Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Group Buy: Tie Rod Wrench, Closes 7/31
Elliot Cannon
post Sep 29 2016, 10:27 PM
Post #181

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

I have one of those in my toolbox. Now, thanks to this thread, I remember what the hell it's for. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 30 2016, 12:52 AM
Post #182

The rubber man

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,348

Love the Krusty response on 50 - Priceless

I do have a few of these in stock I bough on the run, and sent out for plating if anyone still needs one.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Sep 30 2016, 06:59 AM
Post #183

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 29 2016, 12:50 PM) *

Has anyone used this?

We just tried it out on a customer car in the shop... too big for turbo tie rod ends. Doesn't work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

(not sure if the TT's on this car are Lemforder or not but, they measure 32mm and the wrench is 34mm)

found this about lemfoerder wrench (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Tie Rod Wrench
When removing the tie rod assembly (from the rack itself) on a 911 and replacing it with the turbo kit, you need two different kinds of wrenches: For the stock 911 tie rods you need a thin 46mm spanner and for the new 930-turbo tie rods you need a thin 32mm open end. With this new combination wrench both needs are met.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Sep 30 2016, 07:39 AM
Post #184

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110

QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 29 2016, 03:21 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

All I can say is this was discussed starting with post 46 through post 52 ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2063806

Not seeing it discussed that this wrench is cut to the wrong size. Jeff seems to have cleared that up. Our Turbo ends measured 32mm. This wrench is 34mm.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 30 2016, 02:11 PM
Post #185

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Looking back even further, at Doug's original post, it says ... "I made a special wrench that makes changing out tie rods a breeze. One end fits a stock inner tie rod retaining nut and the other fits the end of a turbo tie rod."

I assumed that this wrench was all we needed to complete the task (out with the old and in with the new).

I noticed that Doug's original post has been edited 3x (updates regarding shipping), but I know if the description was changed due to what John said (in post# 50) in response to Doug's question (in post# 46) ... "You also brought up my next question... If 911s in fact use the same inner tie rod retaining nut."

John's Response was ... "Well, in the original post he says that's what the tool is for. What, you think he's just makin' it up? And, FWIW, of course 914 tie rods and 911 tie rods use the same fasteners, they're the SAME part ..................... Whaddya think the "turbo tie rods" originally fit? 914 Turbos"?

I still don't see that John left us with a definitive (yes or no) answer to the question ... OK, I understand that stock 911 and stock 914 tie rods 'use the same fasteners', but his question at the end about what the turbo tie rods originally fitting sort of hints that they might be different (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I remember ordering two different wrenches from Doug, but the real pisser is that I can't find either one in my tool box. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) ... I think the second wrench was a strut wrench though.

In any event, Jeff's and your post appear to confirm that they are indeed different and that we need to source a thin 32mm wrench to complete the conversion.

Thanks ...
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Sep 30 2016, 02:37 PM
Post #186

PMB Performance

I think you might be missing my point Mark.

I'm not concerned with stock tie rod size on one end vs. TT on the other... The problem is with the TT end of this wrench. My wrench from Doug measures 34mm on the TT end (as I would suspect all of these wrenches do) and the actual TT measures 32mm. If this is correct, all of these wrenches are wrong. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

It's possible mine was cut wrong... can those of you who can find their wrenches measure them and weigh in?
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Sep 30 2016, 03:59 PM
Post #187

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 30 2016, 01:37 PM) *

I'm not concerned with stock tie rod size on one end vs. TT on the other... The problem is with the TT end of this wrench. My wrench from Doug measures 34mm on the TT end (as I would suspect all of these wrenches do) and the actual TT measures 32mm. If this is correct, all of these wrenches are wrong. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

It's possible mine was cut wrong... can those of you who can find their wrenches measure them and weigh in?

Eric is correct on the 32 mm . I have 2 sets of Lemforder turbo tie rods and both sets measure 32 mm. Mark has a wrench that he measured for me before I purchased it. His was 36 mm so obviously it will not work for my use.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 30 2016, 04:59 PM
Post #188

I think I got your point, Eric.

Apparently the TTRs have a smaller inboard nut than the stock TRs as you pointed out, so I'll take it that the wrenches we purchased are only for busting lose the stock TRs.

I haven't had the opportunity to physically tackle the project so I can't speak from real-world experience, nor have I measured the wrench size (heck, can't even find the darn thing) and my TTRs are currently in AZ.

