Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Input on current market values, 1973 2.0 appearance group - ultra original
914Next
post Aug 28 2014, 07:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,695
Region Association: Upper MidWest

So I may regret asking for opinions because I suspect that the reactions will be all over the board but here goes...

As mentioned in another thread recently I'm new to 914's and interested in buying a very original '73-'74 2.0 or 6. Just today had an owner contact me about possibly purchasing his '73 2.0. While I'v only seen pictures of the car, I will say that, based upon the couple hundred pics and documents provided, its safe to say that this is truly a well documented survivor. One owner car until July of this year (41 yrs). The car has 44k original miles. Original paint, perfect like new interior, original porsche mats, original paint markings (even on the wheel lugs) and factory stickers in all of the right places. No rust. I suspect it is one of the more original 914's around. I have not seen the car in person yet but I've purchased a lot of original cars and I think its safe to say that this one will likely, upon complete inspection, be confirmed as a true survivor of very high quality....not just a nice original.

So...with that said, I'd like some help. What is top market for a car that is a true very high quality '73 2.0 appearance group survivor? I know you'll likely ask for pics and additional information. I don't have those to share in the moment. I believe the current owner is a member here and will likely be able to sit back and enjoy the varied comments here as much as I do...so let it rip!. What is top market for a car like this? What is the highest you have seen car like this go for....a really nice one. 30's?, 40's?, 50's?

Appreciate your input. I'm interested in the car but really need to be comfortable I'm paying top dollar for a top....but not over-the-top dollar.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Aug 29 2014, 01:16 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hemmings says top price paid for a 73 is 35K. Unless there is something crazy cool about the car I would say 20K to 25K tops. The insane numbers are still going to the 6s. One on ebay right now at 60K with 2 days left.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 29 2014, 04:06 AM
Post #3

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

I'd say based on the Description, $25,000-$35,000
+Quote Post
deputydog95
post Aug 29 2014, 05:22 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,612

QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 29 2014, 06:06 AM) *

Yeah, maybe if he waits 10 years for it to appreciate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I got the same email. This gentleman is very optimistic with this asking price.

Based on ebay sales over the past 6 months, I'd put it at a ceiling of $25k. And I'm guessing it would still be a slow sell to find just the right buyer at that price. Now if it was a 74 LE..... Different story.

At $35k plus, you might as well start looking at 912's and get something truly beautiful, as well as a great investment that will appreciate faster and be far easier to sell someday. Remember, we're oddballs liking 914's. Most of the world thinks they're hideous. Truly a niche market.

+Quote Post
914Next
post Aug 29 2014, 05:23 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(steuspeed @ Aug 29 2014, 03:16 AM) *

Hemmings says top price paid for a 73 is 35K. Unless there is something crazy cool about the car I would say 20K to 25K tops. The insane numbers are still going to the 6s. One on ebay right now at 60K with 2 days left.

Thanks. When you say that Hemmings says this....where would I find that info? I wasn't aware that they provide info like that.
+Quote Post
914Next
post Aug 29 2014, 05:27 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(deputydog95 @ Aug 29 2014, 07:22 AM) *

Yeah, maybe if he waits 10 years for it to appreciate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Based on ebay sales over the past 6 months, I'd put it at a ceiling of $25k. And I'm guessing it would still be a slow sell to find just the right buyer at that price. Now if it was a 74 LE..... Different story.

At $35k plus, you might as well start looking at 912's and get something truly beautiful, as well as a great investment that will appreciate faster and be far easier to sell someday. Remember, we're oddballs liking 914's. Most of the world thinks they're hideous. Truly a niche market.

Your comments make a lot of sense...especially the oddball comment. Truly few folks see the value of these cars like we might. My reaction is that your $25k is a bit light. This is truly one of those exceptional cars....not just a really nice original.

