Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New purchase '72 914-6 conversion, What should I do with it?
BK911
post Sep 9 2014, 06:13 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,674
Region Association: None

Just took delivery of a '72 914-6 conversion and am a little disappointed in the car.
PO told me no accident or rust damage or repair, but the front end clearly has some poor repair work done to it, as well as lots of remaining crinkles in the pan.
Alignment all looks good and the car tracks well, but I did not get what I thought I bought.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=219849&hl=

Some pics:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Beautiful car, until you really look at this:

Attached Image

The lower left and right corner threaded bosses look like a bad boob job. Unfortunately I did not notice in time and am now stuck with the car.

So trying to figure out my options.

I paid $14k plus $1800 shipping and import fees, so say $16k invested.
I have the '70S engine sold (pending payment) for $10k.
That leaves a roller and $6k on the table.

Now what?
Sell the roller?
Part out the car? I can use some of the parts for my '72 1.7.
Build up a 2.4E with parts I already have and keep?
Or sell with the 2.4E engine?
Or ????

Please help!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
carr914
post Sep 9 2014, 06:53 AM
Post #2

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

That car was FS for quite a while and that Pan Damage was pointed out by someone if not the Owner.

Did you inspect it in person before purchase? If you did not, then IMO, you did get what you paid for.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 9 2014, 06:54 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

What's the extent of the damage? Front end accident? Does it look repairable?
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 9 2014, 06:55 AM
Post #4

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

- I almost bought this car, but the discussions here came up and it was a concensus that the car must have been in and accident. as a result i was still interested in the car but not at the price he was asking or that you paid. I even sold my boxster with the idea of possibly getting that car, but since it sold that week- to you, i bought Jag for the wife and decided to keep working on my other 914 - - so sorry but it seemed quite obvious that this car had an issue. with that said if it drives straight and is aligned, and no rust i would have just drove it and kept it together, i think you still could have fixed that or just kept as is and sold it in a couple years for a profit. the way /6 conversion prices are going up------- why did you take the motor out and sell it?? just not sure why you would do that- i think you could have gotten more for the motor too. --- but i would NOT part out the car-- put a nice 2.0 motor in it, get that damage checked out better and maybe fix it or just leave alone - i think if you document that well since it is rust free and solid otherwise it will sell in one piece -- hey i'll give you $2500 for the tub right now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Edit: - fix your 2.4 E- put it in and sell it that way -
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 9 2014, 07:00 AM
Post #5

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I guess it depends upon what you really wanted/expected. That is a nice car as bought for a great price. Sure it may need someone like Scotty B. to straighten the front end and/or replace the front trunk pan- they are available new by Restoration Design I believe, but at 43 years of age you have to expect some minor wrinkles here and there. For the price you paid I think you got a great deal. Tell us what your thoughts are.
+Quote Post
dknechtly
post Sep 9 2014, 07:06 AM
Post #6

Yellow 914

Member No.: 560

Overall, it looks like a decent car. Since you say it is tracking good, if you want a good daily driver, hold on to it and enjoy. If the front really bothers you, most body shops could iron that out for a reasonable amount. Even with what you spent, it'd be very hard to build a 6 from scratch if you hire it all done. It just seems a shame to part it out.
+Quote Post
BK911
post Sep 9 2014, 07:52 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 9 2014, 08:53 AM) *

That car was FS for quite a while and that Pan Damage was pointed out by someone if not the Owner.

Did you inspect it in person before purchase? If you did not, then IMO, you did get what you paid for.

Very helpful, thanks.

I asked the seller specifically, besides the rockers, "Is there any accident or rust damage or repair?"
The sellers response was, "No."
So I bought a car that was advertised as NO ACCIDENT DAMAGE OR REPAIR. And that is not what I received.
And I am not blaming the seller for being a liar, it is my fault for not paying closer attention and asking for more pictures.

Yes the car tracks straight, and no obvious damage to the shock towers. Just disappointed to be purposely lied to. I would NOT have bought the car had I known.

I sold the engine because I do not like the 2.2S engine. Too peaky for my tastes.
I would love to get out and break even, and the only way I think I can do that is by parting out. There are some nice bits on the car, and I can use some of them for my other 914.

Still undecided so please keep the opinions coming.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Sep 9 2014, 07:58 AM
Post #8

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Think I'd get the front pan straightened/repaired/replaced & put any six I could find back in there (since it's already six ready) & sell her as is. I think you'd get your $ back IF the rest of the car is as pretty & rust free as you say.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Sep 9 2014, 08:03 AM
Post #9

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Sep 9 2014, 08:55 AM) *

- I almost bought this car, but the discussions here came up and it was a concensus that the car must have been in and accident. as a result i was still interested in the car but not at the price he was asking or that you paid. I even sold my boxster with the idea of possibly getting that car, but since it sold that week- to you, i bought Jag for the wife and decided to keep working on my other 914 - - so sorry but it seemed quite obvious that this car had an issue. with that said if it drives straight and is aligned, and no rust i would have just drove it and kept it together, i think you still could have fixed that or just kept as is and sold it in a couple years for a profit. the way /6 conversion prices are going up------- why did you take the motor out and sell it?? just not sure why you would do that- i think you could have gotten more for the motor too. --- but i would NOT part out the car-- put a nice 2.0 motor in it, get that damage checked out better and maybe fix it or just leave alone - i think if you document that well since it is rust free and solid otherwise it will sell in one piece -- hey i'll give you $2500 for the tub right now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Edit: - fix your 2.4 E- put it in and sell it that way -

