Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauges gone haywire!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BfloRandy
Hello everyone, I have enjoyed reading many of your posts this summer. I finally got myself stuck, so here is my issue, hope someone can help!

I have a 75 2.0L. I'm getting the "G" light (alternator?) on and the gas gauge and tach are going screwy. Sometimes, they work normally, and the light is off, others, the gauges fall to zero and the light is on, others still, the light will be on but dim and the gauges sorta work, for example I know I'm over 3k RPM, but the tach is showing 1400. When I even touch the brakes, the G light comes on and the gauges die, returning sometimes when I let off the pedal. From what I have been able to find, this sounds to me like an intermittent ground perhaps. I have also seen that it could be an issue with either the voltage regulator or the alternator itself. This issue just came out of nowhere today, it has not been a gradual onset thing. Am I correct in assuming that it has to be a sudden catastrophic failure in the reg or alt or even something as simple as a ground wire just popped loose? The car runs just fine. The speedometer works normally.

Any help or ideas would be immensely appreciated!
HarveyH
Try this thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...481&hl=fuse

Harvey
TheCabinetmaker
Check your fuses. Take them out and clean(or replace) fuses and sockets.
BfloRandy
QUOTE(HarveyH @ Sep 20 2014, 02:56 PM) *

Thanks, Harvey!

That thread definitely helped!
The master ground next to the fuse box was fine, I did pull it off, scrape it off a bit and replace it anyway while I was there. The number 8 fuse appears to be the culprit. The turn signal indicator light (and the blinker itself) doesn't like to go on properly, and that seemed to be the cause of the trouble when I tried it. It blew the 16A fuse, but not a 25A. The blinkers work fine for left turns, but not right. Is there a contact issue? I've recently done work on the horn and lock cylinder, so...
TheCabinetmaker
Did you disturb the switch plate or wires in the column? Sounds like you might have pinched a wire. Don't tighten those 4 screws too tight. Just snug enough to not back out
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.