Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 911 Rear Suspension, on a 914??
mohnliting
post Jan 26 2005, 07:38 PM
Post #1

INWIA

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,388

O.K. - Maybe this is a dumb question, but can a 911 rear suspension be bolted into a 914 as easily as the front suspension. I have a guy who is giving me a 911 front suspension and he can get me a 911 rear suspension, too, if I can use it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jan 26 2005, 07:49 PM
Post #2

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Dumb answer ----- NOPE

The setup is entirely different.
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Jan 26 2005, 08:19 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

If it is an early 911 you can use the hubs for a 5-lug. All you then need is the 914/6 stub axles and you are all set. Mittlemotor sells stub axles on ebay all the time. This is how I did my 5-lug conversion for the back.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jan 26 2005, 08:33 PM
Post #4

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE (jim912928 @ Jan 26 2005, 07:19 PM)
If it is an early 911 you can use the hubs for a 5-lug. All you then need is the 914/6 stub axles and you are all set. Mittlemotor sells stub axles on ebay all the time. This is how I did my 5-lug conversion for the back.

that is the expensive way of doing 5 lug.
(miitlemotor stub's 220, 911 hubs, 50 ish)
cheaper
Early 914 hubs with 5 lug bosses - 125 ish
or
Late 914 hubs sent to eric shea 125 (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 26 2005, 08:38 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

it's been done before on a V8 converted car.....a new subframe was bolted to the vehicle....not sure if it would work with an aircooled engine or not due to the width of the motor (a V8 is much narrower on the bottom end)
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Jan 26 2005, 08:42 PM
Post #6

Aaron...I got my 911 hubs for free...and used 914/6 stub axles for 150 bucks. Not much cheaper then that.
+Quote Post
pete-stevers
post Jan 26 2005, 08:53 PM
Post #7

saved from fire!

Member No.: 2,914
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Velious did a rear brake possibly bearing conversion... tried to do it myself, but ran into trouble now I have 911 vented rotors and early 911 hubs but the trouble is the 911 ebrake cables run from the center of the car, the 914 cables are different lengths... the real question is how would you fab the 911 trailing arms in, and other than braking which can be adapted. why go to the expense of altering and welding an already great setup? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
steve
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 26 2005, 08:58 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

go to the expense of altering and welding an already great setup?

the rear trailing arm design of the 914 is marginal at best...it gets the job done, but it could have been made better...it still can be improved, but it takes too much money/fabrication to be worth while unless you do it just for the love of it (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Jan 26 2005, 08:59 PM
Post #9

Pete...i've also got 911 vented rotors. I kept the 914 rear brakes and put a spacer in the calipers halves..then spaced the caliper on the mounts. Works perfect and you can maintain all the original parking brake stuff.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jan 26 2005, 10:30 PM
Post #10

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219

QUOTE (jim912928 @ Jan 26 2005, 07:59 PM)
Pete...i've also got 911 vented rotors. I kept the 914 rear brakes and put a spacer in the calipers halves..then spaced the caliper on the mounts. Works perfect and you can maintain all the original parking brake stuff.

eric shea has done the 911 ebrake drum setup on a few trailing arms. custom cables are needed.

jim, good score at 150 bucks (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
skline
post Jan 26 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #11

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17

Renegade used to have a car on their wall of shame that someone had put 911 trailing arms on. So I guess it can be done. I dont know why you would though. They were pulling it out to do it right.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 26 2005, 10:56 PM
Post #12

914 Freak!

QUOTE (skline @ Jan 26 2005, 09:48 PM)
Renegade used to have a car on their wall of shame that someone had put 911 trailing arms on. So I guess it can be done. I dont know why you would though. They were pulling it out to do it right.

The one I've seen pictures of looks like it was done correctly...it's one a converted car that looks to be put together the right way.....

This is the car, it belongs to a Jay Darden

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jan 27 2005, 12:31 AM
Post #13

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 26 2005, 07:58 PM)

the rear trailing arm design of the 914 is marginal at best...it gets the job done, but it could have been made better...it still can be improved, but it takes too much money/fabrication to be worth while unless you do it just for the love of it (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif)

I've heard statements like this before, and I'm wondering what's wrong with it. The only thing I can think of that's "bad" about the 914 trailing arm setup is the toe changes as the suspension travels up and down. Is that the general problem with it? I don't know what effect that has on handling. It seems like that could be fixed by modifying the trailing arms and mounting points, but maybe that would introduce more problems?
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jan 27 2005, 12:34 AM
Post #14

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (skline @ Jan 26 2005, 09:48 PM)

Renegade wall of shame car
+Quote Post
airsix
post Jan 27 2005, 01:31 AM
Post #15

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 26 2005, 10:31 PM)
I've heard statements like this before, and I'm wondering what's wrong with it. The only thing I can think of that's "bad" about the 914 trailing arm setup is the toe changes as the suspension travels up and down.

It's heavy.
It's not rigid AT ALL.
The geometry is not the best.

I want a 993 or 928 rear suspension in my 914. If I keep it long enough I'll end up doing something crazy like that. (Don't anybody say "You'll have to cut the trunk." I DON'T CARE. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) )

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jan 27 2005, 02:52 AM
Post #16

neo life

Member No.: 159

Someone in the area is planning to install A-arms so he can fit wide wheels inboard without flares. I've seen this done once but still with flares.

Jason is fitting the complete rear Boxster suspension since the trailing arms interferes with the width of the engine...

I wish someone would design a bolt in improved design!
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jan 27 2005, 11:40 AM
Post #17

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I'm sure it's been done (from the sound of things here) but I really don't know how it could be done. The 911 being rear engine has three issues that would seem to be impossible with the 914:

1. The torsion tube and the torsion bars themselves. The torsion tube mounts against the body and the arms swing up and down on either side of the transmission. "If" a 911 torsion tube were to be mounted in a 914 it would literally have to be in the middle of the engine. One could do away with the torsion tube and bars by using a coil over set-up (like the factory did with the 914 suspension) but you would have the next problem to deal with.

2. The mounting location. 911 arms mount near the center of the torsion bar tube. Again, this would be smack dab in the middle of a 914 engine due to it's mid-engine configuration.

3. Travel. I don't know how they would allow for control arm travel without cutting the body.

Maybe they're sort enough to allow mounting near the stock location. I'd love to see pictures of this.
+Quote Post
Rider914
post Jan 27 2005, 05:08 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 1,923

The one I've seen pictures of looks like it was done correctly...it's one a converted car that looks to be put together the right way.....

Hey, thats me! (note to self, close door all the way when taking pictures)

I need to put the camera I got for christmas to use and get some pictures up. . . The control arms are rotated forward much more than they are on a 911. I wish someone around here has a teener that we could compare the ride to. . . I would like to know if it is worth it.

--- Jay
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jan 27 2005, 05:14 PM
Post #19

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

Torsion bar suspensions often have 'upgrades' to coil-overs. Changing the 914 rear suspension to 911 style woule be a change from coil-overs to torsion bar. Seems like a backward conversion to me.

Demick
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 27 2005, 05:18 PM
Post #20

914 Freak!

QUOTE (Rider914 @ Jan 27 2005, 04:08 PM)

Hey, thats me! (note to self, close door all the way when taking pictures)

I need to put the camera I got for christmas to use and get some pictures up. . . The control arms are rotated forward much more than they are on a 911. I wish someone around here has a teener that we could compare the ride to. . . I would like to know if it is worth it.

--- Jay

Hey Jay !!!!

I was trying to find you on the yahoo porschev site, but no luck since I didn't know your username (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 07:56 AM