Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your Personal 914 History
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
1. How were you first introduced to 914s? (Relative, first car, always wondered what it was, AX event, etc.)

2. How old were you when you first drove a 914?

3. How many 914s have you owned, including now? (Year, displacement, color)

4. How would you describe your 914 bug?

a. Ehhh... Anyone want to buy my 914?
b. Casual interest - I'm still learning
c. Interested/Enthused - these cars are the best
d. Severely infected - I'm contagious. Admit me to the E/R now
e. Lost Cause - I will probably give up the ghost while driving in my beloved teener!
Qarl
I'll be first

1. My uncle had an olympic blue 1974 2.0 with carbs. Sort of beat up, but he worked on it whenever I visited. I learned to drive stick shift in that car. He later bought a very nice 1973 1.7L Zambezi green with brown interior.

2. I was 15 years old.

3. 16 yrs old until 19 yrs old - 1975 1.8L Zambezi green with tan interior, center console, and FI. (SOLD). 25 yrs old - 1974 Signal Orange 1.8L, FI, AC, Center console, tan interior (SOLD). 29 yrs old - 1974 roller - red - no engine - (SOLD). 31 yrs old - 1975 1.8L Summer Yellow - my current 914-6 conversion car

4. Severly infected - wish I had MORE time to spend on it. Unfortunately family and work come first.
dbelleperc
1. My uncle had a 73 2.0L and 72 1.7L
2. I was 16 now 18
3. 1 914 1970 1.7L someday a 3.0L 6 Cyl
4. When you can out handle a Ferrari 360 through the mountains and like every car nut just like the looks of the car and performance.
5. How I got really hooked? My first ride in a 6 cyl 914. And may I add it was a 3.2 liter.
Aaron Cox
Uncle gave me a 73 2.0 "restoration" project. rebuilt it, learned to drive stick in it.

I was 16, now 17

THis is my first teener, hopefully not the last!

Severely infected cool_shades.gif
Bleyseng
I was 18 years old (1970) and a friends girlfriend showed up to drive us somewhere in one of the first 914's in Seattle, it was her graduation present. It was white, we took the top off and drove around Seattle that summers eve.
Test drove them at the dealer in 76 but couldn't get the new wife to go for it.
Bought my 76 in 1995 so I could finally have one and have been working on it ever since.
I have owned just 2 914's. jeez I am not stupid like some of you guys!
Severly infected!
Got on the internet in 95 too, just so I could figure out how to fix it.
Geoff
airsix
1) 1982 Age ~11, already a Porsche nut. Walked past a parked 914. Skinny tires, steel wheels, nose-high . Saw "PORSCHE" on the engine grill. Thought "No way! That ugly turd? A Porsche? Funniest looking car I've ever seen."
1a) 1984 Age 14, sitting in drivers-ed class watching video about driving slow to conserve fuel. (yawn) Zambezi Green 914 with Fuchs breifly featured as "The agressive driver who will arive at his destination later than the slow car because he will have to refuel." Car was low, shiny, and looked great. I thought "Wow. That's the little Porsche I saw before. This one looks much nicer."
1b) 1988 Age 17, Neighbor of my friend owns a machine shop. Nice guy, always calling us over to see his latest project. One day shows us the '73 2.0 he is putting back together (just back from paint shop). everything is painted, polished, or plated. The car is stunning. Shock and Awe. A few weeks later car is assembled and seen on the street across from the theatre while waiting for a movie. Parked alone across the street like on display. Most beautifu black paint I've ever seen. Lowered and on mirror pollished fuchs. The car is a litteral show-stopper. EVERYONE stops and stares. Pedestrians, cars, eveyone. It looks spectacular and I tell my best friend "I'm going to own one of those."
2) 1992 Back from 2 years of missionary work in the Philippines. Moved to Washington, got a job, started scoping for 914's. Knocked on a few doors..."Wanna sell your 914?" Got a bite on the second try. First drive. Wrote a contract on notebook paper, gave $100 earnest money, and rode a bicycle to work for the next 6 weeks saving every dime. Drove home my new 914. ('72 1.7 yellow) Had 210,000 miles on it. I put on another 40k getting through college. Sold to buy pickup to move my new bride and me in '95.
3) 2000 - Been out of school for a few years. Have good job and house. Been longing for my 914 for 5 years. Start looking and find a '73 Olympic Blue 1.7 that's been in storage on a farm for 15 years. Good deal, I bring it home. 5-years of pain begins to fade. wub.gif
4) Bug? You mean my mental illness? Don't mistake it for loyalty - I'm interested in any mid-engined 2,000lb sports car with excellent handling and power potential. The 914 fits the bill nicely, but I wouldn't kick a Radical or an Elise out of the garage if it followed me home either. wink.gif

-Ben M.
Maine914
Mid-life crisis: gave the wife a choice. 1) I could have an affair with another woman. 2)I could abuse drugs and alcohol. 3)I could buy an old sports car to fix up. She chose 3. I chose a 914 over a 911 because I think they are more fun to drive on the winding roads of Maine.
Chris H.
Great topic Karl.

