out handle a Ferrari 360 through the mountains and like every car nut just like the looks of the car and performance.
5. How I got really hooked? My first ride in a 6 cyl 914. And may I add it was a 3.2 liter.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post May 31 2003, 08:59 AM
Post #4

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

Uncle gave me a 73 2.0 "restoration" project. rebuilt it, learned to drive stick in it.

I was 16, now 17

THis is my first teener, hopefully not the last!

Severely infected (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post May 31 2003, 09:14 AM
Post #5

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I was 18 years old (1970) and a friends girlfriend showed up to drive us somewhere in one of the first 914's in Seattle, it was her graduation present. It was white, we took the top off and drove around Seattle that summers eve.
Test drove them at the dealer in 76 but couldn't get the new wife to go for it.
Bought my 76 in 1995 so I could finally have one and have been working on it ever since.
I have owned just 2 914's. jeez I am not stupid like some of you guys!
Severly infected!
Got on the internet in 95 too, just so I could figure out how to fix it.
Geoff
+Quote Post
airsix
post May 31 2003, 09:48 AM
Post #6

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

1) 1982 Age ~11, already a Porsche nut. Walked past a parked 914. Skinny tires, steel wheels, nose-high . Saw "PORSCHE" on the engine grill. Thought "No way! That ugly turd? A Porsche? Funniest looking car I've ever seen."
1a) 1984 Age 14, sitting in drivers-ed class watching video about driving slow to conserve fuel. (yawn) Zambezi Green 914 with Fuchs breifly featured as "The agressive driver who will arive at his destination later than the slow car because he will have to refuel." Car was low, shiny, and looked great. I thought "Wow. That's the little Porsche I saw before. This one looks much nicer."
1b) 1988 Age 17, Neighbor of my friend owns a machine shop. Nice guy, always calling us over to see his latest project. One day shows us the '73 2.0 he is putting back together (just back from paint shop). everything is painted, polished, or plated. The car is stunning. Shock and Awe. A few weeks later car is assembled and seen on the street across from the theatre while waiting for a movie. Parked alone across the street like on display. Most beautifu black paint I've ever seen. Lowered and on mirror pollished fuchs. The car is a litteral show-stopper. EVERYONE stops and stares. Pedestrians, cars, eveyone. It looks spectacular and I tell my best friend "I'm going to own one of those."
2) 1992 Back from 2 years of missionary work in the Philippines. Moved to Washington, got a job, started scoping for 914's. Knocked on a few doors..."Wanna sell your 914?" Got a bite on the second try. First drive. Wrote a contract on notebook paper, gave $100 earnest money, and rode a bicycle to work for the next 6 weeks saving every dime. Drove home my new 914. ('72 1.7 yellow) Had 210,000 miles on it. I put on another 40k getting through college. Sold to buy pickup to move my new bride and me in '95.
3) 2000 - Been out of school for a few years. Have good job and house. Been longing for my 914 for 5 years. Start looking and find a '73 Olympic Blue 1.7 that's been in storage on a farm for 15 years. Good deal, I bring it home. 5-years of pain begins to fade. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
4) Bug? You mean my mental illness? Don't mistake it for loyalty - I'm interested in any mid-engined 2,000lb sports car with excellent handling and power potential. The 914 fits the bill nicely, but I wouldn't kick a Radical or an Elise out of the garage if it followed me home either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
Maine914
post May 31 2003, 10:05 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 215

Mid-life crisis: gave the wife a choice. 1) I could have an affair with another woman. 2)I could abuse drugs and alcohol. 3)I could buy an old sports car to fix up. She chose 3. I chose a 914 over a 911 because I think they are more fun to drive on the winding roads of Maine.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post May 31 2003, 10:07 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Great topic Karl.

