Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> two years in the making, The first test sessions of my LS 914
Andyrew
post Sep 22 2014, 12:32 PM
Post #21

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Very impressive! A 400hp LS with what looks like a decent turbo running 8psi should be well north of 600hp. Looks like you were short shifting as you mentioned!

Can you post a link to your build thread on pelican?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
returf
post Sep 22 2014, 01:19 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 14,806
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

Andyrew heres the link but it's actually in club not pelican.

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=332491

The turbo ls1 is in fact hub dynoed at 500hp at the rear wheels but on that test session ( i have included another link with some of the graphics on it ) you will notice the Inlet air temp going out of control . This would have greatly reduced available power from being so hot. The only real fix is a properly matched turbo ( you live and learn )
As to the short shifting, you are right there. It was only some exploritory laps, so no need to start finding limits just yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVTPzbl5xF4

As you can see the max speed was only 192 kph but I was lifting off at two thirds down the back straight because of a rather concerning shake of the steering wheel when I applied the brakes!! Its all going to be a learning curve at the moment. I'm going to upgrade the turbo as soon as finance allows and then have another go.

Cheers
Mike
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 28 2014, 11:54 PM
Post #23

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Mike,

Why dont you just grab a bigger exhaust housing for the turbo? Cheap and quick and for ~$400 you probably will have a more matched system.. Just bolt on and bolt off, you wont have to re-balance it and everything SHOULD be physically similar or similar enough.

What exact turbo are you using? I can certainly help you in that department. I have a wealth of turbo experts I know well.

+Quote Post
returf
post Sep 29 2014, 03:07 AM
Post #24

Hey Thanks Andrew, Today was my birthday and I told my wife and kids to contribute what they could for a new turbo. So with that I have made a purchase tonight of a Borg Warner S475 (S400SX3) T6 Twin Scroll Turbo. I know this has a map that will put me in the efficiency zone to deliver the required boost without generating large amounts of heat. The old turbo was a bit of an unknowen really Aliexpress described it as a gt45r but it's more like the size of a 3540. I thought about getting a new turbine housing but really have no idea what i'm dealing with. I would be interested in your thoughts on the size of the S475 ( I haven't sent the money yet)

Cheers
Mike
+Quote Post
Randal
post Sep 29 2014, 01:01 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(returf @ Sep 29 2014, 02:07 AM) *

Hey Thanks Andrew, Today was my birthday and I told my wife and kids to contribute what they could for a new turbo. So with that I have made a purchase tonight of a Borg Warner S475 (S400SX3) T6 Twin Scroll Turbo. I know this has a map that will put me in the efficiency zone to deliver the required boost without generating large amounts of heat. The old turbo was a bit of an unknowen really Aliexpress described it as a gt45r but it's more like the size of a 3540. I thought about getting a new turbine housing but really have no idea what i'm dealing with. I would be interested in your thoughts on the size of the S475 ( I haven't sent the money yet)

Cheers
Mike

You're going to rip the tires right off that puppy. Oh boy!
+Quote Post
returf
post Oct 1 2014, 08:48 PM
Post #26

well the new turbo arrived !!! gulp

Attached Image

Attached Image

now I have to try and fit this monster in!!!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Oct 1 2014, 10:19 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE(returf @ Oct 1 2014, 07:48 PM) *

well the new turbo arrived !!! gulp

Attached Image

Attached Image

now I have to try and fit this monster in!!!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Are you kidding me?
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Oct 5 2014, 05:57 PM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Uh, yeah... that'll breathe a bit better for your size engine... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
returf
post Oct 11 2014, 09:58 PM
Post #29

Actually the turbo was advertised as a s400 SX3 but it turns out it has the ID numbers of a SX4 ie 171720 so slightly better map for my application. anyway it's taken a bit more than I envisioned to get this mounted and everything fitting in the space but perseverance pays off

Attached Image

I've only got the tailpipe to squeeze in now, and as you can see, there's not going to be backpressure in this 5" beauty

Attached Image

and if you're wondering this behemouth weighs 23kg to try and muscle through the gap between the rollbar brace and the engine. I saw more blood ooze from the top of my right hand than I thought possible through the last week. Most unattractive she says!!!!
+Quote Post
Randal
post Oct 13 2014, 08:23 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE(returf @ Oct 11 2014, 08:58 PM) *

Actually the turbo was advertised as a s400 SX3 but it turns out it has the ID numbers of a SX4 ie 171720 so slightly better map for my application. anyway it's taken a bit more than I envisioned to get this mounted and everything fitting in the space but perseverance pays off

Attached Image

I've only got the tailpipe to squeeze in now, and as you can see, there's not going to be backpressure in this 5" beauty

Attached Image

and if you're wondering this behemouth weighs 23kg to try and muscle through the gap between the rollbar brace and the engine. I saw more blood ooze from the top of my right hand than I thought possible through the last week. Most unattractive she says!!!!

Well we know what the competition will be looking at!
+Quote Post
returf
post Nov 5 2014, 02:10 AM
Post #31

finally got down to the dyno today for a touch-up tune with the new turbo. After the first tune with the smaller turbo, and wanting this tune to be within the same ballpark output wise, we started off slowly and exceeded our last turbos output using only 7lb boost. It made 520hp (387kw) at the wheels @ 5309rpm. Tuner Chris was keen to go to 8lb's but I decided that being a std ls1 engine and given the fact that I need to get some seat time, it would be better to stop there. The best part is the inlet air temp is much lower now due to the more efficient turbo. I'll post a short vid link in the coming days . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Nov 5 2014, 09:29 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(returf @ Nov 5 2014, 12:10 AM) *

finally got down to the dyno today for a touch-up tune with the new turbo. After the first tune with the smaller turbo, and wanting this tune to be within the same ballpark output wise, we started off slowly and exceeded our last turbos output using only 7lb boost. It made 520hp (387kw) at the wheels @ 5309rpm. Tuner Chris was keen to go to 8lb's but I decided that being a std ls1 engine and given the fact that I need to get some seat time, it would be better to stop there. The best part is the inlet air temp is much lower now due to the more efficient turbo. I'll post a short vid link in the coming days . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Speechless..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
returf
post Nov 6 2014, 01:14 AM
Post #33

So here's the link to the short video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiA0dMTjiLA

Gotta feel for the poor tuner though
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 06:12 AM