1. My Dad. He never owned a 914 because we just always waited for "the right one". From 1981-87 we looked at every car for sale in the small Midwestern town we lived in. All were just a bit too rusty or had odd "enhancements" done to them. I went off to college and bought one, but it wasn't "the one". He died in late 2001 of cancer. Had a lot of time on his hands during treatment and started searching on the internet for a 914. He e-mailed me about this blue '75 he saw on PP. Didn't know why, but he wanted it. It's in my garage. It's "the one".
2. First drive at 21 years old. Carbed '74 1.8L. Ran like a top. Bought it for $1500.
3. 3 914s so far

'74 1.8L no options, Sunflower Yellow
'73 2.0L all options, rusty as hell. Silver I parted it
'75 1.8L rust free Laguna Blue

4. I am severely infected with the 914 bug. Don't come near me!

Chris H.
'75 1.8L with 72 horses
kdfoust
I was in Junoir High when they came out. I thought they looked pretty cool but living in a small midwestern town I don't remember seeing more than a couple ever (scarsity = GOOD). But, the 914 and 911 got imprinted along with some various British cars (some BTDT, some still on the list) in my youth.

All kinds of distractions kept the teener at bay for many years. Then I decided that I wanted to learn how to drive. Not just like here to the Circle K. Like racing driving, leading from AX to who knows what. I remembered the 914 and selected it over a 911 and started searching. First 914 drive was at age 40. I wasn't that impressed at the time (wasn't a well sorted example) but could see the potential. Bought one at 41 which was stock and drove nice. Wondered why I waited so long...? I own one 914. I can drive it anytime I want. I'm in the process of converting it to "well sorted" (not a project - except for the occasional obsessive pursuit/rebuild). I don't plan on buying any more. Like a friend of mine (also a car nut) said: "...you'll be able to mess around with that car for 10 years EASY." He's right. It's a keeper.

The bug? I'm probably a lost cause.

Have fun,
Kevin
Mike's2nd914
1987, a buddy of mine found a '73 1.7(?) with twin carbs in the junk yard behind a body shop. About that same time, I found a perfect '75 1.8 for sale in a parking lot and started watching it. The bug started biting and I gave the guy $100.00 earnest money on the $3,250.00 agreed price. I sold my little Nissan p/u and bought the teener. My buddy had worked out a deal with the guy at the body shop to pull the car out of the yard, replace the floor pan, put a working motor in it, paint it, put some tires and wheels on it and some basic interior. I think he gave the guy about $2,000.00 for the finished product. We ran those cars for about two years. I decided to sell mine and ran an ad in the local paper. My buddy started taking about selling his. Someone came to look at mine and while they were looking, I decided I could not part with it quite yet. Not to disapoint the customer, I called my buddy. He brought his car over and the guy bought it. A couple of months later, I sold mine, too. I have always regretted it. The lady who bought mine still has it to this day and takes great care of it. I have asked her to sell it back to me several times but she just loves it.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago. My wife suprised me by buying a '74 2.0 and sneaking it to Birmingham on a trailer with the same old buddy that had the other 914 back in the 80's. It is a fairly loaded car with dealer installed air. It needs a lot of work but I have already started with the help of some of the members here.

My level of sickness, well, I have a pretty serious "anything with a motor" fetish with a strong soft spot for the 914. wub.gif
scotty
(1) Introduced to 914’s by Car & Driver / Road & Track in high school. I was the weird kid that liked sports cars and F1 racing… although there was this really cool purple ‘cuda that a friend had. Knew I wanted something “inexpensive” (ah, hindsight!), small and light that wasn’t British (learned that by helping a friend with his Bugeye...constantlybroken) or Fiat. When it came time to buy a car for college, I tried to be sensible for my parents. I looked at Dodge Omnis/Plymouth Horizons (almost bought one that had an “Omni” stripe on one side and a “Horizon” stripe on the other… great production line quality control!), I looked at Toyotas and Datsuns. All looked and drove like cheap crappy cars. Then, at the VW dealer (hated the seating position in the Rabbit), there was this used 914 1.8. Parents seemed to think it was safe (“It’s only a 1.8…and look at that crush space up front! And it doesn’t have a back seat!”). And then came the test drive…

(2) I was 19. It was a test drive. Loved the car! Best $3500 I ever spent (after talking them down from $4200. The heat exchanger/exhaust system was a rusty piece of crap).