Keep the comments coming. I like this car but you all are not making it easy for me to justify buying it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 29 2014, 06:32 AM
Post #7

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

I don't agree with a bunch of points here. I know I'm an Oddball, but the World has been coming around to 914s for the last 5 years or so. We used to be looked down upon, now PCA people smile and talk to you. A lot of PCA Execs have 914s, so they don't get swept aside anymore.

I don't consider a 912 a beautiful car. It's a narrow, ill handling, underpowered wannabee. Even though 911s have gone through the roof price wise, I consider them just another car. 95 % of people couldn't tell you the model year of a particular 911, heck they may not get within 10 years on their guess.

Appearance Group cars are going to climb in price. Nicer than an LE and they look better because they aren't painted up ready to go Halloweening!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 29 2014, 06:54 AM
Post #8

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I would say the car you are describing is a $25K car, maybe a bit more if it is really nice and there is really no rust. A desirable color might push it to $27,500.

Personally, TC has a great car he just had painted and I would love that car but he would have to install the FI.
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Aug 29 2014, 07:28 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(914Next @ Aug 29 2014, 04:23 AM) *

QUOTE(steuspeed @ Aug 29 2014, 03:16 AM) *

Thanks. When you say that Hemmings says this....where would I find that info? I wasn't aware that they provide info like that.

Just type in model info. You only get a limited number of inqueries on Hagerty. Choose wisely.

http://www.hemmings.com/priceguide/

http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch
+Quote Post
veekry9
post Aug 29 2014, 10:27 PM
Post #10

OldMember

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 16,025
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 29 2014, 08:54 AM) *

I would say the car you are describing is a $25K car, maybe a bit more if it is really nice and there is really no rust. A desirable color might push it to $27,500.

Personally, TC has a great car he just had painted and I would love that car but he would have to install the FI.

Attached Image
Funny,I had to google Fusion Energi Titanium.Thought it was a battery..hey it is a battery. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
914runnow
post Aug 29 2014, 10:58 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,948
Region Association: None

I started my resto nut n bolt on my 73 back in 94..
it has been down since 97....there is over 30G...
with purchase price..(documented)...
many of the parts are NOS and unobtanium...
and Still Needs Paint!!

Restoration is a long road.....and many $$$$$$...
and time time time.....

if the ad goes global...expect some European to take it home for 35G...
25g seems low to me....

If concouring...40 to 50 hours..and go win something...

this one owner..there around..tough to find..

I would spend 30g in a heartbeat as opposed to going thru what I have
over the years...

The downside...hoses/vac and brake...injection parts....push rod tube
seals...clutch and related.....fuel tank cond....etc. etc....
those all need to be addressed..and then some...
pull door panels..
pull bumpers and rockers..
seats out..carpet out....flashlight it every where!!
pull wheels ....
pull inspection cover.....
original heat xchngrz??? and Muff????
should be 4 to 5 hours for a complete inspection...but WHAT FUN!!

then come up with a price!!

BEWARE:::you will buy another one after this one, so you can really drive
the piss out of it and keep your 'baby' safe!!
'Nuff Said'...

+Quote Post
deputydog95
post Aug 30 2014, 08:55 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(914Next @ Aug 29 2014, 07:27 AM) *

Your comments make a lot of sense...especially the oddball comment. Truly few folks see the value of these cars like we might. My reaction is that your $25k is a bit light. This is truly one of those exceptional cars....not just a really nice original.

Keep the comments coming. I like this car but you all are not making it easy for me to justify buying it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

I'm sure it's a great car. Especially if it's a car you plan on taking to your grave. However, if you ever plan on selling it. It's going to be a challenge to get your money back. Not without waiting for that one special buyer.

QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 29 2014, 08:32 AM) *

I don't agree with a bunch of points here. I know I'm an Oddball, but the World has been coming around to 914s for the last 5 years or so. We used to be looked down upon, now PCA people smile and talk to you. A lot of PCA Execs have 914s, so they don't get swept aside anymore.

