Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> What pistons?
shandyhaggis
post Jul 31 2014, 05:17 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,653
Region Association: None

Hi all

Im restoring a US 1976 2.0 with a 1973 2.0 engine (not sure how that happened but hey). Im in the UK and these are as rare as hens teeth.

Ive decided to retrofit a standard FI system (currently gathering the relevant bits).

My engine builder has suggested a Web cam - WEB #73 262/262 duration 0.426 lift which I believe is correct.

Any ideas on what pistons I should use? The 73 engine has bus pistons which are in good shape but if Im going to the expense of rebuilding then I feel I should put something better back in.

Im not looking to build a hot rod just a nice reliable fun motor.

My engine chap is suggesting Keith and Black pistons (96mm). Would that work or are there better options?

thanks

Andrew
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Java2570
post Jul 31 2014, 08:12 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,035
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Call European Motorworks - they are great and have very good prices. Also, Type 4 store has been very good as well. On my current 2.0L D Jet engine I rebuilt, I used a stock cam grind from EMW and reused my flat top KS pistons. I'm not sure I'd go with a Webcam 73 cam for an otherwise stock engine with D Jet. I ended up with buying a cam kit from Type 4 store (9590) and KB pistons and jugs from EMW. I have not built this engine (2056) yet as I'm still gathering some parts but I've read that the 9590 cam will be a better fit for D Jet than the Web 73....although some tuning will be required for any non stock cam setup. Anyway, my 2 cents only, talk to more of the great folks here! Jon
+Quote Post
shandyhaggis
post Jul 31 2014, 09:59 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,653
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Java2570 @ Jul 31 2014, 06:12 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Call European Motorworks - they are great and have very good prices. Also, Type 4 store has been very good as well. On my current 2.0L D Jet engine I rebuilt, I used a stock cam grind from EMW and reused my flat top KS pistons. I'm not sure I'd go with a Webcam 73 cam for an otherwise stock engine with D Jet. I ended up with buying a cam kit from Type 4 store (9590) and KB pistons and jugs from EMW. I have not built this engine (2056) yet as I'm still gathering some parts but I've read that the 9590 cam will be a better fit for D Jet than the Web 73....although some tuning will be required for any non stock cam setup. Anyway, my 2 cents only, talk to more of the great folks here! Jon

Thanks Jon

sadly I think the webcam is already 'purchased' by the builder so Im obliged to go with it. I will contact Euro motorworks though.

I need to read more about the standard FI for the 2.0. What are you able to adjust for tuning? I thought it was a fairly sealed thing with only a co adjustment.

Ive got soo much to learn :-)

Thankfully Im in the right place!

thanks

Andrew
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 01:09 PM