Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Project 914-LT1 Canadian V8 conversion, Getting Started with Engine Build-up
ajracer
post Jan 22 2005, 11:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,945

Greetings Fellow teeners !

Now that the COLD weather has arrived with - 5 F temperatures and the snow has
just hit Toronto hard, so I thought it would be a good time to post a new thread and
share my excitement with getting started with my V-8 conversion and build-up of the
vehicle. Let’s say I am not new to automotive, but have been in hibernation for over
twenty years. Porsche's are new to me; but German engineering is not since I used
to race formula vee (VW powered) many years ago in Atlantic Canada.

I should also mention that I am not a mechanic or ever received any "formal" training
in mechanics, but I have been around karts, motorcycles, hot rods and race cars for
more years than my 31 yr. old teener. I have build up a few Chevy small blocks and
always had good success, never any problems with good old faithful since they are
a strong and reliable engine made in the US of A, or Canada of course ! I have more
recently spent two years restoring and a complete build up of 1972 Super Beetle for
my beloved daughter. So I have been rehoning my skills in bodywork, welding, painting,
engine building, mechanics, etc. Now after acquiring a very nice Porsche 914 from
Florida that belonged to a deceased family friend, I thought this would be a good time
to bring the teener to my garage and begin this challenging CONVERSION. See for me I
get the Best of Both Worlds with a P-car and a Chevy engine ! What more could a guy
want ?

Anyways I should start my thread discussion and info for others than might be interested.
Like every conversion we all have different ideas of what we want, how
we thing it should be done, what we "think" might need to be replaced, upgraded,
purchased or re done with modern or better materials and or technology ! I will share
more about this as time progresses and my thread grows; like others some things will
follow the "suggested" course taken by most within the V-8 conversion scene; But
other things and ways will be unique or different, for many reasons and maybe just
because that's the way I think is best in my eyes.

So off I go with the basic info and some of the reasons I got here. The 914 is in very
good condition according to my inspection and the key areas as suggested by the
knowledgeable ones. The car is a 1974 former 2.0 liter with a custom added roll bar
setup, which when I last looked tied into the rear suspension and side longitudinals.
The car is complete and together except for the Engine and Transmission; the purchase
also included Rod Simpson Conversion Kit with many parts, installation manual, parts
supplier list, etc; also included were a couple sets of HD rear springs, fiberglass GT
flares and rocker panels. Pictures of the car will follow after I complete the engine
build-up, then I will bring my baby in out of the cold for some tender loving care (and
a photo session) The body does require some minor body work and paint, but that
will likely not follow until the conversion is completed and car is sorted out and driving.
A good project for next winter being the bodywork.

Engine is going to be a Chevy Camaro LT1 (1995) 350 cu.in. with aluminum heads, and
other light weight components. The engine was dismantled before Christmas and sent
off to the automotive machine shop for necessary work I required, while I purchased
the new rebuild parts from my supplier friend in Halifax, NS. (wholesale purchase of
course) Got the engine pieces all back from the machine shop about two weeks ago
and thus have slowly started the rebuild assembly process. According to my engine
guy, with a little work on the heads, pistons, etc. it should make about 375 HP with 350
ft.lbs of torque. Hopefully it will perform nicely in a 2400 lbs. Porsche ! Check out the
attached photo of partially completed short block with yours truly !

Until next time have a great day and keep to those New Year’s Resolutions !
Quit drinking, Quit smoking, Quit speeding, etc !!!!! Forget it who am I kidding !

PS. What does a 914 drive like with 375 HP ? I don’t even know what a 914 drives
like since I have never honestly even been in one, before I bought mine (sight unseen)
Someone said something about it handles like a dream, and great G-force if you have
the guts to push and hang on tight !

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Jan 23 2005, 12:40 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 538

Welcome aboard! Keep us posted and remember to take lots of pictures.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jan 23 2005, 12:43 AM
Post #3

neo life

Member No.: 159

Allan,
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) BTW, what tranny will you run?
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 23 2005, 02:01 AM
Post #4

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Great! Another sbc!!!

