Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pedrini wheel cleanup Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
Have my whees back from the machine shop. They cut the centers to fit hub centric hubs. Here a few questions about the clean up before refinishing them.

All around the inside if the wheel are pairs of holes spaced about 4" apart. I'll probably fill them with JB Weld. Do you think they're from manufacture or prior repairs?

And. After an hour is scrubbing with several wheel cleaners and scratch pads confused24.gif the inside is still covered in years of soaked in grime. Short of sandblasting would it be ok to hit them with a brass soft wire wheel or the likes? What else works to get the grime off?

And OK to file down and fill in the gouges with JB?
messix
try engine degreaser in a spray can.
bandjoey
Will do. Already used Purple and Green cleaners, aluminum wheel cleaner, brake dust remover and sandpaper. I'm down to the smooth surface but this stuff is down in the pores.

Any thoughts on jb weld in the gouges? Will it stay in or be thrown out?
jcd914
The marks are from a tire changer. Some of the "Touchless" tire changers use an internal rim clamp that expands inside the barrel of the wheel.
So the tire is removed without touching the face or out lip of the wheel but the clamp bites into the inside of the wheel.

Most of the rim clamp tire changer will also clamp the wheel by grabbing the inner lip between the wheel and tire but it requires the tech to apply a bit more force to hold the wheel down in place while clamping it. Might be too much work for some of them.

Jim
914bub
agree.gif

That's what I was thinking too. I own a tire machine, that if the "tines" were sharp enough, would do the same thing. Mine is "touchless" and thats all that should be used these days. I own several ATS classic wheels that were broken, (centers), on a "traditional" tire machine,(like a Coats 40/40)....., by people who didn't know what they were doing.
mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.