Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New purchase '72 914-6 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BK911
Just took delivery of a '72 914-6 conversion and am a little disappointed in the car.
PO told me no accident or rust damage or repair, but the front end clearly has some poor repair work done to it, as well as lots of remaining crinkles in the pan.
Alignment all looks good and the car tracks well, but I did not get what I thought I bought.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=219849&hl=

Some pics:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Beautiful car, until you really look at this:

Click to view attachment

The lower left and right corner threaded bosses look like a bad boob job. Unfortunately I did not notice in time and am now stuck with the car.

So trying to figure out my options.

I paid $14k plus $1800 shipping and import fees, so say $16k invested.
I have the '70S engine sold (pending payment) for $10k.
That leaves a roller and $6k on the table.

Now what?
Sell the roller?
Part out the car? I can use some of the parts for my '72 1.7.
Build up a 2.4E with parts I already have and keep?
Or sell with the 2.4E engine?
Or ????

Please help!!

headbang.gif
carr914
That car was FS for quite a while and that Pan Damage was pointed out by someone if not the Owner.

Did you inspect it in person before purchase? If you did not, then IMO, you did get what you paid for.
Chris H.
What's the extent of the damage? Front end accident? Does it look repairable?
DRPHIL914
- I almost bought this car, but the discussions here came up and it was a concensus that the car must have been in and accident. as a result i was still interested in the car but not at the price he was asking or that you paid. I even sold my boxster with the idea of possibly getting that car, but since it sold that week- to you, i bought Jag for the wife and decided to keep working on my other 914 - - so sorry but it seemed quite obvious that this car had an issue. with that said if it drives straight and is aligned, and no rust i would have just drove it and kept it together, i think you still could have fixed that or just kept as is and sold it in a couple years for a profit. the way /6 conversion prices are going up------- why did you take the motor out and sell it?? just not sure why you would do that- i think you could have gotten more for the motor too. --- but i would NOT part out the car-- put a nice 2.0 motor in it, get that damage checked out better and maybe fix it or just leave alone - i think if you document that well since it is rust free and solid otherwise it will sell in one piece -- hey i'll give you $2500 for the tub right now wink.gif

Edit: - fix your 2.4 E- put it in and sell it that way -
Cairo94507
I guess it depends upon what you really wanted/expected. That is a nice car as bought for a great price. Sure it may need someone like Scotty B. to straighten the front end and/or replace the front trunk pan- they are available new by Restoration Design I believe, but at 43 years of age you have to expect some minor wrinkles here and there. For the price you paid I think you got a great deal. Tell us what your thoughts are.
dknechtly
Overall, it looks like a decent car. Since you say it is tracking good, if you want a good daily driver, hold on to it and enjoy. If the front really bothers you, most body shops could iron that out for a reasonable amount. Even with what you spent, it'd be very hard to build a 6 from scratch if you hire it all done. It just seems a shame to part it out.
BK911
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 9 2014, 08:53 AM) *

That car was FS for quite a while and that Pan Damage was pointed out by someone if not the Owner.

Did you inspect it in person before purchase? If you did not, then IMO, you did get what you paid for.

Very helpful, thanks.

I asked the seller specifically, besides the rockers, "Is there any accident or rust damage or repair?"
The sellers response was, "No."
So I bought a car that was advertised as NO ACCIDENT DAMAGE OR REPAIR. And that is not what I received.
And I am not blaming the seller for being a liar, it is my fault for not paying closer attention and asking for more pictures.

Yes the car tracks straight, and no obvious damage to the shock towers. Just disappointed to be purposely lied to. I would NOT have bought the car had I known.

I sold the engine because I do not like the 2.2S engine. Too peaky for my tastes.
I would love to get out and break even, and the only way I think I can do that is by parting out. There are some nice bits on the car, and I can use some of them for my other 914.

Still undecided so please keep the opinions coming.
Johny Blackstain
Think I'd get the front pan straightened/repaired/replaced & put any six I could find back in there (since it's already six ready) & sell her as is. I think you'd get your $ back IF the rest of the car is as pretty & rust free as you say.
carr914
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Sep 9 2014, 08:55 AM) *

- I almost bought this car, but the discussions here came up and it was a concensus that the car must have been in and accident. as a result i was still interested in the car but not at the price he was asking or that you paid. I even sold my boxster with the idea of possibly getting that car, but since it sold that week- to you, i bought Jag for the wife and decided to keep working on my other 914 - - so sorry but it seemed quite obvious that this car had an issue. with that said if it drives straight and is aligned, and no rust i would have just drove it and kept it together, i think you still could have fixed that or just kept as is and sold it in a couple years for a profit. the way /6 conversion prices are going up------- why did you take the motor out and sell it?? just not sure why you would do that- i think you could have gotten more for the motor too. --- but i would NOT part out the car-- put a nice 2.0 motor in it, get that damage checked out better and maybe fix it or just leave alone - i think if you document that well since it is rust free and solid otherwise it will sell in one piece -- hey i'll give you $2500 for the tub right now wink.gif

Edit: - fix your 2.4 E- put it in and sell it that way -

I agree about the 70 911S Motor - that was worth more than $10k
matthepcat
Your S motor probably could have paid off your car....they are reaching 20k range in running condition.
EdwardBlume
I would keep it together and drive it. Not saying anything about you being surprised or not.... its a /6 with an S motor. DRIVE IT. driving.gif
billh1963
Right now you are disappointed and not thinking clearly.

