Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Holly fuel pump
eimc
post Aug 3 2014, 05:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,873
Region Association: None

Iam running a holly red fuel pump on my 914-6 race car . It's a 2.2 with 40mm webers.I had hesitation problems after about 4 laps at pittsburgh grand prix. I cleaned the idle(progresion) jets( 4were clogged) started the car and it sounded ok. As I was checking in the trunk for fuel leaks I felt the fuel pump and it was hot. Then I checked the fuel pressure at the regulator and it was 3 pounds . Checked both fuel filters and cleaned , blew air in all lines to check for restrictions and everything ok. Mounted another holly red fuel pump and ran for 10 minutes and it was hot to the touch also and fuel pressure would not go above 3 pounds. I presume pressure should be 6 to 9 pounds ? Anyone have any opions? Thanks Paul
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Matt Romanowski
post Aug 3 2014, 07:18 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,507

I have a Holly blue pump and it's always hot. I thought it was going bad but maybe they just run real hot?
+Quote Post
vintage914racer
post Aug 3 2014, 08:56 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,473

I have a holley blue and it is also hot to the touch after a session on the track. I think it's just he nature of these pumps.
+Quote Post
eimc
post Aug 4 2014, 08:04 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,873

QUOTE(eimc @ Aug 3 2014, 04:21 PM) *

Iam running a holly red fuel pump on my 914-6 race car . It's a 2.2 with 40mm webers.I had hesitation problems after about 4 laps at pittsburgh grand prix. I cleaned the idle(progresion) jets( 4were clogged) started the car and it sounded ok. As I was checking in the trunk for fuel leaks I felt the fuel pump and it was hot. Then I checked the fuel pressure at the regulator and it was 3 pounds . Checked both fuel filters and cleaned , blew air in all lines to check for restrictions and everything ok. Mounted another holly red fuel pump and ran for 10 minutes and it was hot to the touch also and fuel pressure would not go above 3 pounds. I presume pressure should be 6 to 9 pounds ? Anyone have any opions? Thanks Paul

What pressures would you run ? Yhanks Paul
+Quote Post
slivel
post Aug 4 2014, 10:24 AM
Post #5

Old car....... older driver

Member No.: 2,332
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(eimc @ Aug 4 2014, 07:04 AM) *

QUOTE(eimc @ Aug 3 2014, 04:21 PM) *

What pressures would you run ? Yhanks Paul

I run A Holley Blue and two regulators. The first regulator is a Holley 4.5 - 9 psi bypass type located near the pump and I return the unused fuel to the tank to keep it and the pump cool. The second regulator is in the engine compartment and is a Holley 1 - 4 psi non-bypass type that is set to 3.5 psi. This works well with my Webber 46's.
Steve
Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Aug 4 2014, 11:00 AM
Post #6

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

I put a Facet pump in with no regulator. (noisy sumbitch)....fully expecting it to be a temporary thing. It was still there when I sold the car 12 years later.
Bog simple is good.....cheep too. 40 mm Webers with 4.5 psi of pressure with no problems. The pic is about 8 years into its life.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
ETMracing
post Aug 11 2014, 03:05 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 16,288
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

What do you all use for thread sealant on fuel items?
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Aug 11 2014, 03:35 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 6,985

QUOTE(ETMracing @ Aug 11 2014, 05:05 PM) *

What do you all use for thread sealant on fuel items?

I just did some research on this after having an issue with a pressure regulator not sealing properly at the NPT fittings. I ended up choosing a thread sealant that Earl's sells. Some said that teflon tape and liquid sealant were OK, others said not. The Earl's stuff is meant for sealing fittings for fuel and oil applications on car plumbing, so I figured their stuff should be a good choice.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Aug 11 2014, 09:05 PM
Post #9

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

I can't remember if I used the special sealant goo or regular teflon tape...but years later I have zero leaks. I'm running a Holley Red with no regulator. I used to have a regulator and gauge but my mechanic/builder removed it saying it was unnecessary with this pump and my setup. This is the low pressure (6-7psi) pump designed for carbs; with the Blue pump (11psi) you definitely need a regulator, or a different pump.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Aug 12 2014, 07:41 AM
Post #10

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

I've used both regular teflon tape and pipe dope; both work fine. I'm a bigger fan of teflon tape because it's easier to take off the fittings if you are reusing them and is dry at application.
+Quote Post
brant
post Aug 12 2014, 08:52 AM
Post #11

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

AN fittings seal on their matting face

BY DESIGN

no tape necessary

+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Aug 12 2014, 09:12 PM
Post #12

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

IIRC, I had 3-4 NPT connections....the rest were AN. I used tape on the NPTs but was damn careful not the let any teflon hang over into the joint. The fuel block was downstream of the filter.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Aug 12 2014, 10:23 PM
Post #13

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

Likewise - tape only on the pipe threads. Brant is right about AN fittings. Good ones fit precisely and don't leak without any tape or goo.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Aug 13 2014, 07:55 AM
Post #14

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

I generally avoid using teflon tape on oil and fuel fittings due to the possibility of getting some into the line.
I use Permatex pipe sealant where I don't use tape.
+Quote Post
ETMracing
post Aug 14 2014, 02:43 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 16,288
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Sounds good to me, I knew the AN lines should seal tight but I have not switched over to them yet..just use NPT now. I will try some purposed Sealant again but if not I might work with some Tape.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 02:15 PM