Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Help with Oil Leaks-Deep Sump, Oil Leaks
Stark 01
post Aug 6 2014, 08:45 AM
Post #1

Racing newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,404
Region Association: South East States

Hello everyone, I'm a first-time poster here and an owner of my first 914, which is a converted race car (done in the 90s). I'm going through the car to get it ready for racing next year and decided to see if I can minimize some of the oil leaks because it is leaking a little too much for my comfort.

I need information on the deep oil sump that came on the car, I think it is a SCAT design. I saw oil leaking from the bottom round plate, and oil coming through the mounting screws in addition to the edges of that round plate that holds the drain plug.

-I removed the round plate/drain plug and gasket. I was expecting to see the pickup and screen when I removed that but what I found is in the picture. It can spin in place but doesn't come off. The oil gets in between this plate and the sump housing, and I think that's where the oil is getting out.

-How do I remove this part to look at the pickup and screen? Should there be another gasket between this piece and the sump? What is it's purpose??

I tried searching the internet, including this site and can't find a DIY article (but I admit my search skills suck)

-Can anyone take a look at the picture and give me advice on what I need to do?
The 914 is a 1973 Body with I believe to be a 1.8L
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:45 AM