1. My Dad. He never owned a 914 because we just always waited for "the right one". From 1981-87 we looked at every car for sale in the small Midwestern town we lived in. All were just a bit too rusty or had odd "enhancements" done to them. I went off to college and bought one, but it wasn't "the one". He died in late 2001 of cancer. Had a lot of time on his hands during treatment and started searching on the internet for a 914. He e-mailed me about this blue '75 he saw on PP. Didn't know why, but he wanted it. It's in my garage. It's "the one".
2. First drive at 21 years old. Carbed '74 1.8L. Ran like a top. Bought it for $1500.
3. 3 914s so far

'74 1.8L no options, Sunflower Yellow
'73 2.0L all options, rusty as hell. Silver I parted it
'75 1.8L rust free Laguna Blue

4. I am severely infected with the 914 bug. Don't come near me!

Chris H.
'75 1.8L with 72 horses
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post May 31 2003, 10:45 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 71
Region Association: Southern California

I was in Junoir High when they came out. I thought they looked pretty cool but living in a small midwestern town I don't remember seeing more than a couple ever (scarsity = GOOD). But, the 914 and 911 got imprinted along with some various British cars (some BTDT, some still on the list) in my youth.

All kinds of distractions kept the teener at bay for many years. Then I decided that I wanted to learn how to drive. Not just like here to the Circle K. Like racing driving, leading from AX to who knows what. I remembered the 914 and selected it over a 911 and started searching. First 914 drive was at age 40. I wasn't that impressed at the time (wasn't a well sorted example) but could see the potential. Bought one at 41 which was stock and drove nice. Wondered why I waited so long...? I own one 914. I can drive it anytime I want. I'm in the process of converting it to "well sorted" (not a project - except for the occasional obsessive pursuit/rebuild). I don't plan on buying any more. Like a friend of mine (also a car nut) said: "...you'll be able to mess around with that car for 10 years EASY." He's right. It's a keeper.

The bug? I'm probably a lost cause.

Have fun,
Kevin
+Quote Post
Mike's2nd914
post May 31 2003, 11:01 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 616

1987, a buddy of mine found a '73 1.7(?) with twin carbs in the junk yard behind a body shop. About that same time, I found a perfect '75 1.8 for sale in a parking lot and started watching it. The bug started biting and I gave the guy $100.00 earnest money on the $3,250.00 agreed price. I sold my little Nissan p/u and bought the teener. My buddy had worked out a deal with the guy at the body shop to pull the car out of the yard, replace the floor pan, put a working motor in it, paint it, put some tires and wheels on it and some basic interior. I think he gave the guy about $2,000.00 for the finished product. We ran those cars for about two years. I decided to sell mine and ran an ad in the local paper. My buddy started taking about selling his. Someone came to look at mine and while they were looking, I decided I could not part with it quite yet. Not to disapoint the customer, I called my buddy. He brought his car over and the guy bought it. A couple of months later, I sold mine, too. I have always regretted it. The lady who bought mine still has it to this day and takes great care of it. I have asked her to sell it back to me several times but she just loves it.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago. My wife suprised me by buying a '74 2.0 and sneaking it to Birmingham on a trailer with the same old buddy that had the other 914 back in the 80's. It is a fairly loaded car with dealer installed air. It needs a lot of work but I have already started with the help of some of the members here.

My level of sickness, well, I have a pretty serious "anything with a motor" fetish with a strong soft spot for the 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty
post May 31 2003, 11:41 AM
Post #11

The Fun Never Stops

Member No.: 718

(1) Introduced to 914’s by Car & Driver / Road & Track in high school. I was the weird kid that liked sports cars and F1 racing… although there was this really cool purple ‘cuda that a friend had. Knew I wanted something “inexpensive” (ah, hindsight!), small and light that wasn’t British (learned that by helping a friend with his Bugeye...constantlybroken) or Fiat. When it came time to buy a car for college, I tried to be sensible for my parents. I looked at Dodge Omnis/Plymouth Horizons (almost bought one that had an “Omni” stripe on one side and a “Horizon” stripe on the other… great production line quality control!), I looked at Toyotas and Datsuns. All looked and drove like cheap crappy cars. Then, at the VW dealer (hated the seating position in the Rabbit), there was this used 914 1.8. Parents seemed to think it was safe (“It’s only a 1.8…and look at that crush space up front! And it doesn’t have a back seat!”). And then came the test drive…

(2) I was 19. It was a test drive. Loved the car! Best $3500 I ever spent (after talking them down from $4200. The heat exchanger/exhaust system was a rusty piece of crap).