(3) I’ve owned 2. The first was an Ancona Blue 1975 1.8 with a white interior and every option except A/C. I kept that car for 22 years – until I decided to sell it due to terminal rust (due to a poor repair job after being rear-ended). Six months after parting/selling it, I convinced my wife that I needed another (“I’ve got all these parts for a six conversion!” It wasn’t hard: she liked the 914 too). My current car started out as an Olympic Blue 1974 1.8 with no options. It’s now a 2.7 six with lots of optional stuff.

(4) I’m definitely “e. Lost Cause”
seanery
1. One of my coworker's mother-in-law passed away and it was her toy.
2. 19 It was a good looking white 76. I fell in love immediately. I told my friends after it died that I would have another someday
3. 19-21 '76 2.0 White 31-Now '74 2.0 Alaska Blue itza 2.7-6 track car 34-Now '72 2.0 White bought in December '02
4. D- I love these cars-I'll probably own one til I die-just don't wanna die in one!

I've had a 356, a 944 turbo and 3 914's. These are the most fun to drive. The turbo is so damn fast and the 356 is just plain cool, but I prefer these little ugly ducklings. I have been a 911 freak since I was 6. I used to draw them in school instead of studying. When I was in high school I used to make fun of a kid who drove a kelly green teener, used to tell my friends-"It's not a real Porsche." "You can't even get in the Porsche Club with one of those." "It's got a bug motor in it!" Well, after my first drive I was hooked and am not ashamed to eat crow in front of anyone!!
VegasRacer
1. I was @ 14 when I first saw a 914. Given a choice I would have taken it over a 911 or 356. I liked it from the beginning. Thought it was cool that the top came off. Plus the engine was in the middle like a real race car.

2. At 18 I had my first test drive. A new 74 from a dealer. It was to expensive so I bought a used Austin Healey.

3. I have owned 3. Nice stock black 74 1.8. White 72 POS never finished project. Current car is a 74 race only car. I am currently looking for another one to be able to drive on the street.

4. E. You can pry my cold dead fingers from around the steering wheel.
Mountain914
1. How were you first introduced to 914s? (Relative, first car, always wondered what it was, AX event, etc.)
I've been involved in PCA events for years - due to relatives and watching the 914-6's win most events (and the monteray historics was the kicker recently) I've always wanted a 914 (read: MID engine).

Drove?
25 or so.

Total of two (with a 944 turbo in between).
First one was a 71, fresh built 2.0L, bahia red (attached a picture). Bought in Boulder Colorado in 91 and sold it to a guy in Boulder sometime in 95 I think.
Second (and current) one - well, it's yellow so it must be fast, right? biggrin.gif A mix of a factory-6 72 (parts car) and a 72 4 (body). It's now a 3.0L that has not been left alone (poor thing). Something is always changing on it but I think I'm almost there (hmmm.. anybody selling a 3.6?)

e. Lost Cause - I will probably give up the ghost while driving in my beloved teener!

Just look at the 9 year project I own now - obviously I have gone way over the edge! With my luck though it will die in the garage during an all-too-common forest fire while I am at work. (Gotta work to keep up the habit!)
IPB Image
Curvie Roadlover
1. I remember them when they came out. I was in high school and I remember everyone saying that they were N.A.R.P. I first drove one about 7-8 years ago that belonged to a friend. I don't recall being that impressed. About 5 years ago I had just gotten out of kart racing (125cc shifters) and was in the market for a toy. I looked at MG's, Alfa's, TR6's etc. I also looked at a few 914s. Then I got the Jan. 1999 issue of European Car magazine which featured the 914. It seemed like the car to get for the money. I found one in Columbus OH, 200 miles away. went down and bought it and drove it home. It was a rust bucket, though, and I realised after 3 years of ownership that it would be cheaper to sell it and buy a nicer one, than to try to repair and fix up the one I had, so, last labor day I sold it and last Nov. bought the one I currently own - a very nice unmolested original '76 FI'd 2.0 wub.gif I flew out to San Francisco, picked it up and drove it 3000 miles home over the next 4 days. What a great trip!!!Here I am "livin large" on the way home with my new baby:
Curvie Roadlover
Here's the first car I had (before I knew what to look for when buying:
(It looks good from afar, but was far from good)
Gint
There was one down the street from my house. We used to pass it walking to/from school. "That's a Porsche? It sure is ugly!" all of my friends would say. I've lusted for an early 911 ever since, but, I digress. I picked up the 1976 Road and Track Sports & GT cars at the age of 14 to find out all about that little P-car. I carried that thing with me every where I went until I read it from cover to cover. I've been buying/building/rebuilding/selling parts and cars that I wanted as a teen since my mid-thirties (once I had the money to "play" with rusty cars).

