Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gauges gone haywire!
BfloRandy
post Sep 20 2014, 12:48 PM
Post #1

Dimwit Extraordinaire

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,927
Region Association: North East States

Hello everyone, I have enjoyed reading many of your posts this summer. I finally got myself stuck, so here is my issue, hope someone can help!

I have a 75 2.0L. I'm getting the "G" light (alternator?) on and the gas gauge and tach are going screwy. Sometimes, they work normally, and the light is off, others, the gauges fall to zero and the light is on, others still, the light will be on but dim and the gauges sorta work, for example I know I'm over 3k RPM, but the tach is showing 1400. When I even touch the brakes, the G light comes on and the gauges die, returning sometimes when I let off the pedal. From what I have been able to find, this sounds to me like an intermittent ground perhaps. I have also seen that it could be an issue with either the voltage regulator or the alternator itself. This issue just came out of nowhere today, it has not been a gradual onset thing. Am I correct in assuming that it has to be a sudden catastrophic failure in the reg or alt or even something as simple as a ground wire just popped loose? The car runs just fine. The speedometer works normally.

Any help or ideas would be immensely appreciated!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
HarveyH
post Sep 20 2014, 12:56 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 843

Try this thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...481&hl=fuse

Harvey
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Sep 20 2014, 01:16 PM
Post #3

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Check your fuses. Take them out and clean(or replace) fuses and sockets.
+Quote Post
BfloRandy
post Sep 20 2014, 01:42 PM
Post #4

Dimwit Extraordinaire

Member No.: 17,927
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(HarveyH @ Sep 20 2014, 02:56 PM) *

Thanks, Harvey!

That thread definitely helped!
The master ground next to the fuse box was fine, I did pull it off, scrape it off a bit and replace it anyway while I was there. The number 8 fuse appears to be the culprit. The turn signal indicator light (and the blinker itself) doesn't like to go on properly, and that seemed to be the cause of the trouble when I tried it. It blew the 16A fuse, but not a 25A. The blinkers work fine for left turns, but not right. Is there a contact issue? I've recently done work on the horn and lock cylinder, so...
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Sep 20 2014, 05:38 PM
Post #5

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Did you disturb the switch plate or wires in the column? Sounds like you might have pinched a wire. Don't tighten those 4 screws too tight. Just snug enough to not back out
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 07:34 AM