(3) I’ve owned 2. The first was an Ancona Blue 1975 1.8 with a white interior and every option except A/C. I kept that car for 22 years – until I decided to sell it due to terminal rust (due to a poor repair job after being rear-ended). Six months after parting/selling it, I convinced my wife that I needed another (“I’ve got all these parts for a six conversion!” It wasn’t hard: she liked the 914 too). My current car started out as an Olympic Blue 1974 1.8 with no options. It’s now a 2.7 six with lots of optional stuff.

(4) I’m definitely “e. Lost Cause”
+Quote Post
seanery
post May 31 2003, 12:13 PM
Post #12

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

1. One of my coworker's mother-in-law passed away and it was her toy.
2. 19 It was a good looking white 76. I fell in love immediately. I told my friends after it died that I would have another someday
3. 19-21 '76 2.0 White 31-Now '74 2.0 Alaska Blue itza 2.7-6 track car 34-Now '72 2.0 White bought in December '02
4. D- I love these cars-I'll probably own one til I die-just don't wanna die in one!

I've had a 356, a 944 turbo and 3 914's. These are the most fun to drive. The turbo is so damn fast and the 356 is just plain cool, but I prefer these little ugly ducklings. I have been a 911 freak since I was 6. I used to draw them in school instead of studying. When I was in high school I used to make fun of a kid who drove a kelly green teener, used to tell my friends-"It's not a real Porsche." "You can't even get in the Porsche Club with one of those." "It's got a bug motor in it!" Well, after my first drive I was hooked and am not ashamed to eat crow in front of anyone!!
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post May 31 2003, 12:58 PM
Post #13

ELVIRA

Member No.: 481

1. I was @ 14 when I first saw a 914. Given a choice I would have taken it over a 911 or 356. I liked it from the beginning. Thought it was cool that the top came off. Plus the engine was in the middle like a real race car.

2. At 18 I had my first test drive. A new 74 from a dealer. It was to expensive so I bought a used Austin Healey.

3. I have owned 3. Nice stock black 74 1.8. White 72 POS never finished project. Current car is a 74 race only car. I am currently looking for another one to be able to drive on the street.

4. E. You can pry my cold dead fingers from around the steering wheel.
+Quote Post
Mountain914
post May 31 2003, 01:41 PM
Post #14

Too much time in thin air!

Member No.: 725
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

1. How were you first introduced to 914s? (Relative, first car, always wondered what it was, AX event, etc.)
I've been involved in PCA events for years - due to relatives and watching the 914-6's win most events (and the monteray historics was the kicker recently) I've always wanted a 914 (read: MID engine).

2. How old were you when you first drove a 914?
Drove?
25 or so.

3. How many 914s have you owned, including now? (Year, displacement, color)
Total of two (with a 944 turbo in between).
First one was a 71, fresh built 2.0L, bahia red (attached a picture). Bought in Boulder Colorado in 91 and sold it to a guy in Boulder sometime in 95 I think.
Second (and current) one - well, it's yellow so it must be fast, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) A mix of a factory-6 72 (parts car) and a 72 4 (body). It's now a 3.0L that has not been left alone (poor thing). Something is always changing on it but I think I'm almost there (hmmm.. anybody selling a 3.6?)

4. How would you describe your 914 bug?

a. Ehhh... Anyone want to buy my 914?
b. Casual interest - I'm still learning
c. Interested/Enthused - these cars are the best
d. Severely infected - I'm contagious. Admit me to the E/R now
e. Lost Cause - I will probably give up the ghost while driving in my beloved teener!