To answer your question, Its alot of throttle induced oversteer... lol

I find myself driving normal, and every so often... just because, I blip the throttle going around a corner spirited.. and Whip goes the rear end...

Its, well.... Instant power. Like, hmm, 5th gear. cruzing at 30. I think I want to go 40, 1/4 throttle for 2 seconds. bam, your at 40. You find yourself driving with just feathering the throttle... Daily driving requires 1/16 to 1/8 throttle... and instant torque.. Did I say instant torque? ok, think of any muscle car you've been in.. Think how responsive that is... Multiply it by 2. Bam.

Powerband is idle to redline... get it up in the rpms (with a moderate camshaft, which I think is a good idea to give it a sporty feel...) and its all a matter of how much balls you've got to keep your foot in....

I know one of the main things I like about my car, is the sound and feel. That big rattly engine behind you.. shaking the car violently at stoplights gets attention.... and its a good attention.. and the sound when the secondary's kick in? God...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...2654&hl=exhaust

and page two for with the mufflers on it... (and wide open throttle drive by (short))

You wont be dissapointed.
+Quote Post
givory
post Jan 23 2005, 08:06 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 125

...Allan , as you know - 914's are an extremely rare sight on the roads around Toronto ... I'll be looking [listening?] for yours. But there's lots of local expertise available if you need it. There are four in vintage racing locally, so when this snow melts in June, come out to Mosport and meet the gang. I'm #58 below[2.0L six] ...
Gavin

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
MecGen
post Jan 23 2005, 08:22 AM
Post #6

8 Easy Steps

Member No.: 3,421

I am going to watch this thred (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif)
I've been thinking about it, thinking about it ...
Can't wait to see how the cooling/rad sytem going to look, (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sawzall-smiley.gif)
Thumbs up
Joe
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 23 2005, 08:30 AM
Post #7

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Hi....sounds like a cool project.

Yep there's local help if you need it...plus this club!

I hate body work so I get Mike's914 (in Colborne) to do it. His prices on paint jobs are pretty good, he knows 914's and turn's them around fast.
He also does service and has new and used parts.

There is also Harmony Road in Oshawa...Alex is good but a bit spendy.

Plus porschapart.com (or something like that) in T.O.

I can't help you because I'm the air-cooled engine guy. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

Welcome to the club!
Cheers Mark
+Quote Post
marks914
post Jan 23 2005, 10:27 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,912
Region Association: None

You will love driving the car. My V8 car has about 100 less HP than you are going to have and it still hits 60 in 4 flat. You should consider different gearing for that power/torque. I had my 901 converted to a 4 speed with the taller gears and it feels like an old camaro or mustang. I wish I would have done it sooner. Unless youv'e got the big bucks then go with the 930 box.
Mark
here is my V8 car:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jan 23 2005, 11:59 AM
Post #9

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Sweet, another LT1 conversion! (I'm doing one too) Mine is out of a 1993 Firebird. How are you planning to resolve the water pump issue? Are you using the stock injection system?
+Quote Post
ajracer
post Jan 24 2005, 10:20 PM
Post #10

Greetings to INTERESTED V-8 teeners; Progress today and another photo

Bondo, the water issue for me has always been to use the RSH conversion externally
mounted water pump the same as most other conversions. So in order to do that I
needed to fabricate special LT1 type water adapters as sent on the front of my engine
below. These didn’t get welded at the correct angles I wanted but they will work fine.
Because the LT1 is reverse flow cooling (water flows through the heads 1st. then down
through the engine block) I wanted to make sure I was addressing this properly, at
least in my own mind. The two OUTPUTS from the External water pump will run across
the top of the block and connect to the top two fittings Block INPUTS, while the bottom
two Block OUTOUTS will connect into a remote thermostat housing, to be located near
the top of the block with a mounting adapter. The OUPUT from the thermostat housing
is about 1.25” diameter and this will then be reduced and run back to the radiator. All
the fittings are made to accept 0.75” water hose. One major modification being done
today is to the actual External Water pump, because the older style RSH pump has a
small opening which in turn is half restricted further when the threaded elbow is
inserted into the water pump. My solution was to locate a standard GM thermostat
housing and then have my friend at their machine shop, do the following: cut the inlet
to about 1.25”, mill it flat, then drill, countersink and tap bolts into the rear housing of
the water pump, then the GM thermostat can be bolted to the back of the water pump
and no restriction. There are some other modifications or changes that may follow if I
believe or find any restrictions to overall cooling system. Another reason behind using
the above setup also revolved around the idea that since I am using aluminum cylinder
heads/intake manifold that my engine should run cooler than many other 914
conversion. (If not I will drive it on cold days like yesterday with - 5 F. or a 75 F
summer day)

