Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> This is why it feels like i have no Sway Bar, Utab Sheered off and took droplink with.
John
post Jan 26 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #21

member? what's a member?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

Those U-tabs tend to rip off with some regularity on our track car. I think it may be a sign that the sway bar is set too stiff.

Sometimes the ear will tear in half, and other times the whole thing has ripped off the top of the a-arm. The last time this happened, I reinforced the u-tabs enough that they probably won't tear off again. However, the next weaker link was the sheet metal where the bar goes through in the fenderwell. I had one of those rip loose. So I reinforced that area.

I don't know that the round tube portion of the a-arm is strong enough to be effective as a mount location of the sway bar. My gut feeling is that the round tube will bend.

This winter I went with large torsion bars in hopes that I can soften the front bar to the point that I'm no longer over stressing the sway bar mount locations.

I never lost a droplink from tearing a u-tab from an a-arm. I use shake proof nuts on all that stuff and everything just hangs on for the ride once broke free.

My car really handles like crap without the bar working. (so it's easy to tell when it happens)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jan 26 2005, 11:34 PM
Post #22

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE (skline @ Jan 26 2005, 09:52 PM)
Well, it makes me wonder how you lost the drop link? If it was all bolted in good and tight, the link may break off the bottom but should stay on the bar itself. You must not have had it as tight as it should have been.

both had lock nuts on them.... what ever btroke the tab exposed the link to be able to fly around..... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

thanks for the tip pops/......
+Quote Post
Stutgart46
post Jan 27 2005, 08:42 AM
Post #23

Stutgart46

Member No.: 1,365

My did the same thing. Weltmeister. I wasn't sure if it was installed incorrectly or what but it snapped after the first DE. Luckily I had an extra drop link and switched it out. I didn't have another problem with it.
+Quote Post
Flat VW
post Jan 27 2005, 08:52 AM
Post #24

Illegal Soapbox Derby Racecar

Member No.: 3,105

un-welded, a term I am not familiar with......

I thought one "un-welded with one of these (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 01:29 AM