Just look at the 9 year project I own now - obviously I have gone way over the edge! With my luck though it will die in the garage during an all-too-common forest fire while I am at work. (Gotta work to keep up the habit!)
(IMG:http://gallery.rennlist.com/albums/album56/GreatSide.thumb.jpg)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post May 31 2003, 08:12 PM
Post #15

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

1. I remember them when they came out. I was in high school and I remember everyone saying that they were N.A.R.P. I first drove one about 7-8 years ago that belonged to a friend. I don't recall being that impressed. About 5 years ago I had just gotten out of kart racing (125cc shifters) and was in the market for a toy. I looked at MG's, Alfa's, TR6's etc. I also looked at a few 914s. Then I got the Jan. 1999 issue of European Car magazine which featured the 914. It seemed like the car to get for the money. I found one in Columbus OH, 200 miles away. went down and bought it and drove it home. It was a rust bucket, though, and I realised after 3 years of ownership that it would be cheaper to sell it and buy a nicer one, than to try to repair and fix up the one I had, so, last labor day I sold it and last Nov. bought the one I currently own - a very nice unmolested original '76 FI'd 2.0 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) I flew out to San Francisco, picked it up and drove it 3000 miles home over the next 4 days. What a great trip!!!Here I am "livin large" on the way home with my new baby:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post May 31 2003, 08:15 PM
Post #16

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

Here's the first car I had (before I knew what to look for when buying:
(It looks good from afar, but was far from good)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 31 2003, 08:23 PM
Post #17

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

There was one down the street from my house. We used to pass it walking to/from school. "That's a Porsche? It sure is ugly!" all of my friends would say. I've lusted for an early 911 ever since, but, I digress. I picked up the 1976 Road and Track Sports & GT cars at the age of 14 to find out all about that little P-car. I carried that thing with me every where I went until I read it from cover to cover. I've been buying/building/rebuilding/selling parts and cars that I wanted as a teen since my mid-thirties (once I had the money to "play" with rusty cars).

I was in my early thirties before I actually drove one. The dealer wanted too much $$$ - I passed. Finally bought my first one, oh, 3 years ago? I've had 4, 2 are still with me. Well you know the story form here, one of them is really just 2 pieces of a former 914, the other an original 914/6 under the knife.

I'm severly infected. Just look at my "rusto" thread and I'm sure you'll agree. But everything is for sale....

Next!?!?!?!?! Who knows. I still want an early Camaro or Nova
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post May 31 2003, 08:49 PM
Post #18

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Saw my first one in 1972 and took my first ride in one in 73...a 2.0.

I was into bugs, did the "Cal Look" and raced them at the bugins....

Brought my first one home, a 70 with a bad body kit. Drove the 1.7 till it died, then a 2.0, then a 2.4, then a 3.0/6.....knicknamed the "rocket"....it was going to be free...it was sitting next to my brother in laws for five years....then my wife opened her yap and I had to give the guy 200 bucks.

I've owned and riven and sold over 30 914s, a few original sixes and conversions.....

Currently have a 2.0 in storage that gets worke on after the 356 is running and the Porsche garage is finished.....
+Quote Post
PatW
post May 31 2003, 10:41 PM
Post #19

Wassup?

Member No.: 317
Region Association: Northern California

Took a ride with my Dad in the early 80's in a 73 1.7 while I was still in my muscle car phase. I was amased how well it handled with the skinny little tires. Did the mu$cle car thing untill I got out of my system and in 97 bought a Lagoon Blue 75 2.0. Had it rear ended right in front of my condo complex back in 99. Now I drive a orange 70 1.7 I bought, fall of 1999.

I have to admit its a love hate thing with me. Its not fast enough for my blood but, if I don't drive it for a while I start to miss it. Its likley a good thing I have a 914 because it dosent attract the attention of the cops. (its a 1.7) Gets good gas milage, cheep to insure and dosent break parts like a more powerfull car would.

Waiting for the day the 1.7 will toss its cookies and I can relpace it with a 2.0. I recently did the Zone 7 Autocross School and I'm now wondering if there is a cure for the autocross bug. I seem to be infected.

Pat
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post May 31 2003, 11:18 PM
Post #20

ELVIRA

Member No.: 481

QUOTE(PatW @ May 31 2003, 08:41 PM)
I'm now wondering if there is a cure for the autocross bug. I seem to be infected.

Pat

Autocrossing is considered by many experts to be a 'gateway drug'. If you are not careful it can lead to drivers ed. events, time trials and in many cases it has progressed to full fledged racing fever.

Psst - Hey kid. Wanna buy some nomex?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 12:06 AM