Do NOT sell the engine. At $10K you are getting taken.

Get one of the good body guys in this forum to replace the truck pan and any other damaged metal. After 40 years there are few 914's that don't have some story (be it rust, accident damage, etc.).

The car has some nice parts and once properly sorted is a $20K+ car. Real 914/6 heat exchangers are $$. You also have a 5 lug conversion, real Fuchs, real oil tank, and other bits that add up to BIG money.

Bite the bullet, fix the damage, and you will be MUCH further ahead in the long run, I assure you.

Once again...do NOT sell the engine.
OllieG
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 9 2014, 03:36 PM) *

Right now you are disappointed and not thinking clearly.

Do NOT sell the engine. At $10K you are getting taken.

Get one of the good body guys in this forum to replace the truck pan and any other damaged metal. After 40 years there are few 914's that don't have some story (be it rust, accident damage, etc.).

The car has some nice parts and once properly sorted is a $20K+ car. Real 914/6 heat exchangers are $$. You also have a 5 lug conversion, real Fuchs, real oil tank, and other bits that add up to BIG money.

Bite the bullet, fix the damage, and you will be MUCH further ahead in the long run, I assure you.

Once again...do NOT sell the engine.

agree.gif I don't get what the problem is?…the front pan is lumpy so you want to part it out and sell it on? Any other signs of accident damage?

Why not just get it fixed professionally…looks like a nice car otherwise with a great motor, no? Restoration Design do a replacement pan.

Just my 2 cents...
Dave_Darling
Get a motor in it, and feel free to beat the snot out of it on the road or on the track! It's a conversion, so you don't have to feel bad about risking it on the streets, or pushing things on the track.

My advice: Get it running, then drive it like you stole it!

If you want to save the 2.4 for a "perfect" conversion somewhere down the road, then consider an injected 3.2 motor. Awesome power, decent gas mileage, and the injection is not nearly as fussy as MFI or even as carbs.

That has "driver" written all over it, IMHO.

--DD
BK911
Ok, thanks guys.
So not as big of a deal as I am making it.
Chris H.
Start with P337 B

Front Trunk Pan

$200...not bad.
gandalf_025
Maybe I missed something, but regardless of the crash damage.. Where is everyone getting that the engine is a real 70 S engine ?
All I saw in the ad was that it had S Cams.. Before everyone flips out, how about some documentation that it is really an S. Could be anything without a serial number.
10 grand for an unknown engine isn't unreasonable.

Just saying...
BK911
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Sep 9 2014, 01:18 PM) *

Maybe I missed something, but regardless of the crash damage.. Where is everyone getting that the engine is a real 70 S engine ?
All I saw in the ad was that it had S Cams.. Before everyone flips out, how about some documentation that it is really an S. Could be anything without a serial number.

Just saying...

I cant speak for everyone, but I am getting that the engine is a real 70 S engine because the car is in my shed and I verified the serial number on the case. 630xxxx. A real beyotch to see, but a flashlight and mirror did the trick.

Any guesses as to value? No exhaust, induction or engine tin.
BK911
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 9 2014, 12:37 PM) *

Start with P337 B

Front Trunk Pan

$200...not bad.

Thanks Chris. $200 aint bad. But the work kinda sucks!
Already have a car on the lift and one on the rotisserie.
This one will stay as is until I get to her.
As others have said, drive the pee out of her!

Again, thanks for all the opinions.
Talked me down off the ledge!
gandalf_025
The real value of the engine would be finding the owner of the car it came out of. IF it still exists. Otherwise, prices are over the place.. Why are you wasting your time posting here. Go to the Early S Registry and put it there. They will know what the value is.
worn
QUOTE(BK911 @ Sep 9 2014, 04:13 AM) *

Please help!!

headbang.gif

Well, I know you are disappointed, but it could also have run over rocks and dented from underneath. If it runs, then cover up the trunk and drive the heck out of it! It sounds like a fun car. If you have given up the engine, well then that isn't such an option, and I would say too bad. Hope you had some fun for awhile.
GeorgeRud
If it tracks and handles well, put an engine in and drive/enjoy it! That's the beauty of conversions - they don't have to be factory correct concours trailer queens. Replacing front pans is not that uncommon a procedure, just be sure to take photos and document things for the future caretakers.
carr914
QUOTE(BK911 @ Sep 9 2014, 02:18 PM) *

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Sep 9 2014, 01:18 PM) *

Just saying...

I cant speak for everyone, but I am getting that the engine is a real 70 S engine because the car is in my shed and I verified the serial number on the case. 630xxxx. A real beyotch to see, but a flashlight and mirror did the trick.

Any guesses as to value? No exhaust, induction or engine tin.

