Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's this teener worth?, Newbie seeks advice
scotty b
post Jan 27 2005, 10:30 AM
Post #21

rust free you say ?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

QUOTE (vortrex @ Jan 27 2005, 08:24 AM)
as it is now it's like putting different wheels on the F and R. makes no sense.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) that's funny, I was just looking at a red car in P.A. on e-bay that has different front and rear wheels! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ppickerell
post Jan 27 2005, 10:52 AM
Post #22

914 addicted

Member No.: 1,246

Why would it still have the original seals if the motor has been rebuilt?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 27 2005, 12:04 PM
Post #23

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (ppickerell @ Jan 27 2005, 08:52 AM)
Why would it still have the original seals if the motor has been rebuilt?

because the owner doesn't know anything about 914s. just look at the language he used in the original ad ...

i agree with most of what was said here, the front bumper is suspicious, the dash cover is hiding a ugly dash, the tailshifter is less desireable, the engine used to be a 1.7 ...

all of that plus a owner that obviously doesn't know much about 914s (which also means he doesn't even know where to look for rust),
i think you should be really careful spending too much money on this car.

if you can't go there in person, have someone else who does know 914s do a PPI for you.
from the few pics i have seen, i'd say no more than $4k, and that only if it really doesn't have any major rust.

for $7k, you should be able to get a nice, original, well cared for car ...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
wrpspddrvr
post Jan 27 2005, 12:30 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 3,317

Wow. Thanks a ton, guys! Those're exactly the kinds of responses I was hoping to get!
I'd already asked about the transmission, it's still stock. That kinda set off my "Yikes" alarm. Why would he not have touched the transmission (done a side-shifter swap like y'all said, at the least) when he rebuilt the engine?
I think I'll keep looking. Only one person seemed to think the $6500 he's asking for it is worth it.

Soon I hope to be able to actually contribute advice/knowledge to this board, rather than just take it.

Thanks again all,
Cole (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/monkeydance.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 27 2005, 12:44 PM
Post #25

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

anyone remember the red 914 damaged by the hurricanes last year in FL?
I think the guy was trying to sell it on eBay...this looks like the car, but I cannot find the post to make a positive connection...if it is, it's worth about $500
+Quote Post
wrpspddrvr
post Jan 27 2005, 12:51 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 3,317

This was on eBay about a month ago or so. I don't know if it's the same. No mention of it...

Cole
+Quote Post
post Jan 27 2005, 01:33 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 988

I had the same thought about the fl-flood car....makes ya nervous... for a 1.7 with carbs, and no rust, and very solid mechanically (if it has not rust and is solid mechanically) the tops I see out here for asking prices is around 4k..
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jan 27 2005, 02:04 PM
Post #28

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

If its the flood car run away as fast as possible. Also, 7k should get you an absolutely perfect 73/74 2.0, so the most I would offer for that car would be 2500, maybe 3000 if it is really really nice and actually has a 2L. You really need to have a PPI to tell.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jan 27 2005, 03:40 PM
Post #29

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

I think you guys are nuts!

The days of 3500-4000 very good cars are gone. You can still buy cars in that range, but they aren't "Very Good." I don't know what condition this car truly is, but if it's as represented I'd pay $6-7 for it. Granted, the dash cap is scary. I wouldn't get too hung up on the 73/74 2.0 thing either. Bluecar is a 74 2.0 that is in great shape, whitey is a 72 that had a 2.0 stuffed in it. I actually prefer just about everything on whitey vs. bluecar (before the -6 conversion process).

If it's solid, got decent to good paint, runs well, interior is nice, all systems work well and isn't that flood car (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) it would be worth decent money, not TONS of money, but decent money. Hell, I think that original car in the classifieds that was $10k was a good car at just about the right price.

Maybe it was moving out of the sunbelt back to the midwest, but buying a good car for under $5k seems like a pipe dream.
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post Jan 27 2005, 05:00 PM
Post #30

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

I totally agree with seanery, I'd buy all the "very nice" cars I could find in the $4000-5000 range. I think that price range gets you a good driver, well maintained, presents well.

A decent paint job alone will set you back around $2500 or better.

Rather than throw wild ass guesses all over the place the car needs to be inspected, and then a solid number can be determined.

If it's a totally cherry chassis, then I'd say $6500 would be a great buy, because there are shinny rust buckets running around everywhere, but a perfect chassis is almost non-existant.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jan 27 2005, 05:05 PM
Post #31

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

QUOTE (vortrex @ Jan 27 2005, 11:47 AM)
in my opinion the car has all the makings of being not so great.

color change to bright red (usually a good sign to run).
empi wheels
mismatched bumpers (never have seen this before)
weird red cloth interior
carbs

etc etc etc..

there are much better cars that you could, and should get, with your $7000 spending allowance.

Nice voice, Reason!

M
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jan 27 2005, 07:05 PM
Post #32

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE (wrpspddrvr Posted on Jan 27 2005 @ 11:30 AM)
Wow. Thanks a ton, guys! Those're exactly the kinds of responses I was hoping to get!
I'd already asked about the transmission, it's still stock. That kinda set off my "Yikes" alarm. Why would he not have touched the transmission (done a side-shifter swap like y'all said, at the least) when he rebuilt the engine?

Do you have any idea what you're talking about? I owned a 72 1.7 bought essentially from the original owner with 166k miles on it. One respray in the original color. Stock original tail shifter transaxle. One of the best shifting 914's I've ever driven. It cost $3500 at the time and was well worth it. With values climbing as they have since then, it would be at least a $6k car today.

As for this car, get an inspection before you disqualify it as a potential purchase. There is probably a 914club member close by. What do you have to lose? If it's as the seller descibed, it's worth as least $5k. If you like the looks of the mods it could be a very good 914 for you as you said originally.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 27 2005, 07:11 PM
Post #33

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) Thanks Gint,Thats what I said this morning. Get it checked out before you write it off based on a couple of photos and ALOT of speculation! There are several members down that way that would probably be willing to help you out.OR I will if you'll provide air fare!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
DJsRepS
post Jan 28 2005, 05:07 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 3,060

Im verry happy with my $400 1972 1.7L OEM FI. And thank's to this Fine 914 Forum it idle's low no hunting run's out fine, shifts fine and it is a tailshifter. All in all the car is a real Blast from the Past!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 12:44 AM