I agree about the 70 911S Motor - that was worth more than $10k
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Sep 9 2014, 08:18 AM
Post #10

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

Your S motor probably could have paid off your car....they are reaching 20k range in running condition.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Sep 9 2014, 08:27 AM
Post #11

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I would keep it together and drive it. Not saying anything about you being surprised or not.... its a /6 with an S motor. DRIVE IT. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Sep 9 2014, 08:36 AM
Post #12

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

Right now you are disappointed and not thinking clearly.

Do NOT sell the engine. At $10K you are getting taken.

Get one of the good body guys in this forum to replace the truck pan and any other damaged metal. After 40 years there are few 914's that don't have some story (be it rust, accident damage, etc.).

The car has some nice parts and once properly sorted is a $20K+ car. Real 914/6 heat exchangers are $$. You also have a 5 lug conversion, real Fuchs, real oil tank, and other bits that add up to BIG money.

Bite the bullet, fix the damage, and you will be MUCH further ahead in the long run, I assure you.

Once again...do NOT sell the engine.
+Quote Post
OllieG
post Sep 9 2014, 08:58 AM
Post #13

OllieG

Member No.: 13,282
Region Association: England

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 9 2014, 03:36 PM) *

Right now you are disappointed and not thinking clearly.

Do NOT sell the engine. At $10K you are getting taken.

Get one of the good body guys in this forum to replace the truck pan and any other damaged metal. After 40 years there are few 914's that don't have some story (be it rust, accident damage, etc.).

The car has some nice parts and once properly sorted is a $20K+ car. Real 914/6 heat exchangers are $$. You also have a 5 lug conversion, real Fuchs, real oil tank, and other bits that add up to BIG money.

Bite the bullet, fix the damage, and you will be MUCH further ahead in the long run, I assure you.

Once again...do NOT sell the engine.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I don't get what the problem is?…the front pan is lumpy so you want to part it out and sell it on? Any other signs of accident damage?

Why not just get it fixed professionally…looks like a nice car otherwise with a great motor, no? Restoration Design do a replacement pan.

Just my 2 cents...
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 9 2014, 09:14 AM
Post #14

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Get a motor in it, and feel free to beat the snot out of it on the road or on the track! It's a conversion, so you don't have to feel bad about risking it on the streets, or pushing things on the track.

My advice: Get it running, then drive it like you stole it!

If you want to save the 2.4 for a "perfect" conversion somewhere down the road, then consider an injected 3.2 motor. Awesome power, decent gas mileage, and the injection is not nearly as fussy as MFI or even as carbs.

That has "driver" written all over it, IMHO.

--DD
+Quote Post
BK911
post Sep 9 2014, 09:35 AM
Post #15

Ok, thanks guys.
So not as big of a deal as I am making it.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 9 2014, 10:37 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Start with P337 B

Front Trunk Pan

$200...not bad.
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Sep 9 2014, 11:18 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 10,509
Region Association: North East States

Maybe I missed something, but regardless of the crash damage.. Where is everyone getting that the engine is a real 70 S engine ?
All I saw in the ad was that it had S Cams.. Before everyone flips out, how about some documentation that it is really an S. Could be anything without a serial number.
10 grand for an unknown engine isn't unreasonable.

Just saying...
+Quote Post
BK911
post Sep 9 2014, 12:18 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Sep 9 2014, 01:18 PM) *

Maybe I missed something, but regardless of the crash damage.. Where is everyone getting that the engine is a real 70 S engine ?
All I saw in the ad was that it had S Cams.. Before everyone flips out, how about some documentation that it is really an S. Could be anything without a serial number.
10 grand for an unknown engine isn't unreasonable.

Just saying...

I cant speak for everyone, but I am getting that the engine is a real 70 S engine because the car is in my shed and I verified the serial number on the case. 630xxxx. A real beyotch to see, but a flashlight and mirror did the trick.

Any guesses as to value? No exhaust, induction or engine tin.
+Quote Post
BK911
post Sep 9 2014, 12:30 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 9 2014, 12:37 PM) *

Start with P337 B

Front Trunk Pan

$200...not bad.

Thanks Chris. $200 aint bad. But the work kinda sucks!
Already have a car on the lift and one on the rotisserie.
This one will stay as is until I get to her.
As others have said, drive the pee out of her!

Again, thanks for all the opinions.
Talked me down off the ledge!
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Sep 9 2014, 12:34 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 10,509
Region Association: North East States

The real value of the engine would be finding the owner of the car it came out of. IF it still exists. Otherwise, prices are over the place.. Why are you wasting your time posting here. Go to the Early S Registry and put it there. They will know what the value is.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 09:27 AM