Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your Personal 914 History, When did you get the bug and how bad?
914werke
post Jun 1 2003, 02:46 AM
Post #21

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Group: Members
Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Pure accident. It was the mid 80's, so mid 20's, and I was doing an odd job for a bud. Drove a truck load of furniture from Seattle to Laguna Beach. The plan was to hop a plane back but while wakin past a Jag dealership on the main drag spotted an odd dust covered car in the very back of the lot. The sales guy jumped out to greet and when I asked him about the car, he explained it was a trade-in and he would rather just have it off his lot..so $1600 later I put a battery in it
a got up early the next morning took the top off & drove back 18hrs straight! Got a hella sunburn (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) !!
Knew nothing about the car It just kinda peaked my intrest. Wasnt to keen on the color scheme at the time but it kinda grew on me ... you see it was this white with VW orange accents & wheels. Little did I know I had somthin special ..literally.
That car eventually sucumbed to the infamous fuel line failure (WOW does MAG BURN (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif) )
Have had about 6 since then mostly beaters bought for this or that valued part.
Down to 2 My yeller 73 and the remnents of the LE.
Ill probably always own one, much like Im sure Ill always own a Motorcycle (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jun 1 2003, 03:36 AM
Post #22

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

My dad started bringing home Road & Track in the .....ahem...early 50's. My uncle Dick had a 40 Ford, B gasser, with a 324 Olds (6 97's on a log manifold) in the ....late 50's. It's been down hill ever since.

On the way down, I tripped over 914s....*I* was in my 50's.....shit, what happened to the time?

I'll prolly have em' put headers on my coffin.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 1 2003, 09:45 AM
Post #23

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

while stationed in Karlsruhe in 72' i made friends with a german national that was a contract worker for the u.s. army. we were out for a spin on his lavarda and we stopped by his brothers house to look at a 4 cam 365 his brother owned. there was a tarped car and i asked what it was. he uncovered this boxy little car with big boxy fenders and huge tires. it had the 190hp s motor, but it was modified. he took me for a "spin", literally. then a blast down the autobahn. we traveled at a rate of speed that really scared me. he was one of those guys that believed the left lane was his domain. head lights blinking, profusely swearing in german. "shit head" in german is ellegant. 18 years later i bought a $800 "bargin". the rest is the beginning of a long sad tale.

kevin
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Jun 1 2003, 04:55 PM
Post #24

Best friends

Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

1. How were you first introduced to 914s?
I learned to drive in a 62 Bug so I've had a soft spot for air cooled cars for a long time. In 1980 we're expecting our 3rd child and the Chevette isn't gonna cut it anymore so we buy the 69 VW Camper Bus from some folks across the street. I need to learn something about cars quick and a girl at work who owns a beat-up Karmann Ghia puts me onto the local community schools class on foreign auto repair. Turns out it's mostly VW types. One of the guys is a doctor with a turbo-charged 914-4. He gives me a ride through the streets of Hermosa Beach to the local VW place - good thing I had a seat belt on! I knew already back then that I wanted a Porsche, but figured a 911 was never gonna be in the picture ($$$$$). I figured the 914 was the "poor man's Porsche" because the "Porsche snobs" who didn't know anything about cars would discount its heritage and proclaim it to be NARP.

2. How old were you when you first drove a 914?
39. (11 years after that first ride)

3. How many 914s have you owned, including now?
1. 1972 White 1.7L FI that I found at a local used car place. I traded a truck that I should never have brought plus $300 for the 914. Both the dealer and I got a good deal considering the truck that I got rid of. Drove the 914 for 12 years with minimal investment before disassembling it last year to finally restore it. After I get it all taken apart the body guy looks at it and says we're looking at $6,000 to start instead of $2,500 as quoted so I hauled it home. It's now sitting on my back patio and will be a project car so that I can learn to weld and do body work in preparation for my dream "retirement" job of having a 1-man business restoring air cooled Porsches & Volkswagens. (I've got about 10 years to work on it.)
2. 1971 Red, No engine or tranny. A parts car that I picked up for $200 because I needed an early window regulator in a hurry. It's sitting in my back yard in hopes that I'll get around to cutting it up soon.
3. 1973 Yellow 2.0L FI. Purchased this about a month ago from Tim in Seattle after seeing it in a 914Club classified. This is the car of my dreams. It came with carbs, but I just finished putting in the 2.0L FI engine that I had originally purchased to go into the 72. It was sort of a gift to my self after becoming re-employed. My son & I flew to Seattle and drove it back to Arizona over a weekend. What a great drive - even I5 is fun in a 914!

4. How would you describe your 914 bug?
e. I don't suffer from insanity - I'm enjoying every moment of it! I am definitely a lost cause & I've passed it on to my son as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) The disease gets even worse once you get to drive one that is in good condition. Of course, no one is looking for a cure!
+Quote Post
jwade
post Jun 1 2003, 05:03 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 340

I first saw 914's when they first came out and was noy too impressed by their looks.
A Porsche was a 911!