I was in my early thirties before I actually drove one. The dealer wanted too much $$$ - I passed. Finally bought my first one, oh, 3 years ago? I've had 4, 2 are still with me. Well you know the story form here, one of them is really just 2 pieces of a former 914, the other an original 914/6 under the knife.

I'm severly infected. Just look at my "rusto" thread and I'm sure you'll agree. But everything is for sale....

Next!?!?!?!?! Who knows. I still want an early Camaro or Nova
Joe Bob
Saw my first one in 1972 and took my first ride in one in 73...a 2.0.

I was into bugs, did the "Cal Look" and raced them at the bugins....

Brought my first one home, a 70 with a bad body kit. Drove the 1.7 till it died, then a 2.0, then a 2.4, then a 3.0/6.....knicknamed the "rocket"....it was going to be free...it was sitting next to my brother in laws for five years....then my wife opened her yap and I had to give the guy 200 bucks.

I've owned and riven and sold over 30 914s, a few original sixes and conversions.....

Currently have a 2.0 in storage that gets worke on after the 356 is running and the Porsche garage is finished.....
PatW
Took a ride with my Dad in the early 80's in a 73 1.7 while I was still in my muscle car phase. I was amased how well it handled with the skinny little tires. Did the mu$cle car thing untill I got out of my system and in 97 bought a Lagoon Blue 75 2.0. Had it rear ended right in front of my condo complex back in 99. Now I drive a orange 70 1.7 I bought, fall of 1999.

I have to admit its a love hate thing with me. Its not fast enough for my blood but, if I don't drive it for a while I start to miss it. Its likley a good thing I have a 914 because it dosent attract the attention of the cops. (its a 1.7) Gets good gas milage, cheep to insure and dosent break parts like a more powerfull car would.

Waiting for the day the 1.7 will toss its cookies and I can relpace it with a 2.0. I recently did the Zone 7 Autocross School and I'm now wondering if there is a cure for the autocross bug. I seem to be infected.

Pat
VegasRacer
QUOTE(PatW @ May 31 2003, 08:41 PM)
I'm now wondering if there is a cure for the autocross bug. I seem to be infected.

Pat

Autocrossing is considered by many experts to be a 'gateway drug'. If you are not careful it can lead to drivers ed. events, time trials and in many cases it has progressed to full fledged racing fever.

Psst - Hey kid. Wanna buy some nomex?
914werke
Pure accident. It was the mid 80's, so mid 20's, and I was doing an odd job for a bud. Drove a truck load of furniture from Seattle to Laguna Beach. The plan was to hop a plane back but while wakin past a Jag dealership on the main drag spotted an odd dust covered car in the very back of the lot. The sales guy jumped out to greet and when I asked him about the car, he explained it was a trade-in and he would rather just have it off his lot..so $1600 later I put a battery in it
a got up early the next morning took the top off & drove back 18hrs straight! Got a hella sunburn wub.gif !!
Knew nothing about the car It just kinda peaked my intrest. Wasnt to keen on the color scheme at the time but it kinda grew on me ... you see it was this white with VW orange accents & wheels. Little did I know I had somthin special ..literally.
That car eventually sucumbed to the infamous fuel line failure (WOW does MAG BURN devil.gif )
Have had about 6 since then mostly beaters bought for this or that valued part.
Down to 2 My yeller 73 and the remnents of the LE.
Ill probably always own one, much like Im sure Ill always own a Motorcycle aktion035.gif
J P Stein
My dad started bringing home Road & Track in the .....ahem...early 50's. My uncle Dick had a 40 Ford, B gasser, with a 324 Olds (6 97's on a log manifold) in the ....late 50's. It's been down hill ever since.

On the way down, I tripped over 914s....*I* was in my 50's.....shit, what happened to the time?

