Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine's Out - Now What? Please Help a Noob, Engine Leaks
ljubodraz
post Sep 24 2014, 04:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,312
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hello All,
Bought my '75 1.8 dual carb 914 a few months ago and have been loving it. First time poster but long time reader here. She ran fine until the impeller hub spun free of the crank and began to overheat. Based on oil temp gauge, it didn't get into the red zone. Anyhow, I've dropped the engine to repair the impeller hub and am now faced with what else to repair while it's out. Bottom of engine and trans were wet from oil leaks. Not a highly uncommon problem I'm sure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

What has me most concerned is the leaks at the cylinder/case interface of all four cylinders. I was hoping the oil was being blown back from oil pressure sender but no luck as all four cylinders are same and sender connection is dry. Never got around to performing compression test but engine pulled strongly.
Attached Image

The second major issue of concern is that the Melling oil pump might be leaking. I can't tell for sure but would hate to repair after putting engine back.
Attached Image

My questions regarding cylinder leaks:
Should I/can I bother to re-torque the head bolts? I'm hoping that the leaks were exacerbated by the crank vent being partially blocked. How concerned should I be? I'm not ready for a rebuild.

My questions regarding oil pump:
What should I try to do? Replace gaskets? Replace pump altogether? I get intimidated by oil pump posts regarding getting the right clearances, difficulty in pulling pump out, etc.

Many thanks in advance for your help as I am getting stressed over this.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lsintampa
post Sep 24 2014, 07:05 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,441
Region Association: South East States

if you're not ready for a rebuild, clean it up, adjust valves, put it back, drive it, let it leak .... all it will hurt is the ground where you park it
+Quote Post
stugray
post Sep 24 2014, 07:17 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

And I am not convinced that oil buildup is really a leak around the cylinder bases.
What does the oil cooler look like?

Dont worry about it, clean it well. Might as well replace that front oil seal while its right there.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Sep 24 2014, 07:23 AM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Fuel lines, injectors, oil cooler seals, anything else that jumps out at you. I'm running a 2056 with 2500 miles that leaks (synthetic) oil. Be careful with the wiring!
+Quote Post
ljubodraz
post Sep 24 2014, 07:56 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 17,312
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Thank you very much for the responses so far. I'm grateful.

What about re-torque of head bolts?
What about oil pump?

It is possible that oil on cylinders came down from oil fill/breather with PO but the tins above cylinders have what appears to be oil blown up from cylinder base too.

Oil cooler was dry but will replace seals.
Already planning on replacing:
Both seals at impeller hub
Push rod tube seals.
Maybe oil filter flange gasket.
+Quote Post
lsintampa
post Sep 24 2014, 08:51 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 15,441
Region Association: South East States

Push rod seal replacement is fairly significant... you will need to remove the push rod assembly from the heads -

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...tube-seals.html
+Quote Post
stugray
post Sep 24 2014, 10:43 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

It is possible that oil on cylinders came down from oil fill/breather with PO but the tins above cylinders have what appears to be oil blown up from cylinder base too.

Remember that this engine is pulling air in from the engine bay and blowing it downward across the cylinders.
So I suspect that the oil you see is crankcase venting "smoke" that is blown down through the cylinders and leaves that "sludge" on top of the cylinders.
Notice how it is concentrated on the "leading edge" of the restriction as the air is forced to turn the corner and go down through the colling fins?

I suspect that you have some on the oil cooler too.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 11:37 AM