I don't consider a 912 a beautiful car. It's a narrow, ill handling, underpowered wannabee. Even though 911s have gone through the roof price wise, I consider them just another car. 95 % of people couldn't tell you the model year of a particular 911, heck they may not get within 10 years on their guess.

Appearance Group cars are going to climb in price. Nicer than an LE and they look better because they aren't painted up ready to go Halloweening!

Says the guy selling an appearance group car. No bias there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

911's (including the 912) will always be sexier and more sought after by the general car community than a 914.

While you may not prefer the look of the LE, sales show they always always always, all things being equal in condition, sell for higher prices than a LE. Let's face it, they only made 1k of them. It's a rare car. Even rarer than a 914-6.

I'm with you on the price. Again, if you were never ever ever going to sell it and money is no object then fine. But realistically, without putting yourself upside overnight, mid to high 20's. Cars are only worth what people are willing to pay, regardless of what the owner thinks it's valued at.

I'm considering TC's car too. Even though it's carbed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Doesn't seem like it will ever be finished though so I continue shopping. I have a line on another 914-6 conversion that I'm 2 days away from knowing if it will be a deal or not.

QUOTE(914runnow @ Aug 30 2014, 12:58 AM) *

and Still Needs Paint!!

and time time time.....

25g seems low to me....

over the years...

pull door panels..
pull wheels ....

'Nuff Said'...

Rule Number 1 when modifying, building, or restoring cars. You will almost NEVER get what you put into it. Look at these guys with 80k into a 914-6 conversion. $20k more than a real one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I think we've all done it though. Some of us (cough me cough) have done it numerous times. However, it's fun and I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Even if it's a break even or more likely a loss. I sold a 997 GT3 last year. Basically for what a stock one costs. For fear of embarrassment I won't tell you how much $ I had in the car with track upgrades but let's just say I could have got a nice 73-74 two liter car with a COA isntead (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
914Next
post Aug 30 2014, 09:17 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(deputydog95 @ Aug 30 2014, 10:55 AM) *

I'm sure it's a great car. Especially if it's a car you plan on taking to your grave. However, if you ever plan on selling it. It's going to be a challenge to get your money back. Not without waiting for that one special buyer.

Says the guy selling an appearance group car. No bias there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

911's (including the 912) will always be sexier and more sought after by the general car community than a 914.

While you may not prefer the look of the LE, sales show they always always always, all things being equal in condition, sell for higher prices than a LE. Let's face it, they only made 1k of them. It's a rare car. Even rarer than a 914-6.

I'm with you on the price. Again, if you were never ever ever going to sell it and money is no object then fine. But realistically, without putting yourself upside overnight, mid to high 20's. Cars are only worth what people are willing to pay, regardless of what the owner thinks it's valued at.

I'm considering TC's car too. Even though it's carbed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Doesn't seem like it will ever be finished though so I continue shopping. I have a line on another 914-6 conversion that I'm 2 days away from knowing if it will be a deal or not.

and Still Needs Paint!!

and time time time.....

25g seems low to me....

over the years...

pull door panels..
pull wheels ....

'Nuff Said'...

Rule Number 1 when modifying, building, or restoring cars. You will almost NEVER get what you put into it. Look at these guys with 80k into a 914-6 conversion. $20k more than a real one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I think we've all done it though. Some of us (cough me cough) have done it numerous times. However, it's fun and I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Even if it's a break even or more likely a loss. I sold a 997 GT3 last year. Basically for what a stock one costs. For fear of embarrassment I won't tell you how much $ I had in the car with track upgrades but let's just say I could have got a nice 73-74 two liter car with a COA isntead (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

I appreciate all of the additional input. I agree completely with those who acknowledge that buying a lesser car and doing a lot of work on it will almost always cost more (both $ AND effort) than buying an absolutely pristine original for high $. In my current case I believe the car I'm looking at is absolutely superb. Certainly probably in the top 5-10% of the 914 20.'s out there. My challenge is that the current owner wants close to $49k for the car. I certainly am not critical of that fact.....more power to him. I own a '96 Twin Turbo. Paid $65k and wouldn't sell for less than $125-$135k today (but likely would not get offers that high...yet). I want the 914. Great car and seems like a great seller. In the end, I may have to respectfully bow out. I could probably get myself to $37-39k. Any higher and I suspect I'll be under water for the next 10+ years.