I'll prolly have em' put headers on my coffin.
rhodyguy
while stationed in Karlsruhe in 72' i made friends with a german national that was a contract worker for the u.s. army. we were out for a spin on his lavarda and we stopped by his brothers house to look at a 4 cam 365 his brother owned. there was a tarped car and i asked what it was. he uncovered this boxy little car with big boxy fenders and huge tires. it had the 190hp s motor, but it was modified. he took me for a "spin", literally. then a blast down the autobahn. we traveled at a rate of speed that really scared me. he was one of those guys that believed the left lane was his domain. head lights blinking, profusely swearing in german. "shit head" in german is ellegant. 18 years later i bought a $800 "bargin". the rest is the beginning of a long sad tale.

kevin
ThinAir
1. How were you first introduced to 914s?
I learned to drive in a 62 Bug so I've had a soft spot for air cooled cars for a long time. In 1980 we're expecting our 3rd child and the Chevette isn't gonna cut it anymore so we buy the 69 VW Camper Bus from some folks across the street. I need to learn something about cars quick and a girl at work who owns a beat-up Karmann Ghia puts me onto the local community schools class on foreign auto repair. Turns out it's mostly VW types. One of the guys is a doctor with a turbo-charged 914-4. He gives me a ride through the streets of Hermosa Beach to the local VW place - good thing I had a seat belt on! I knew already back then that I wanted a Porsche, but figured a 911 was never gonna be in the picture ($$$$$). I figured the 914 was the "poor man's Porsche" because the "Porsche snobs" who didn't know anything about cars would discount its heritage and proclaim it to be NARP.

39. (11 years after that first ride)

3. How many 914s have you owned, including now?
1. 1972 White 1.7L FI that I found at a local used car place. I traded a truck that I should never have brought plus $300 for the 914. Both the dealer and I got a good deal considering the truck that I got rid of. Drove the 914 for 12 years with minimal investment before disassembling it last year to finally restore it. After I get it all taken apart the body guy looks at it and says we're looking at $6,000 to start instead of $2,500 as quoted so I hauled it home. It's now sitting on my back patio and will be a project car so that I can learn to weld and do body work in preparation for my dream "retirement" job of having a 1-man business restoring air cooled Porsches & Volkswagens. (I've got about 10 years to work on it.)
2. 1971 Red, No engine or tranny. A parts car that I picked up for $200 because I needed an early window regulator in a hurry. It's sitting in my back yard in hopes that I'll get around to cutting it up soon.
3. 1973 Yellow 2.0L FI. Purchased this about a month ago from Tim in Seattle after seeing it in a 914Club classified. This is the car of my dreams. It came with carbs, but I just finished putting in the 2.0L FI engine that I had originally purchased to go into the 72. It was sort of a gift to my self after becoming re-employed. My son & I flew to Seattle and drove it back to Arizona over a weekend. What a great drive - even I5 is fun in a 914!

e. I don't suffer from insanity - I'm enjoying every moment of it! I am definitely a lost cause & I've passed it on to my son as well biggrin.gif The disease gets even worse once you get to drive one that is in good condition. Of course, no one is looking for a cure!
jwade
I first saw 914's when they first came out and was noy too impressed by their looks.
A Porsche was a 911!

I drove my first 914 in 1974 at the age of 19 and fell in love with it. I went out and sold my Triumph GT6+ and bought it. A cherry '70 1.7L. I sold it when I just HAD to have a 911. I've been sorry ever since. (Only because the 911 was not in the best shape)

I've owned 3 914's.
'70 yellow 1.7 in '74
'72 green 1.8 in "76
'76 white 2.0 in 2002

I love my car (although my girlfriend doesn't wink.gif ) just like Charlton Heston loves his guns! ar15.gif
SirAndy
1.  How were you first introduced to 914s?  (Relative, first car, always wondered what it was, AX event, etc.)

saw some growing up in germany, but they never really interested me back then. the 911 was the hot ticket. got into VW's instead. Karman Ghia's and "hot rodded" Bug's ...

2.  How old were you when you first drove a 914?

umh, 35 ...

3.  How many 914s have you owned, including now?  (Year, displacement, color)

1. 1970 1.8 D-Jet, Guards-Red

4.  How would you describe your 914 bug?

"Lost Cause - I will probably give up the ghost while driving in my beloved teener!" ...

what really attracted me to my car when i first saw it was the fact that it didn't look like a "normal" 914 smile.gif
GT-Flares, 916 spoilers, all molded into one piece, wide rims and tires.
i really dig that look. saw the car sitting in a dealership lot, stopped for a testdrive and bought it right there. didn't know shit about 914s.

happy11.gif driving.gif wub.gif
Andy
kafermeister

My dad was a foreign car mechanic from the 70's and into the 90's. I first saw a 914 in the shop where my dad worked arround 1980. It was owned by a local radio personality. I was arround 11 at the time. Later (when I was about 18) dad bought a somewhat clean and straight silever '75 1.8 arround 1988 or 1989. I got into Aircooled VW's and am still neck-deep in ACVW's. Dad still has his 914. It sits most of the time but runs quite well.