In regards to the Fuel Injection System and my solution. Let me say that I am really
interested in going with fuel a injection system, however my plan is to use the stock
manifold, injectors, etc. controlled by a MegaSquirt fully programmable controller.
HOWEVER, this will require a little more time and thought because I also want to
be able to handle the fully programmable ignition at the same time. I have everything
I need to do this now except for the MegaSquirt components, and some custom
fabricated intake items to relocate the throttle body butterfly. Because I believe there
will be limited space at the front of the engine I am going to side mount the above
mentioned throttle body and thus need to fabricate up an adapter and air filter setup.
THUS for now I am going with a special GM LT1 performance manifold and carburetor.
I already have the manifold, which includes the provision for a standard rear mounted
(old style) distributor, with a special bronze gear as required according to the Chevy
boys who build up these late model small blocks. I will also be converting to electronic
ignition which will have me closer to converting to fully programmable down the road.

For anyone considering V8 conversion, DON’T use an LT1 if you can get another Engine
like an LS1, or an earlier SBC before 1991. There are many reasons, but the main one I
learned earlier today from GM dealer was that the LT1 was a limited build by GM for
only six years and they replaced it with the LS1. Parts already are becoming hard to
find especially the smaller minor type parts. For all those wondering minds, WHY did I
choose the LT1 ? really simple, I had thought it was similar to most all the earliest 350’s
and it is in many ways, but in other ways it is unique, especially with regards to the
Opti-Spark, timing cover and front Gear driven water pump ! A close observation of the
timing cover may reveal a massage with my die grinder to get the cover to clear the
water adapters and balancer when properly assembled. For now just position for a
photo shoot. But I got a great deal on this used engine with Aluminum heads and
thought I couldn’t pass up this deal. Only to learn later that it needed a complete
rebuild because a bearing had turned on a connecting rod and also damaged the crank,
which is the reason I have replaced a few key items and prepared for a complete
rebuild. Thus after getting everything back from the engine shop I have begun not only
my V8 conversion but the engine rebuild assembly.

Mark Henry, Sorry about not being able to do any Air-Cooled business with you right
now, because I have received great reports on your workmanship and referral if I
ever needed assistance. Maybe we can talk later when I start my phase II of the 1972
Super Beetle project which includes installation of a 2.0 liter porsche type IV engine
along with 901 five speed tranny. Might be an easy project after completing this one !

Gavin thanks for the invite to Mosport, it would be a lot of fun but not so sure your
other P-car friend would share your enthusiasm; but hey if you can pull the strings then
how could a former racer ever turn down that offer ! (Would the 911 turbo guys mind if
a 914 kick their butts ?; just a thought, maybe I could remove a couple of spark plugs
or something. Just some light humor don’t take me too seriously)

Thanks to all for your input and the shared thrills of driving a 914 – V8; sounds exciting
and very fun to drive. I greatly appreciate the opinions and information found within the
914Club as well as the community spirit of helping others out when and wherever
possible, that’s a good thing in this day and age we live in ! It is much appreciate by me
and others. Until next time.

PS Sorry for being so long winded but can anyone tell that I am Insurance Salesman ?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 24 2005, 10:30 PM
Post #11

that's what I do!

Maybe we can talk later when I start my phase II of the 1972
Super Beetle project which includes installation of a 2.0 liter porsche type IV engine
along with 901 five speed tranny. Might be an easy project after completing this one !

