Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Penetrating oil test
puffinator
post Aug 31 2014, 01:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,218
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I got this via another car guy forum.

For All of you Mechanic's and Self doer’s out there.
Penetrating Oil - interesting
This was in one of the Military Vehicle Club newsletters

Here is an interesting article submitted by Bob Muller for our members consideration
Penetrating Oils
Recently “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils. Using nuts and
bolts that they ‘scientifically rusted’ to a uniform degree by soaking in salt water, they then
tested the break-out torque required to loosen the nuts. They treated the nuts with a variety
of penetrants and measured the torque required to loosen them.
This is what they came up with:
Nothing: 516 lbs
WD-40: 238 lbs;
PB Blaster: 214 lbs;
Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,
Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
(ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50): 50 lbs.

This last “shop brew” of 50% automatic transmission fluid and 50% acetone appears to beat
out the commercially prepared products costing far more.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Rand
post Aug 31 2014, 05:27 PM
Post #2

Cross Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

What car guy forum was this? Did the X19 club finally catch up?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
FWIW, this info was also posted on THIS car guy forum long ago. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Good news for most of us, just mix PB Blaster and heat. Pick up a mapp gas torch at home depot for the heat. You don't need complex formulations. Technique is more important. Let it penetrate. Heat cycle. Done. If it's really that stubborn, repeat cycle. And do we really have to explain that you don't just twist one direction? Break it and work it back and forth before forcing it!! Never just one direction before it works free.

If the bolt doesn't matter, break it. My dad taught me that one right fast... He gave me the chore of getting a bolt apart on an old tractor. I was in jr high. I worked on it for half an hour, then told him it ain't coming loose. He came out with a long wrench and twisted clockwise to break it off in one second. Learned a lesson quick like on that one.

But if you have to get one loose, heat is way faster than magic fluids. But PB Blaster with heat is fine, you don't need to be a chemist.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 11:37 AM