Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pedrini wheel cleanup Questions, Strange Holes?
bandjoey
post Sep 25 2014, 10:40 AM
Post #1

bandjoey

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Have my whees back from the machine shop. They cut the centers to fit hub centric hubs. Here a few questions about the clean up before refinishing them.

All around the inside if the wheel are pairs of holes spaced about 4" apart. I'll probably fill them with JB Weld. Do you think they're from manufacture or prior repairs?

And. After an hour is scrubbing with several wheel cleaners and scratch pads (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) the inside is still covered in years of soaked in grime. Short of sandblasting would it be ok to hit them with a brass soft wire wheel or the likes? What else works to get the grime off?

And OK to file down and fill in the gouges with JB?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
messix
post Sep 25 2014, 06:24 PM
Post #2

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

try engine degreaser in a spray can.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Sep 25 2014, 08:50 PM
Post #3

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Will do. Already used Purple and Green cleaners, aluminum wheel cleaner, brake dust remover and sandpaper. I'm down to the smooth surface but this stuff is down in the pores.

Any thoughts on jb weld in the gouges? Will it stay in or be thrown out?
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Sep 25 2014, 10:13 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

The marks are from a tire changer. Some of the "Touchless" tire changers use an internal rim clamp that expands inside the barrel of the wheel.
So the tire is removed without touching the face or out lip of the wheel but the clamp bites into the inside of the wheel.

Most of the rim clamp tire changer will also clamp the wheel by grabbing the inner lip between the wheel and tire but it requires the tech to apply a bit more force to hold the wheel down in place while clamping it. Might be too much work for some of them.

Jim
+Quote Post
914bub
post Sep 25 2014, 10:25 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 16,260
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

That's what I was thinking too. I own a tire machine, that if the "tines" were sharp enough, would do the same thing. Mine is "touchless" and thats all that should be used these days. I own several ATS classic wheels that were broken, (centers), on a "traditional" tire machine,(like a Coats 40/40)....., by people who didn't know what they were doing.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 12:38 AM