'bout 18

first - 1971 1.7 parts car, $50. Cut it up last summer. Never drove it out of the yard. had SEVERE rust issues. And remember, I live in the rust belt.

second - 1975 1.8 fixer-upper, $125. It rotted badly before I could afford to do anything with it. I sold it to someone more ambitious than myself a few years ago. I never drove this car either.

third - 1976 roller, $400. I'm in the process of getting a price quote to fix the longitudinal rust before the car starts bending in the middle. I expect to get the ball rolling in the next few weeks. And of course, I haven't driven this one either.

I'd rate myself as a D. 914's are not my only interest (although I'm considering selling 2-3 projects to buy a nice teener). I'm still doing the ACVW thing and I can't get the desire for a 911 out of my system... yet. wacko.gif
mskala
1. My friend had a '75 911, and I was just then needing a car
to be able to get to co-op jobs every other semester. Through
reading the Porsche Buyer's Guide, convinced myself that the
914 was the perfect porsche and somewhat cheap.

2. 20.

3. '73 2.0 marathon blue metallic, drove through winters and
eventually parted, even though from what I know now it
would have been restorable. Burned through a quart of oil
every 100 miles at 180,000 plus when dismantled.
'73 parts car in the same deal. Broke in half on the lot when
one of us sat in it.
'73 1.7 some sort of yellow repaint over light ivory. Good car
for about 7 years, just never really fully repaired rustwise.
'70 914-6 Adriatic Blue with stock rebuilt 2.0. Bought in '99,
got records back to '74. Pretty original, but major paint chips.
Put in springs and sway bar and tires and went autocrossing.
This one is a keeper (by east coast standards).

4. d. I still have other activities in life, but only 914's in the
automotive area.
72Signal914
1. Summer 1999, My uncle came to Orlando for my Grandmothers 75th B-day. We were all talking in the kitchen (can remember it like yesterday). My Uncle had a Porsche book in his hand and he just popped the question, "I've been talking to your mother and father about this, they said it was okay, but would you like a Porsche" Me being 15 at the time was like ohmy.gif.... boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif. I couldn'y believe what I was hearing. Then he showed me a picture of it. Looked at it confused24.gif but I said I don't care, it's a Porsche. All my friends were jealous

2. Got the car in December of 1999 right after X-mas, my dad took me to learn how to drive stick in a developing neightborhood. Learned stick in that car (always will drive stick as long as its an option). Fell in love with it. First real drive by myself, top off going to a friends b-day party, had my license for 2 days, Spring Break, RAN OUT OF GAS. Yup that was quite fun especially when no one wanted to take me to get gas as my car sat on the side of the road.

3. This is of course my first at 15, i'm 19 now 1972 FI 2.0L T-4 Signal Orange (the best color) 13.5K on rebuilt engine
Chasis- ?????

4. My bug is as big as that guy w/ elephantitis. I still have withdawals by looking at it and sitting in the drivers seat (and they will continue b/c of grades). I got hooked on Porsches at 15 and will always want to have one in the garage. I know my next car that I actually own will be another Porsche, which will make 2 for my garage.
Jenny
1. My brother got a 914 in 1999. But I actually knew someone with one in college in '97, but I scoffed at him and said "NARP!! NARP!!" Little did I know... Didn't fully appreciate them until '99.

2. Got my car (drove it away for keeps for the first time) on July 3, 2002. Br@dhole found the car and brought it back to life for my driving enjoyment.

3. two. Signal orange- '73 2.0, Silver '73 0.0...Neither of which run right now. sad.gif Orange car had a run-in with a guard rail Jan. 25, 2003. Working on moving salvagable parts to silver/rust tub.

4. my 914 bug is pretty severe. I'm contstantly online checking the BBS, and I love those little cars. I got a bit teary-eyed sitting in my non-running 'teener the other day. Man, I really miss driving it. Seeing one on the road is always like seeing a long lost friend. I go nuts! mueba.gif

Jen
Lawrence

I'm sure I had seen them in passing, but the first up-close look I got was from my son's Godfather. I bought his!

26 y/o

73 Olympic Blue 1.7 "Cinderella"
76 Summer Yellow 2.0 "Sunshine"
74 Bumblebee 2.0 "Storm"
74 Olympic Blue 1.8 "Sky"
70 Metallic Blue 2.0/6 "Elwood"
72 some blue color under 58 coats of paint parts car 1.7 "Sanford"

f. I'm busy spending my retirement on the 914/6.
Jenny
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jun 2 2003, 03:20 PM)

73 Olympic Blue 1.7 "Cinderella"
76 Summer Yellow 2.0 "Sunshine"
74 Bumblebee 2.0 "Storm"
74 Olympic Blue 1.8 "Sky"
70 Metallic Blue 2.0/6 "Elwood"
72 some blue color under 58 coats of paint parts car 1.7 "Sanford"

you like the blue, eh?? Which blue did I see at MUSR '01? She's a beaut!

