Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gas Tank Adventures, Tank out, stripping paint...
bdstone914
post Oct 12 2014, 12:13 PM
Post #21

bdstone914

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,319

I have a couple of good clan late tanks. Hear are some pics of one of them if either of you are interested.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Oct 12 2014, 12:53 PM
Post #22

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

Bruce, thanks for the message. I'm going to try some Evapo-Rust (have about a 1/2 bottle left) on the inside of my tank next weekend. See how that works.

Does anyone know if that Evapo-Rust will damage the inside coating at all? If so, I may just try the vinegar instead (and hey, that's cheaper).
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 12 2014, 01:05 PM
Post #23

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Oct 12 2014, 02:53 PM) *

Bruce, thanks for the message. I'm going to try some Evapo-Rust (have about a 1/2 bottle left) on the inside of my tank next weekend. See how that works.

Does anyone know if that Evapo-Rust will damage the inside coating at all? If so, I may just try the vinegar instead (and hey, that's cheaper).

If its rusting, then there's probably no coating inside the tank. stock is just bare steel. That's why it's important to keep fresh gas in the tank or some mmo if your leaving it empty.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Oct 12 2014, 01:11 PM
Post #24

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 12 2014, 12:05 PM) *

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Oct 12 2014, 02:53 PM) *

If its rusting, then there's probably no coating inside the tank. stock is just bare steel. That's why it's important to keep fresh gas in the tank or some mmo if your leaving it empty.

I have used vinegar but have more of a problem with flash rust if you can't get it dried quickly.
Bruce
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Oct 12 2014, 01:41 PM
Post #25

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 12 2014, 08:41 AM) *

Vinegar is cheap, works great and no noxious fumes or hazmats. If your not satisfied with your tanks paint job, I would take it to a body shop for a coat of epoxy.

Tell me more about the epoxy coat? Is that just an epoxy primer and I would also need to have the body shop paint a coat over that?

I might go the route of por-15 tank sealer also. But is that done before or after a paint job? If after, how do you keep the tank from flash rusting again?
+Quote Post
cary
post Oct 12 2014, 07:19 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Another Google item.
As soon as you finish cleaning the tank with vinegar. Mix up a combo of Marvel Mystery Oil and gasoline slosh it around to coat the tank.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 06:15 AM