+Quote Post
deputydog95
post Aug 30 2014, 10:13 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(914Next @ Aug 30 2014, 11:17 AM) *

and Still Needs Paint!!

and time time time.....

25g seems low to me....

over the years...

pull door panels..
pull wheels ....

'Nuff Said'...

I appreciate all of the additional input. I agree completely with those who acknowledge that buying a lesser car and doing a lot of work on it will almost always cost more (both $ AND effort) than buying an absolutely pristine original for high $. In my current case I believe the car I'm looking at is absolutely superb. Certainly probably in the top 5-10% of the 914 20.'s out there. My challenge is that the current owner wants close to $49k for the car. I certainly am not critical of that fact.....more power to him. I own a '96 Twin Turbo. Paid $65k and wouldn't sell for less than $125-$135k today (but likely would not get offers that high...yet). I want the 914. Great car and seems like a great seller. In the end, I may have to respectfully bow out. I could probably get myself to $37-39k. Any higher and I suspect I'll be under water for the next 10+ years.

You'd be underwater at $35k, let alone $50k. You can't compare 993 turbo appreciation to a 914. Apples and... what's the ugliest fruit you can buy? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
914Next
post Aug 30 2014, 10:45 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(deputydog95 @ Aug 30 2014, 12:13 PM) *

and Still Needs Paint!!

and time time time.....

25g seems low to me....

over the years...

pull door panels..
pull wheels ....

'Nuff Said'...

You'd be underwater at $35k, let alone $50k. You can't compare 993 turbo appreciation to a 914. Apples and... what's the ugliest fruit you can buy? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Apples and tomatoes? Technically its a fruit but many people don't know it or wouldn't acknowledge it.

I appreciate your comments. All of this input is very helpful.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 30 2014, 11:12 AM
Post #16

Racer from Birth

and Still Needs Paint!!

and time time time.....

25g seems low to me....

over the years...

pull door panels..
pull wheels ....

'Nuff Said'...

For that Price, you would be better off buying my car and doing whatever you want to it.

I've been working putting it back together all morning - taking a break before doing a Brake Job on my F-150
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 30 2014, 02:20 PM
Post #17

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I amazed people would pay this kind of money for a 4. Are these cars to drive or just garage eye candy?
+Quote Post
deputydog95
post Aug 30 2014, 03:30 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 30 2014, 01:12 PM) *

and Still Needs Paint!!

and time time time.....

25g seems low to me....

over the years...

pull door panels..
pull wheels ....

'Nuff Said'...

For that Price, you would be better off buying my car and doing whatever you want to it.

I've been working putting it back together all morning - taking a break before doing a Brake Job on my F-150

Unless you're selling your F150 too, you have your priorities all wrong (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 30 2014, 04:20 PM) *

I amazed people would pay this kind of money for a 4. Are these cars to drive or just garage eye candy?

Mute point. No one is paying 49k for a 14-4.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 30 2014, 06:13 PM
Post #19

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

i mean $20k +
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Aug 30 2014, 06:43 PM
Post #20

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 30 2014, 04:13 PM) *

i mean $20k +

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) It's not a moot point. Are there actually real world sales reflecting stock 4's REGULARLY bringing 20k +, or is it just people asking for it ? I know of 2-3 completely original, highly maintained, super low mileage cars that have brought high dollars, but they are the unicorns of the car market. Stock, original, nicely maintained or well restored cars I have seen are bringing 12-20,000 tops (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:39 AM