Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your current TYPE IV set up, Tell me what you have and what you think about it
malcolm2
post Aug 26 2014, 02:50 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 26 2014, 08:22 AM) *

2056cc with 96mm pistons 71mm stroke, 9 to 1 CR, 42x38 valves, HD valve springs, 9550 cam, Djet tuned. About 120hp, revs to 6500 with ease.

You are the 2nd to report having the same cam that I have and both have 9:1 CR. you both have the 2056 while mine is 1911. Jake was adamant about me staying at or under 8 CR with my 1911 cc engine, but really did not (or would not) tell me why. I trusted in the expert opinion and I am happy with the result, just curious. Anyone know why?

Clark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Aug 26 2014, 02:57 PM
Post #22

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Malcolm, I'll be damned if'n I can't cipher this one out. But it's frustrating. I just ordered an AFR today and hope to see if that can give me an indication of what's going on. My head temps are perfect, my oil temp is right at 210*, but I'm not getting the MPG's I think I should. Yes, I'm a CSOB, that's a given 'round here.

I recall a not so distant thread about drilling a hole in the throttle plate, but I haven't done that yet. I missed out on a couple TB's while at Hershey, so at least I know replacements are available if I bugger this one.

I'm also considering eliminating the AAR to see if that helps. It functions as it should, but maybe the additional air doesn't help.

Lest anyone think the Ljet is maxed out stock, all I can say is I've driven Chris Foley's creation in 2.2 form, and it's incredible. Reminds me of my 2.7 911.

Someday... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Aug 26 2014, 03:06 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139

QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 26 2014, 03:57 PM) *

Malcolm, I'll be damned if'n I can't cipher this one out. But it's frustrating. I just ordered an AFR today and hope to see if that can give me an indication of what's going on. My head temps are perfect, my oil temp is right at 210*, but I'm not getting the MPG's I think I should. Yes, I'm a CSOB, that's a given 'round here.

I'm also considering eliminating the AAR to see if that helps. It functions as it should, but maybe the additional air doesn't help.

I am right with you on the temps and low MPG.... 22 to 25, I have seen folks post higher numbers.

I have sniffed the tail pipe and everyone here seemed to think I was in the sweet spot thru the whole range.

Tim had me try a few things last year. I have the Decel off and a few other hoses plugged. We have not had a chance to get back together. But he has gotten me where I am now and that is awesome. If you figure it out, let me know.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Aug 26 2014, 03:19 PM
Post #24

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Yuppers on the MPG's. They're better with the top on but I'm right where you are. And if I'm having fun with the top off that number drops a wee bit more.

No hoses plugged. I've gone through a half dozen cans of carb cleaner to try and find any possible leaks. I think I've got 'em all...

Have you got an AFR hooked up?
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 27 2014, 05:43 AM
Post #25

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Aug 26 2014, 01:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 26 2014, 07:46 AM) *

2056 w AA cylinders and KB pistons. 9550 cam, Ljet, 9:1 cr. SS heat exchangers, Leistritz factory muffler.

Runs very well after cold start up, which requires throttle control to keep it running. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) A minute or so later, all's good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Mine does that too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) I am getting good at the big toe on the brake and the pinky toe on the gas 'til I get out of the neighborhood.

What causes that cold or early idle issue? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

The 9550 cam which is too rich at cold idle due to the not as good as stock vacuum due to valve overlap. Live with it....

As too why a 1911 shouldn't be more than 8 to 1 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Oh, I get 25 to 30 mpg depending on my foot.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Aug 27 2014, 08:43 AM
Post #26

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

Its all in the combo.
+Quote Post
Dtjaden
post Aug 27 2014, 08:57 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 15,915
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Hine62 @ Aug 26 2014, 01:22 PM) *

Lots of great information. It looks like the 2056 is the most performed up grade. With a 71mm crank the case doesn't need to be machined.

@Dtjaden Did you install the megasquirt? How much did you spend?

hine62

Yes, built & installed the Megasquirt. Spent a lot of time on the wiring using Delphi Weather Pak connectors including bulkhead connectors. My startup with the megasquirt went smoothly, first FI and then ignition. However, it is not for the faint of heart.

Tuning takes patience, a lot of reading of documentation and time spent on the Megasquirt forums, and a methodical approach. I still am not satisfied with the cold idle and some transitions areas but it is still much better than the dual Weber 40 idf carbs that were on the car before the rebuild.

Megasquirt (MS3X) cost including the wiring, Innovate AFR, injector rebuild, sensors, etc. was around $1,000.
My next step is to spend some time on a dyno to do fine tuning. By the way, my final compression ratio was 8.8:1.
+Quote Post
Dion
post Aug 27 2014, 11:04 AM
Post #28

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Hello,

"2056"
76 case,stock crank,
"Mild" FAT cam, Lift 413,Duration 258.
works well with fuel inj. Web solid lifters
96mm JE pistons 9.5:1 compression,71mm AA cylinders
CIS Fuel inj. (Rabbit/924 stuff), 009 distributor with compufire
Runs well, torque is there thru upper rev range
Sweet spot around 3500-4200rpm ,feels that way anyhow.
On paper around 120HP ?? Need to dyno.
Extra oil cooler with fan next to tranny.
Oil temps 190-210*F
Quite pleased.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Aug 27 2014, 06:20 PM
Post #29

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Raby 9350 carb cam.
german cylinders machined out.
KB pistons.
stock rods.
ceramic lifters.
all the Raby improved valvetrain kit.
Was running carbs, ultracoil and a mallory optical dizzy.
Changing to microsquirt and crank fired ignition.

Zach
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:31 PM