Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Guy That Cleaned Out a Friend's Shed...
classicfan1
post Sep 27 2014, 10:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,957
Region Association: None

Hello everyone,

My name is Steve, I'm 21 yrs old, and I am from Tipp City, Ohio. I cleaned out a friend's shed a couple months ago and he told me about some Porsche 914 parts in his shed.

I buy and sell classic car parts as kind of a hobby now but from 2009 - 2013 it was how I paid my way through high school and college. The picker bug never truly goes away! I love the satisfaction of seeing that look on a buyer's face when they find that part they have searched the country to find or when I'm sent pictures of the customer's ride after it's restored.

Naturally, I had to make him an offer on that small honey hole of parts (we both have been "picking" for years, before "picking" became a household name) He knew my intentions.

Anyway, I've had these parts on Craigslist but have decided to move them to eBay. I have a computer ECU from this 914 but I have no idea what year it is. Is there a way to tell? How do I open it up (IF I need to)?

Also, what is the proper term for the small pieces of metal that go under the headlights? I have a really nice pair of them but I don't know what they're called.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jwc914
post Sep 27 2014, 10:23 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,447

QUOTE(classicfan1 @ Sep 27 2014, 09:20 PM) *

Hello everyone,

My name is Steve, I'm 21 yrs old, and I am from Tipp City, Ohio. I cleaned out a friend's shed a couple months ago and he told me about some Porsche 914 parts in his shed.

I buy and sell classic car parts as kind of a hobby now but from 2009 - 2013 it was how I paid my way through high school and college. The picker bug never truly goes away! I love the satisfaction of seeing that look on a buyer's face when they find that part they have searched the country to find or when I'm sent pictures of the customer's ride after it's restored.

Naturally, I had to make him an offer on that small honey hole of parts (we both have been "picking" for years, before "picking" became a household name) He knew my intentions.

Anyway, I've had these parts on Craigslist but have decided to move them to eBay. I have a computer ECU from this 914 but I have no idea what year it is. Is there a way to tell? How do I open it up (IF I need to)?

Also, what is the proper term for the small pieces of metal that go under the headlights? I have a really nice pair of them but I don't know what they're called.

+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Sep 28 2014, 05:20 AM
Post #3

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Ok, I'll bite. Why do we quote an entire post with no response?
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Sep 28 2014, 05:24 AM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

A Haynes book or the various auto parts suppliers should help you with labeling and identifying parts. GLWTS
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Sep 28 2014, 05:31 AM
Post #5

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

there should be a number on the ECU, either a Bosch number on a stick on tag or ?4

If you are talking about the metal strips that go in front of the headlights, they're called "eyebrows".
+Quote Post
classicfan1
post Sep 28 2014, 05:00 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 28 2014, 03:31 AM) *

there should be a number on the ECU, either a Bosch number on a stick on tag or ?4

If you are talking about the metal strips that go in front of the headlights, they're called "eyebrows".

Thank you for the help! There is a Bosch sticker on the ECU, the numbers are very faint. There are two numbers, the first one is "0?? 906 021 AX" the second set below that is 0 2?? 000 052 REV. The numbers represented by "?" are the ones I can't read.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Sep 28 2014, 05:05 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

maybe you should post a few pictures of the parts you are questioning. I can't completely follow your description.
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Sep 28 2014, 06:25 PM
Post #8

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

There is a VW part # stamped on the ECU. The letter at the end is very important. LOTS of info about this and other fuel injection parts on Brad Anders' Rennlist page. Search the web for "Brad Anders 914 2.0 Parts Description" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
krazykonrad
post Sep 28 2014, 07:53 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 5,610

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Thanks for posting about the parts.

Konrad
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 28 2014, 10:20 PM
Post #10

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(classicfan1 @ Sep 28 2014, 04:00 PM) *

Thank you for the help! There is a Bosch sticker on the ECU, the numbers are very faint. There are two numbers, the first one is "0?? 906 021 AX" the second set below that is 0 2?? 000 052 REV. The numbers represented by "?" are the ones I can't read.

According to Brad Anders' D-jet page the ECU is likely a 75-76 2.0 one. The second number you quote is the Bosch part number; the fuel injection part numbers start with "0 280" so "80" are the missing numbers.

The "REV" probably means that it was rebuilt or revised somehow.

The first of your numbers is the VW part number. The two missing digits are either "22" or "39"--likely "39" if that really is a 75-76 ECU.

--DD
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 29 2014, 06:26 AM
Post #11

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Its about $20 worth of parts
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
classicfan1
post Oct 1 2014, 04:53 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 28 2014, 03:05 PM) *

maybe you should post a few pictures of the parts you are questioning. I can't completely follow your description.

I'll try to do that here in the next few days.
+Quote Post
classicfan1
post Oct 1 2014, 04:54 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Sep 28 2014, 04:25 PM) *

There is a VW part # stamped on the ECU. The letter at the end is very important. LOTS of info about this and other fuel injection parts on Brad Anders' Rennlist page. Search the web for "Brad Anders 914 2.0 Parts Description" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Interesting! I'll look that up, thanks!
+Quote Post
classicfan1
post Oct 1 2014, 04:57 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 28 2014, 08:20 PM) *

QUOTE(classicfan1 @ Sep 28 2014, 04:00 PM) *

According to Brad Anders' D-jet page the ECU is likely a 75-76 2.0 one. The second number you quote is the Bosch part number; the fuel injection part numbers start with "0 280" so "80" are the missing numbers.

The "REV" probably means that it was rebuilt or revised somehow.

The first of your numbers is the VW part number. The two missing digits are either "22" or "39"--likely "39" if that really is a 75-76 ECU.

--DD

Yea, that's what I'm thinking. "REV" probably means it was reconditioned once or updated somehow. These older ECU's are very primitive compared to the ones we use today! I wish I could say if the missing numbers are a "22" or "39" but the sticker got scrunched up a long time ago and those numbers are gone. Would there be a date inside this thing or should I even open it?
+Quote Post
classicfan1
post Oct 1 2014, 04:57 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 29 2014, 04:26 AM) *

Its about $20 worth of parts

I've got much more than I've posted here, LOL!
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Oct 1 2014, 11:04 AM
Post #16

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

If the ECU was rebuilt by Bosch, the number would start CU??X.

REV would more be an engineering revision.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 06:10 PM