Jen
Lawrence
That was Elwood... who, like Kim (see other thread), is apparently gender-appearance challenged.

Elwood is a HIM. aktion035.gif

Thanks, Jen. smile.gif
Brad Roberts

A guy in my neighborhood had one while he was in High School (I was in Junior High)

15 y/o

70 Yellow 1.7
71 Orange 1.7
71 Blue 9146
72 White/Blue race car (2.0)
72 Red 2.0 six conversion
72 Silver 2.0 six conversion
73 Black 1.7 (1911.. then V8)
73 Yellow 2.0
73 Blue 2.0
73 Orange 2.0
73 Revenna 2.0
73 Silver 2.0
74 White 2.0 (LE)
74 Red 2.0
74 Red 2.0 (different car)
75 Black 1.8
75 Silver 1.8

4. How would you describe your 914 bug

f. I'm busy spending my retirement on the 914/6.

Took me awhile to recall all the cars.. and I know I have forgotten a few.

B
Brad Roberts
I just copied and pasted LB's comments for A-F.

My sickness makes me puke on the keyboard when I remind myself llike this.

B barf.gif
Lawrence
You've never owned a 76? How peculiar.
Brad Roberts
Not that I'm aware of. No 76's in the stable.

B
Brad Roberts
Forgot .. Black 75 2.0

B
Dad Roberts
Brad......you forgot to mention that I TRIED... to talk you out of buyin that first yellow teener. Told ya that the motors were prone to problems.........Course you didn't listen.....bought it anyway. As I recall, there was a mysterious noise inside the motor.. rolleyes.gif ......Anywho, all these folks would really be pissed at me if you HAD listened......Just wanted to JOG your memory...... Dad driving.gif
Qarl
Awwww... that's such a cute picture of Brad on the left!
Joe Bob
Hey Dad.....

If you had agreed with him, then he would not have bought it....stubborn is as stubborn does....
Brad Roberts
It was either that or drive that Baja bug you gave me... NO Thanks..LOL

I'm glad we picked that first car up. Life would have turned out COMPLETELY different. I would have never met Mike Jennings and would not be in Ca. now working on a Porsche aftermarket exhaust company purchase (or helping to run a popular 914 BBS)

B
Dad Roberts
Z...knows ya pretty well biggrin.gif . HEY...a freebie baha was bettern a kick in the pants.......oh yea, you got that too.. rolleyes.gif Because of all that has happened from that first teener, it really is hard to imagine where you would be now........Thanks for the comment Kellzey............Brad WAS such a cute child.....wonder what happened tongue.gif ??......Guess i better be nice......he IS visitin this weekend driving.gif ....Dad
markb

1999, my Dad passed away & left me his yellow 70 1.7, which had sat by the shed for 10 years. Had I known anything about 914's it would still be there. Had it shipped to CA, spent 6 months repairing rusted out wiring. Got it running, registered, and was driving it to the shop when it holed a piston. It had run just long enough to infect me. I've been collecting parts while waiting to weld in new floor pans. Just bought most of what I need for a 5 bolt conversion last week!

Bought the Blue car, 72 1.7 in Corona, CA. Drove it home in LA traffic (first time really driving one, scared me silly driving next to the soccer moms in their SUV's). I still have it, done lots of upgrades and the normal "let's keep it running ''til Dad's Car is finished" stuff. It might be sold when I finish restoring Dad's Car.

I'm in the process of buying a 73 2.0 for the motor and 2 sideshifter trannys that come with it. It's a parts car that I'll get what I want from it and then sell it to somebody who likes the wide-a$$ flares that are on it. It's in Fremont, CA. Anybody interested?

So far 3, yellow 70 1.7, blue 72 1.7, yellow 73 2.0. (plus assorted parts cars of no single color) I still have them all.

If you want more info & pics, see my website.
Jeroen
Come to think of it... the 914 sorta haunted me
The earliest recollection I have is from literally "windowshopping" at the local VW/Audi/Porsche dealer, which was close to my grandmothers house.
We used to visit my grandmother about every saturday and on our way back home, my dad would usually drive by the P-dealer and we'd all stick our noses against the window of the showroom.
That's where I first saw the 914 and I remember I liked it because it looked so much smaller than the period 911s.
That musta been when I was 4 or 5 years old ('74/'75).

My dad always had "weird" cars. He owned several Triumph Spitfires (I sat in the back of those untill I was 10 years old) and we also had a "Sandman buggy" (which were then sold by the VW dealers)

When I was about 11 years old, my dad bought his first Porsche, a 924. He's never driven anything but Porsches since then.