Thank you sir!

The 901 in a bug is a pain...do-able but a lot of work for one extra gear. A built bug box isn't that expensive and it bolts in.

I have a DTM fan shroud here for you when you want to slip that T4 in your bug.

Cheers (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jan 24 2005, 10:39 PM
Post #12

neo life

My solution was to locate a standard GM thermostat
housing and then have my friend at their machine shop, do the following: cut the inlet
to about 1.25”, mill it flat, then drill, countersink and tap bolts into the rear housing of
the water pump, then the GM thermostat can be bolted to the back of the water pump
and no restriction. There are some other modifications or changes that may follow if I
believe or find any restrictions to overall cooling system

This is how the current Renegade water pump is designed.
+Quote Post
ajracer
post Feb 20 2005, 04:08 PM
Post #13

Progress Report # 2

Things are moving along slowly as I have decided to make some changes and try to improve upon some of the older RSH components and methods of actually completing the conversion. The LT1 long block is completed and just need to handle the carb and distributor along with some minor items.

The tranny (Audi type) is being considered and thus needed to fabricate my own adapter plate, along with tranny mounts, shifter, clutch linkage, etc. This is also moving along fine, with a few challenges. I now actually have my 914 in the driveway which will shortly be finding it's way into the garage and begin the process of preparation for the LT1 installation. Will also be installing and beefing up the trailing arms, and some suspension mounting areas and possbile seam welding additional areas as maybe considered necessary. Have already given serious consideration to colling systems and planning to use a similar system to the Jaidecar with the inlet for the radiator at the front and the outlet in the "Bottom of the front trunk" ANY COMMENTS or thoughts on this being a good method or reasons why not would be greatly appreciated.

Well that about covers it for now and will provide additional info and photos of the progress. All the best

Allan

PS. Anyone have a set of "shorty headers available, ideally in Canada or close
Niagara Falls, NY where I have a postal box and accessible UPS depot.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Feb 20 2005, 05:05 PM
Post #14

neo life

planning to use a similar system to the Jaidecar with the inlet for the radiator at the front and the outlet in the "Bottom of the front trunk" ANY COMMENTS or thoughts on this being a good method or reasons why not would be greatly appreciated.

Allan,
Mine was converted to Renegade radiator but still exhausts out the bottom from the original Jaide configuration. The only warning I've heard is since the trunk bottom is structural, reinforcement is recommended around the opening. I haven't done anything but haven't stressed it enough to notice flex. I also don't have a front swaybar yet. Scott at Renegade has some tubing welded from the back bulkhead of the front trunk to the floor near the headlights.

I do like how that design lays the radiator down and allows spare tire and small storage on top. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif) If you can make it work. I've seen many types of radiators that work, I just took the easy way out with the Renegade system...
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 20 2005, 06:37 PM
Post #15

that's what I do!

Allan was up here on the weekend...nice guy.

I look foward to seeing his project some day.
+Quote Post
ajracer
post Feb 20 2005, 08:41 PM
Post #16

Progress report; had some trouble adding the photos so I will try again

See Below

Allan

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ajracer
post Feb 20 2005, 08:44 PM
Post #17

Photos # 2 showing the custom adapter plate

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ajracer
post Feb 27 2005, 02:04 PM
Post #18

UPDATE

Started yesterday on the rear suspension and specifically working on the broken
control arm mount bolt; which was removed with an extractor along with some
persuation with my torch. Also got sandblast the control arms and weld in the
re-inforcement kit, after grinding the welds I moved on to cleaning degreasing and
preparation for painting soon. Slow process but also rewarding in seeing actual
progress. Photos attached for reference only.

Allan

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ajracer
post Feb 27 2005, 02:05 PM
Post #19

Another Photo after installing the re-inforcement

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914gt40
post Feb 27 2005, 05:55 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 3,600

Nice going Allan! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)

Would love to see more pics and have more info of your transaxle and adapter plate,

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 12:17 PM