I read what Doug posted, purchased one and thought I was good to go ... now I guess not, and will need to source a thin 32mm wrench, right?

+Quote Post
dangrouche
post Sep 30 2016, 07:55 PM
Post #189

dangrouche

Member No.: 2,012

If you are a cyclist like a lot of us here; I used my spanner. I actually distorted dlee's version and had this type in my bike tool collection to put on the turbo tie rods.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Park-Tool-HCW-15-H...b8AAOSwv2JXwLN0
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 30 2016, 08:34 PM
Post #190

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

So,
Do we need a wrench with 2 different heads, maybe heat treat it?
+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post Sep 30 2016, 08:54 PM
Post #191

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(dangrouche @ Sep 30 2016, 08:55 PM) *

If you are a cyclist like a lot of us here; I used my spanner. I actually distorted dlee's version and had this type in my bike tool collection to put on the turbo tie rods.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Park-Tool-HCW-15-H...b8AAOSwv2JXwLN0

I used one side of the wrench to loosen the original tie rods and a BMW fan clutch wrench (32mm) to put the new turbo ones on. The BMW wrench is just a glorified bike wrench and was around $12 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Sep 30 2016, 09:43 PM
Post #192

PMB Performance

QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 30 2016, 04:59 PM) *

I think I got your point, Eric.

Apparently the TTRs have a smaller inboard nut than the stock TRs as you pointed out, so I'll take it that the wrenches we purchased are only for busting lose the stock TRs.

I haven't had the opportunity to physically tackle the project so I can't speak from real-world experience, nor have I measured the wrench size (heck, can't even find the darn thing) and my TTRs are currently in AZ.

I read what Doug posted, purchased one and thought I was good to go ... now I guess not, and will need to source a thin 32mm wrench, right?

Check Jeff's post. Stock is 46mm, TT is 32mm. This wrench appears to be neither.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Sep 30 2016, 09:51 PM
Post #193

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 30 2016, 01:37 PM) *

I went through this last year.

I borrowed one from Jim Hoyland.

I didn't use it.

The inboard stock nut against the rack was difficult to use inside the fender well and I used a pipe wrench to crack the thread retaining washer that has the recess for the stock boot.

The other end didn't fit- wrong size for the Lemforder TT.

I figured I could use the pipe wrench on the stock retainers because I wasn't going to use them anyway once the TT rods went on.

Think if the other end were bent at an angle and the rectangular end fit the Lemforders it would be ok.

My .02

Hands down the best suspension mod you can do for a stock 914 front end.

+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 30 2016, 10:58 PM
Post #194

So what we all did was spend $26. on useless 'wall of shame' artwork? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
colingreene
post Sep 30 2016, 11:51 PM
Post #195

Member No.: 16,526

yeah, mine bent on the first use. I was not pleased.
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Oct 1 2016, 09:41 AM
Post #196

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373

I tested mine up against a Turbo Tie Rod end - these are pretty old (though never installed) and in a clear bag - maybe URO.

Seemed to fit fine.

While we are on it - what are the other wrenches I have so I can write what they are in Sharpie?

I think one fits the washer in the front trunk for the strut. Maybe same for the nut on the strut tube.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Oct 1 2016, 11:01 AM
Post #197

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

Mike is it 32 or 34mm

1.259 or 1.338 inches
+Quote Post
db9146
post Oct 1 2016, 11:15 AM
Post #198

Member No.: 3,315

I found a problem with the "E"-shaped end of the wrench in that it didn't fit when I was installing my TT ends. It was too shallow to reach around to the 12 and 6 positions with the tang at 3 0'clock engaged.

+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Oct 1 2016, 02:22 PM
Post #199

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 1 2016, 11:01 AM) *

Mike is it 32 or 34mm

1.259 or 1.338 inches

Jeff - I can't put my hands on my digital caliper but I measured on two different scales and I swear it looks like 33mm...

I have a 32mm open end wrench and it is a tad larger than the 32mm. My 32mm open fits the tie rod perfect.
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Oct 1 2016, 02:31 PM
Post #200

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

Turbo tie rods require a 32mm wrench, I have install lots of them over the years and I don't even own a 34mm wrench. The 32mm wrench I use I had to grind it to make it thinner, to about 5mm.

Jim
+Quote Post

11 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 07:27 AM