Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Rear Suspension
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mohnliting
O.K. - Maybe this is a dumb question, but can a 911 rear suspension be bolted into a 914 as easily as the front suspension. I have a guy who is giving me a 911 front suspension and he can get me a 911 rear suspension, too, if I can use it.
SLITS
Dumb answer ----- NOPE

The setup is entirely different.
jim912928
If it is an early 911 you can use the hubs for a 5-lug. All you then need is the 914/6 stub axles and you are all set. Mittlemotor sells stub axles on ebay all the time. This is how I did my 5-lug conversion for the back.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jim912928 @ Jan 26 2005, 07:19 PM)
If it is an early 911 you can use the hubs for a 5-lug. All you then need is the 914/6 stub axles and you are all set. Mittlemotor sells stub axles on ebay all the time. This is how I did my 5-lug conversion for the back.

that is the expensive way of doing 5 lug.
(miitlemotor stub's 220, 911 hubs, 50 ish)
cheaper
Early 914 hubs with 5 lug bosses - 125 ish
or
Late 914 hubs sent to eric shea 125 IPB Image
Mueller
it's been done before on a V8 converted car.....a new subframe was bolted to the vehicle....not sure if it would work with an aircooled engine or not due to the width of the motor (a V8 is much narrower on the bottom end)
jim912928
Aaron...I got my 911 hubs for free...and used 914/6 stub axles for 150 bucks. Not much cheaper then that.
pete-stevers
Velious did a rear brake possibly bearing conversion... tried to do it myself, but ran into trouble now I have 911 vented rotors and early 911 hubs but the trouble is the 911 ebrake cables run from the center of the car, the 914 cables are different lengths... the real question is how would you fab the 911 trailing arms in, and other than braking which can be adapted. why go to the expense of altering and welding an already great setup? IPB Image
steve
Mueller
go to the expense of altering and welding an already great setup?

the rear trailing arm design of the 914 is marginal at best...it gets the job done, but it could have been made better...it still can be improved, but it takes too much money/fabrication to be worth while unless you do it just for the love of it IPB Image
IPB Image
jim912928
Pete...i've also got 911 vented rotors. I kept the 914 rear brakes and put a spacer in the calipers halves..then spaced the caliper on the mounts. Works perfect and you can maintain all the original parking brake stuff.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jim912928 @ Jan 26 2005, 07:59 PM)
Pete...i've also got 911 vented rotors. I kept the 914 rear brakes and put a spacer in the calipers halves..then spaced the caliper on the mounts. Works perfect and you can maintain all the original parking brake stuff.

eric shea has done the 911 ebrake drum setup on a few trailing arms. custom cables are needed.

jim, good score at 150 bucks IPB Image
skline
Renegade used to have a car on their wall of shame that someone had put 911 trailing arms on. So I guess it can be done. I dont know why you would though. They were pulling it out to do it right.
Mueller
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 26 2005, 09:48 PM)
Renegade used to have a car on their wall of shame that someone had put 911 trailing arms on. So I guess it can be done. I dont know why you would though. They were pulling it out to do it right.

The one I've seen pictures of looks like it was done correctly...it's one a converted car that looks to be put together the right way.....

This is the car, it belongs to a Jay Darden
bondo
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 26 2005, 07:58 PM)

the rear trailing arm design of the 914 is marginal at best...it gets the job done, but it could have been made better...it still can be improved, but it takes too much money/fabrication to be worth while unless you do it just for the love of it IPB Image
IPB Image

I've heard statements like this before, and I'm wondering what's wrong with it. The only thing I can think of that's "bad" about the 914 trailing arm setup is the toe changes as the suspension travels up and down. Is that the general problem with it? I don't know what effect that has on handling. It seems like that could be fixed by modifying the trailing arms and mounting points, but maybe that would introduce more problems?
bondo
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 26 2005, 09:48 PM)

Renegade wall of shame car
airsix
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 26 2005, 10:31 PM)
I've heard statements like this before, and I'm wondering what's wrong with it. The only thing I can think of that's "bad" about the 914 trailing arm setup is the toe changes as the suspension travels up and down.

It's heavy.
It's not rigid AT ALL.
The geometry is not the best.