I drove my first 914 in 1974 at the age of 19 and fell in love with it. I went out and sold my Triumph GT6+ and bought it. A cherry '70 1.7L. I sold it when I just HAD to have a 911. I've been sorry ever since. (Only because the 911 was not in the best shape)

I've owned 3 914's.
'70 yellow 1.7 in '74
'72 green 1.8 in "76
'76 white 2.0 in 2002

I love my car (although my girlfriend doesn't (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) just like Charlton Heston loves his guns! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 1 2003, 08:19 PM
Post #26

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

1.  How were you first introduced to 914s?  (Relative, first car, always wondered what it was, AX event, etc.)

saw some growing up in germany, but they never really interested me back then. the 911 was the hot ticket. got into VW's instead. Karman Ghia's and "hot rodded" Bug's ...

2.  How old were you when you first drove a 914?

umh, 35 ...

3.  How many 914s have you owned, including now?  (Year, displacement, color)

1. 1970 1.8 D-Jet, Guards-Red

4.  How would you describe your 914 bug?

"Lost Cause - I will probably give up the ghost while driving in my beloved teener!" ...

what really attracted me to my car when i first saw it was the fact that it didn't look like a "normal" 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
GT-Flares, 916 spoilers, all molded into one piece, wide rims and tires.
i really dig that look. saw the car sitting in a dealership lot, stopped for a testdrive and bought it right there. didn't know shit about 914s.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
kafermeister
post Jun 2 2003, 06:32 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 174

1. How were you first introduced to 914s? (Relative, first car, always wondered what it was, AX event, etc.)

My dad was a foreign car mechanic from the 70's and into the 90's. I first saw a 914 in the shop where my dad worked arround 1980. It was owned by a local radio personality. I was arround 11 at the time. Later (when I was about 18) dad bought a somewhat clean and straight silever '75 1.8 arround 1988 or 1989. I got into Aircooled VW's and am still neck-deep in ACVW's. Dad still has his 914. It sits most of the time but runs quite well.

'bout 18

3. How many 914s have you owned, including now? (Year, displacement, color)

first - 1971 1.7 parts car, $50. Cut it up last summer. Never drove it out of the yard. had SEVERE rust issues. And remember, I live in the rust belt.

second - 1975 1.8 fixer-upper, $125. It rotted badly before I could afford to do anything with it. I sold it to someone more ambitious than myself a few years ago. I never drove this car either.

third - 1976 roller, $400. I'm in the process of getting a price quote to fix the longitudinal rust before the car starts bending in the middle. I expect to get the ball rolling in the next few weeks. And of course, I haven't driven this one either.

a. Ehhh... Anyone want to buy my 914?
b. Casual interest - I'm still learning
c. Interested/Enthused - these cars are the best
d. Severely infected - I'm contagious. Admit me to the E/R now
e. Lost Cause - I will probably give up the ghost while driving in my beloved teener!

I'd rate myself as a D. 914's are not my only interest (although I'm considering selling 2-3 projects to buy a nice teener). I'm still doing the ACVW thing and I can't get the desire for a 911 out of my system... yet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
mskala
post Jun 2 2003, 02:52 PM
Post #28

R

Member No.: 79

1. My friend had a '75 911, and I was just then needing a car
to be able to get to co-op jobs every other semester. Through
reading the Porsche Buyer's Guide, convinced myself that the
914 was the perfect porsche and somewhat cheap.

2. 20.

3. '73 2.0 marathon blue metallic, drove through winters and
eventually parted, even though from what I know now it
would have been restorable. Burned through a quart of oil
every 100 miles at 180,000 plus when dismantled.
'73 parts car in the same deal. Broke in half on the lot when
one of us sat in it.
'73 1.7 some sort of yellow repaint over light ivory. Good car
for about 7 years, just never really fully repaired rustwise.
'70 914-6 Adriatic Blue with stock rebuilt 2.0. Bought in '99,
got records back to '74. Pretty original, but major paint chips.
Put in springs and sway bar and tires and went autocrossing.
This one is a keeper (by east coast standards).

4. d. I still have other activities in life, but only 914's in the
automotive area.
+Quote Post
72Signal914
post Jun 2 2003, 03:23 PM
Post #29

Think I need a new keyboard

Member No.: 702

1. Summer 1999, My uncle came to Orlando for my Grandmothers 75th B-day. We were all talking in the kitchen (can remember it like yesterday). My Uncle had a Porsche book in his hand and he just popped the question, "I've been talking to your mother and father about this, they said it was okay, but would you like a Porsche" Me being 15 at the time was like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif).... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif). I couldn'y believe what I was hearing. Then he showed me a picture of it. Looked at it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) but I said I don't care, it's a Porsche. All my friends were jealous

2. Got the car in December of 1999 right after X-mas, my dad took me to learn how to drive stick in a developing neightborhood. Learned stick in that car (always will drive stick as long as its an option). Fell in love with it. First real drive by myself, top off going to a friends b-day party, had my license for 2 days, Spring Break, RAN OUT OF GAS. Yup that was quite fun especially when no one wanted to take me to get gas as my car sat on the side of the road.

