Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Undoing POs re-wire. Need a little help, Assistance needed for getting wipers, blower and horn to work again following re-wire to original
doug_b_928
post Jul 25 2014, 04:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,382
Region Association: Canada

I spent my afternoon undoing a PO's re-wire from at least 30 years ago. The PO had removed the fuses and run wires to the frunk to new fuses. I systematically unsoldered the wires from 1-12. I had the page from 'baldwinpowersports 914 fuses' and was checking operation of everything before and after the retrofit of the original fuses. It went well but 3 items don't work, but did work before:

1. The windshield wipers. My electrical knowledge is next to nil (this is my first time restoring a car; this whole thing is going to be a huge learning experience for me, which is partially why I'm doing it), but this one I basically understand. If you look at the pic of the relocated fuse box below, you'll see that they wrapped a wire around a fuse, had an inline fuse, and the other end goes to a power pin on the box (note that you'll only see 9 fuses in this box. They installed a little homemade piece of plywood with 3 more fuses on the fender, for a total of 12). The fuse the wire is wrapped around has a little "WW" scratched above it, so this is the wiper fuse. So, for some reason, the power for the wipers is coming separately.

Attached Image

My question is, how do I replicate this in my return to original? Do I do the same thing on fuse 8? If so, from where should I take the power? Here's a shot of the the back to original fuse box. The black wires below are the ones I disconnected, and labelled so I can reconnect to try to figure things out.

Attached Image

The next two I don't understand at all:

2. The dash fan no longer has power. It did work before. When I reconnected the wires for fuse 9 (the one the sheet says controls the fan), it still didn't work. Only thing I can think of is that the wiper thing is also connected to it??

3. The horn also no longer works, and reconnecting the wires also does not make it work again. Hoping that the solution for #1 also solves #s 2 and 3.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm hoping someone will chime in and help me out.

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 05:16 AM