I want a 993 or 928 rear suspension in my 914. If I keep it long enough I'll end up doing something crazy like that. (Don't anybody say "You'll have to cut the trunk." I DON'T CARE. IPB Image )

-Ben M.
neo914-6
Someone in the area is planning to install A-arms so he can fit wide wheels inboard without flares. I've seen this done once but still with flares.

Jason is fitting the complete rear Boxster suspension since the trailing arms interferes with the width of the engine...

I wish someone would design a bolt in improved design!
Eric_Shea
I'm sure it's been done (from the sound of things here) but I really don't know how it could be done. The 911 being rear engine has three issues that would seem to be impossible with the 914:

1. The torsion tube and the torsion bars themselves. The torsion tube mounts against the body and the arms swing up and down on either side of the transmission. "If" a 911 torsion tube were to be mounted in a 914 it would literally have to be in the middle of the engine. One could do away with the torsion tube and bars by using a coil over set-up (like the factory did with the 914 suspension) but you would have the next problem to deal with.

2. The mounting location. 911 arms mount near the center of the torsion bar tube. Again, this would be smack dab in the middle of a 914 engine due to it's mid-engine configuration.

3. Travel. I don't know how they would allow for control arm travel without cutting the body.

Maybe they're sort enough to allow mounting near the stock location. I'd love to see pictures of this.
Rider914
The one I've seen pictures of looks like it was done correctly...it's one a converted car that looks to be put together the right way.....

Hey, thats me! (note to self, close door all the way when taking pictures)

I need to put the camera I got for christmas to use and get some pictures up. . . The control arms are rotated forward much more than they are on a 911. I wish someone around here has a teener that we could compare the ride to. . . I would like to know if it is worth it.

--- Jay
Demick
Torsion bar suspensions often have 'upgrades' to coil-overs. Changing the 914 rear suspension to 911 style woule be a change from coil-overs to torsion bar. Seems like a backward conversion to me.

Demick
Mueller
QUOTE (Rider914 @ Jan 27 2005, 04:08 PM)

Hey, thats me! (note to self, close door all the way when taking pictures)

I need to put the camera I got for christmas to use and get some pictures up. . . The control arms are rotated forward much more than they are on a 911. I wish someone around here has a teener that we could compare the ride to. . . I would like to know if it is worth it.

--- Jay

Hey Jay !!!!

I was trying to find you on the yahoo porschev site, but no luck since I didn't know your username IPB Image
Rider914
Mike - how is the porchev site working out? I don't get over there due to just too many sites and too little time. . .
Rider914
asdf
Rider914
asdf
SirAndy
that looks way too low for my liking ...

why would one do this ????
IPB Image Andy
Mueller
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 27 2005, 08:32 PM)
that looks way too low for my liking ...

IPB Image Andy

why ask why??

'cause they can...that is why..... IPB Image

I see nothing wrong it, it's no lower than half the parts on a stock car that's been lowered....it obviously works since the car has seen some time on the track.......

it's no different than you putting the 3.2 manifold on a /4 IPB Image
drew365
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 27 2005, 07:32 PM)

IPB Image Andy

That's what I was wondering, is there a benefit? How do you adjust for negative camber?
Mueller
QUOTE (drew365 @ Jan 27 2005, 08:36 PM)
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 27 2005, 07:32 PM)

IPB Image  Andy

That's what I was wondering, is there a benefit? How do you adjust for negative camber?

it does have the spring plate on it....not sure what kind of adjustments that has???

it will have lower unsprung weight than the stock 914 trailing arm....

if you modifed the trunk wall, one could mount even wider tires under a stock fender....
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 27 2005, 07:41 PM)
it does have the spring plate on it....not sure what kind of adjustments that has???

if i was ever going to modify the complete rear suspension on my car, i'd rather do something like this:
SirAndy
better pic ...
r_towle
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 27 2005, 07:49 PM)
better pic ...

that is sweet. I love the adjustable heim joints for toe in.
Is that trailing arm made for sale???

Rich
neo914-6
"Modify"? That's a whole new car/chassis with a few 914 panels screwed on! IPB Image
Aaron Cox
boxter monoblocs in the rear?
Eric_Shea
I see a 914 engine lid on that thing! IPB Image
Rider914
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jan 27 2005, 09:31 PM)
I see a 914 engine lid on that thing! IPB Image

914 rape I say. . . IPB Image

IPB Image

I want a ride!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.