Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Undoing POs re-wire. Need a little help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doug_b_928
I spent my afternoon undoing a PO's re-wire from at least 30 years ago. The PO had removed the fuses and run wires to the frunk to new fuses. I systematically unsoldered the wires from 1-12. I had the page from 'baldwinpowersports 914 fuses' and was checking operation of everything before and after the retrofit of the original fuses. It went well but 3 items don't work, but did work before:

1. The windshield wipers. My electrical knowledge is next to nil (this is my first time restoring a car; this whole thing is going to be a huge learning experience for me, which is partially why I'm doing it), but this one I basically understand. If you look at the pic of the relocated fuse box below, you'll see that they wrapped a wire around a fuse, had an inline fuse, and the other end goes to a power pin on the box (note that you'll only see 9 fuses in this box. They installed a little homemade piece of plywood with 3 more fuses on the fender, for a total of 12). The fuse the wire is wrapped around has a little "WW" scratched above it, so this is the wiper fuse. So, for some reason, the power for the wipers is coming separately.

Click to view attachment

My question is, how do I replicate this in my return to original? Do I do the same thing on fuse 8? If so, from where should I take the power? Here's a shot of the the back to original fuse box. The black wires below are the ones I disconnected, and labelled so I can reconnect to try to figure things out.

Click to view attachment

The next two I don't understand at all:

2. The dash fan no longer has power. It did work before. When I reconnected the wires for fuse 9 (the one the sheet says controls the fan), it still didn't work. Only thing I can think of is that the wiper thing is also connected to it??

3. The horn also no longer works, and reconnecting the wires also does not make it work again. Hoping that the solution for #1 also solves #s 2 and 3.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm hoping someone will chime in and help me out.

Thanks
Elliot Cannon
I downloaded and printed the electrical diagrams on Pelican Parts. Then I took them to a blue print shop and had them made really big. Both diagrams are 22X30 inches. I had them laminated (not cheap) and mounted on the wall of my garage. Cost a few bucks but when they are that size, it's really easy to trace wires. Very helpful.
IanJ
Have you tried running an additional ground wire from these?
Could be the PO had an additional common ground that you've now removed.

doug_b_928
QUOTE(IanJ @ Jul 25 2014, 07:54 PM) *

Have you tried running an additional ground wire from these?
Could be the PO had an additional common ground that you've now removed.

Hmmm....interesting. If the red wire in the pic is a ground, would it need to be fused? It occurs to me that I should take that fuse box off that the PO added and see what's behind that spade connector. That might show if it's a ground, I assume (like I said, I don't know anything about this).
IanJ
Do you have a multimeter? If not go out and get one.
Could save you a world of pain for a few $.

Check if power is going to the ancillaries with the meter. If it is get a spare piece of wire and make a ground (not looked at the 914 but most old cars have a marked or obvious ground screw on the component)
doug_b_928
I got it all to work again by replicating what they had done, but in the original fuse box.

Click to view attachment

The power for the wipers comes from the headlight fuse location. The power for the blower comes from fuse 11. And the black wire on fuse 10 provides power to the windshield washer pump the PO added. Since it wasn't like that originally, I wonder why the windshield wipers need power from a different source to work, and the same for the blower. The backside of the fuse panel looks to be untouched, but I suppose they may have disconnected something back there. At least now I can pull out the superfluous wiring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.