The very first car I looked at buying when I got my drivers license was a 914 that was for sale locally.
I didn't buy it, cause it had a bus-engine in it...

A couple of years later, I decided I needed to get a Porsche myself.
And again, the first one I looked at was a 914. A bright viper green one with flared fenders.
And again, I didn't buy it...

I looked at a couple of 944s but ended up with a very good deal on a '87 911 carrera coupe (which I still have)

Then ofcourse I got bitten by the track-bug... The 911 was way too nice a car to go racing with, so I needed something else.

Again, I looked at some 944s, but I just don't like the way they feel. They're to "big"
Also I wanted something I could work on myself (I have about zero mechanical skills - I'm a friggin' accountant!). So... there's the 914 again.
I figured I'd get me a /4 and build it into a 2.4

That's where I got in trouble. I literally stumbled upon a /6 conversion car. A bad one, but hey, it was a six and it was cheap... little did I know rolleyes.gif

Now, I'm a lost case... damn those 914s!

cheers,

Jeroen
EdwardBlume

My Dad bought my 74 914 2.0 Olympic Blue in 1976 from a secondhand lot near Vandenberg AFB. He was in WWII, had a brief thing with my Mom, and at 53 had his first son. He would pick me up on Saturdays for visitation. I was 6 years old. I spent the next 10 years dreaming about driving it. I was car crazy, but the 914 has always been number 1. I had a rough time as a kid, but my Dad and the 914 made me feel special. The car has something very special about it.

It broke in 1984 and my Dad gave it to me in 1986 to "fix it up". I tried to drive it for about 6 months and couldn't afford to get it fixed. Good thing too. It sat unmolested for another 10 years.

It was outdoors for most of its life on our ranch from 1976 until 1997. In 1997 my Dad passed away and I brought it to the Bay Area. I was really rescuing my Dad's spirit and the one of the best icons of my youth.

74 2.0 Olympic Blue (Dad's car) - 1976
74 1.8 Yellow (parts) - 1999
75 2.0 Blue (parts) - 2001
73 2.0 Silver (parts) - 2003
73 2.0 Gray (AX car) - 2001

Passionate. Spiritual. Growing. Endless. I wake up in the morning thinking about what to do with the car. I've plotted, planned, and imagined dozens of cars built in my mind. I don't have the means or know how to do it for real. Most of the parts cars have been learning experiences.

914s are the greatest cars on earth. Period.
ThinAir
QUOTE(Dad Roberts @ Jun 2 2003, 04:22 PM)
Brad......you forgot to mention that I TRIED... to talk you out of buyin that first yellow teener. Told ya that the motors were prone to problems.........Course you didn't listen.....bought it anyway. As I recall, there was a mysterious noise inside the motor.. rolleyes.gif ......Anywho, all these folks would really be pissed at me if you HAD listened......Just wanted to JOG your memory...... Dad driving.gif

And here I thought Mike & I were the only Father / Son combo in the club! Goes to show that insanity really does run in the family. tongue.gif
anthony

My uncle had two. He first bought a black 72 1.7 and then he upgraded to a black '74 2.0 with all the options. I think I was hooked the first time he took a clover-leaf at 50+ mph while I was a passenger.

I think I first got to drive that same car when I was 25 or so.

His black '74 2.0L was exceptional. When I first drove it, it was 20 years old and only had 70K original miles and it was probably the cleanest, mint condition, unrestored, all original car any of you have seen. It was a true one owner, always garaged, never driven in the rain 914.

For me, it will always be the car that got away. About 10 years ago before he sold it, he offered it to me for $8K. I was just out of college, didn't have a garage or a real job at the time and just couldn't care for such an incredibly preserved classic automobile. He later sold it for $10K.

1974 2.0L, silver
1974 2.0L, white

I've been doing a lot of soul searching about my 914. Eventually, I'll want more power and I've been thinking of buying a six conversion or real six. Of course the right car will probably take an eternity to come up for sale so I might have the silver car for a while.

On the other hand a nice 911 in many ways seems totally like the way to go over a conversion or an original six with a 3/3.2 conversion. When clean low mileage SCs go for $12K or even a 280hp mid-90s 993 goes for $30-35K, it makes the prospect of building a $25-30K 914 a difficult decision.

Maybe I should be a two P-car kind of guy?
kafermeister
QUOTE(ErnieDV)

And here I thought Mike & I were the only Father / Son combo in the club!  Goes to show that insanity really does run in the family. tongue.gif

Yes it does run in the family. I've been trying to get my dad on the list for a while now.

Rick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.