3. This is of course my first at 15, i'm 19 now 1972 FI 2.0L T-4 Signal Orange (the best color) 13.5K on rebuilt engine
Chasis- ?????

4. My bug is as big as that guy w/ elephantitis. I still have withdawals by looking at it and sitting in the drivers seat (and they will continue b/c of grades). I got hooked on Porsches at 15 and will always want to have one in the garage. I know my next car that I actually own will be another Porsche, which will make 2 for my garage.
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Jun 2 2003, 03:39 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

1. My brother got a 914 in 1999. But I actually knew someone with one in college in '97, but I scoffed at him and said "NARP!! NARP!!" Little did I know... Didn't fully appreciate them until '99.

2. Got my car (drove it away for keeps for the first time) on July 3, 2002. Br@dhole found the car and brought it back to life for my driving enjoyment.

3. two. Signal orange- '73 2.0, Silver '73 0.0...Neither of which run right now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Orange car had a run-in with a guard rail Jan. 25, 2003. Working on moving salvagable parts to silver/rust tub.

4. my 914 bug is pretty severe. I'm contstantly online checking the BBS, and I love those little cars. I got a bit teary-eyed sitting in my non-running 'teener the other day. Man, I really miss driving it. Seeing one on the road is always like seeing a long lost friend. I go nuts! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

Jen
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Jun 2 2003, 04:20 PM
Post #31

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244

I'm sure I had seen them in passing, but the first up-close look I got was from my son's Godfather. I bought his!

26 y/o

73 Olympic Blue 1.7 "Cinderella"
76 Summer Yellow 2.0 "Sunshine"
74 Bumblebee 2.0 "Storm"
74 Olympic Blue 1.8 "Sky"
70 Metallic Blue 2.0/6 "Elwood"
72 some blue color under 58 coats of paint parts car 1.7 "Sanford"

e. Lost Cause - I will probably give up the ghost while driving in my beloved teener!

f. I'm busy spending my retirement on the 914/6.
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Jun 2 2003, 04:26 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jun 2 2003, 03:20 PM)

73 Olympic Blue 1.7 "Cinderella"
76 Summer Yellow 2.0 "Sunshine"
74 Bumblebee 2.0 "Storm"
74 Olympic Blue 1.8 "Sky"
70 Metallic Blue 2.0/6 "Elwood"
72 some blue color under 58 coats of paint parts car 1.7 "Sanford"

you like the blue, eh?? Which blue did I see at MUSR '01? She's a beaut!

Jen
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Jun 2 2003, 04:29 PM
Post #33

That was Elwood... who, like Kim (see other thread), is apparently gender-appearance challenged.

Elwood is a HIM. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Thanks, Jen. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 2 2003, 04:52 PM
Post #34

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

A guy in my neighborhood had one while he was in High School (I was in Junior High)

15 y/o

70 Yellow 1.7
71 Orange 1.7
71 Blue 9146
72 White/Blue race car (2.0)
72 Red 2.0 six conversion
72 Silver 2.0 six conversion
73 Black 1.7 (1911.. then V8)
73 Yellow 2.0
73 Blue 2.0
73 Orange 2.0
73 Revenna 2.0
73 Silver 2.0
74 White 2.0 (LE)
74 Red 2.0
74 Red 2.0 (different car)
75 Black 1.8
75 Silver 1.8

4. How would you describe your 914 bug

f. I'm busy spending my retirement on the 914/6.

Took me awhile to recall all the cars.. and I know I have forgotten a few.

B
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 2 2003, 04:54 PM
Post #35

914 Freak!

I just copied and pasted LB's comments for A-F.

My sickness makes me puke on the keyboard when I remind myself llike this.

B (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Jun 2 2003, 04:56 PM
Post #36

You've never owned a 76? How peculiar.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 2 2003, 04:57 PM
Post #37

914 Freak!

Not that I'm aware of. No 76's in the stable.

B
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 2 2003, 04:58 PM
Post #38

914 Freak!

Forgot .. Black 75 2.0

B
+Quote Post
Dad Roberts
post Jun 2 2003, 05:22 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 70

Brad......you forgot to mention that I TRIED... to talk you out of buyin that first yellow teener. Told ya that the motors were prone to problems.........Course you didn't listen.....bought it anyway. As I recall, there was a mysterious noise inside the motor.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) ......Anywho, all these folks would really be pissed at me if you HAD listened......Just wanted to JOG your memory...... Dad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Jun 2 2003, 05:48 PM
Post #40

Shriveled member

Member No.: 271

Awwww... that's such a cute picture of Brad on the left!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th June 2024 - 12:23 AM