You've got me confused about the S Engine! Is it an S Engine or just a T with S P&Cs? If it is a Real S, it is worth something special, but a Buyer will want the MFI.

So what Induction do you have? What is your 2.4?

I'm also confused why you bought the car if you are yanking it apart. Was part of it to "Flip" the Engine?
BK911
Not sure about the confusion. 630xxxx is 70s. Not a t with s pistons. No mfi but webers. If somebody wants the mfi they will have to source elsewhere.

I have several 911 engines. Some with and without mfi.

I bought a car "that needs nothing" and got a car that needs welding. Have enough projects already so panicked and tried to break even and get out. S engine is biggest bang for the buck so that would be first to go.

carr914
OK, that helps. The S without the MFI is probably worth the $10k depending on Condition. The Cams may not like Carbs unless they are jetted right.

Instead of a Panic, I would have re-sold the car without lifting a finger. If the person who wants the Engine bad enough tell him to buy the car from you for $16 & then it becomes his dilemma.

As far as "needs nothing", I don't think there many cars anywhere of any make that don't need something from their new owner. I think that it looks like a good Mid-Teens $ Conversion and that it sat unsold for quite a while til it came down $5k
Chris H.
There's a tub in the classifieds with a good front clip for $200 now....FYI...
Alapone
ive been casually looking for a 6 conv for some time. From what I have seen even w issues you should be able to get out at 14k w very little problem. part it out to try to make a few bucks but why? someone already did the heavy lifting. ENJOY IT!
horizontally-opposed
I looked at this car several times while it was for sale, and this looked and looks like a nice car in the grand scheme of things—especially for $14k plus shipping. I suspect you could easily be made whole on BaT tomorrow if you just can't get past the deal. Personally, I think you made out well given where things are headed for all things early Mezger. This is a guilt-free driver, too.

I'd keep the car, think about selling the 2.2S to the interested party, use the proceeds to buy the engine of my choice (2.7 RS w/carbs? 3.2 w/EFI?), and enjoy. That pan would bug me, too, so I would eventually deal with it. But maybe it's just a good excuse to put in a great cooler setup for a 3.2. So long as it isn't rusty or truly bent, you got a lot of 914 for $16k...and I love the color combo.

pete
boxstr
Go out and drive the car. It looks great. I love the color combo. If you don't go look at the car in person, and you are not happy with what you purchased, then suck it up and stop bitching. Fix the trunk floor if you don't like it. Sell parts from the car and pocket the cash and feel good.
Craig at CAMP
BK911
So the general consensus is quit my bitching and drive the car.
So I think I should quit bitching and drive the car!!
Decided not to sell the engine yet, and turned down a couple of $10k offers.
I will leisurely build up a 2.4E in my spare time, and when that is complete I will swap the engines and put the S up for sale.
Unless somebody makes me an offer I cant refuse. biggrin.gif
Until then, VROOM VROOM!!

Thanks again for smacking some sense into me.
poorsche914
QUOTE(BK911 @ Sep 10 2014, 12:53 PM) *
So the general consensus is quit my bitching and drive the car.
So I think I should quit bitching and drive the car!!
Until then, VROOM VROOM!!

Drive it over to Townsend and join the 40+ other 914s at Okteenerfest poke.gif

driving.gif
BK911
I would love too but have a 2 week old baby girl. Hardly getting any sleep or garage time, and no way I would take this car anywhere until I can go through it.
BK911
So I made up my mind, at least for now:

Click to view attachment

Should be picked up during Octeenerfest.

Have a couple of spare 2.2T engines.
Will build one with 2.4 crank/rods and E cams.
That produces a 2.4E with 2.4S compression, very nice street engine.
Racing seats, harnesses, and that's about it for now.
Start AXing and DEing, again.
billh1963
QUOTE(BK911 @ Sep 24 2014, 03:39 PM) *

So I made up my mind, at least for now:

Click to view attachment

Should be picked up during Octeenerfest.

Have a couple of spare 2.2T engines.
Will build one with 2.4 crank/rods and E cams.
That produces a 2.4E with 2.4S compression, very nice street engine.
Racing seats, harnesses, and that's about it for now.
Start AXing and DEing, again.

You sold the engine?
DRPHIL914
So you are selling the motor?
BK911
Yup. Got several inquiries from people with a 70s but other engine. They need it more than I do. Never really liked the S engine especially the 2.2. Plus I can use the cash!
billh1963
QUOTE(BK911 @ Sep 24 2014, 04:52 PM) *

Yup. Got several inquiries from people with a 70s but other engine. They need it more than I do. Never really liked the S engine especially the 2.2. Plus I can use the cash!

Good move...I know the feeling! beer.gif
carr914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 24 2014, 05:00 PM) *

QUOTE(BK911 @ Sep 24 2014, 04:52 PM) *

Good move...I know the feeling! beer.gif

It's always a good feeling when you have a Buyer with $$$. Different deal when I tried to sell my 60's Sand Cast Aluminum Motor that was built up - couldn't find any lookers, but maybe I modified it to far for their Tastes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.