Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Guy That Cleaned Out a Friend's Shed...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
classicfan1
Hello everyone,

My name is Steve, I'm 21 yrs old, and I am from Tipp City, Ohio. I cleaned out a friend's shed a couple months ago and he told me about some Porsche 914 parts in his shed.

I buy and sell classic car parts as kind of a hobby now but from 2009 - 2013 it was how I paid my way through high school and college. The picker bug never truly goes away! I love the satisfaction of seeing that look on a buyer's face when they find that part they have searched the country to find or when I'm sent pictures of the customer's ride after it's restored.

Naturally, I had to make him an offer on that small honey hole of parts (we both have been "picking" for years, before "picking" became a household name) He knew my intentions.

Anyway, I've had these parts on Craigslist but have decided to move them to eBay. I have a computer ECU from this 914 but I have no idea what year it is. Is there a way to tell? How do I open it up (IF I need to)?

Also, what is the proper term for the small pieces of metal that go under the headlights? I have a really nice pair of them but I don't know what they're called.
jwc914
QUOTE(classicfan1 @ Sep 27 2014, 09:20 PM) *

Hello everyone,

My name is Steve, I'm 21 yrs old, and I am from Tipp City, Ohio. I cleaned out a friend's shed a couple months ago and he told me about some Porsche 914 parts in his shed.

I buy and sell classic car parts as kind of a hobby now but from 2009 - 2013 it was how I paid my way through high school and college. The picker bug never truly goes away! I love the satisfaction of seeing that look on a buyer's face when they find that part they have searched the country to find or when I'm sent pictures of the customer's ride after it's restored.

Naturally, I had to make him an offer on that small honey hole of parts (we both have been "picking" for years, before "picking" became a household name) He knew my intentions.

Anyway, I've had these parts on Craigslist but have decided to move them to eBay. I have a computer ECU from this 914 but I have no idea what year it is. Is there a way to tell? How do I open it up (IF I need to)?

Also, what is the proper term for the small pieces of metal that go under the headlights? I have a really nice pair of them but I don't know what they're called.

TheCabinetmaker
Ok, I'll bite. Why do we quote an entire post with no response?
EdwardBlume
A Haynes book or the various auto parts suppliers should help you with labeling and identifying parts. GLWTS
SLITS
there should be a number on the ECU, either a Bosch number on a stick on tag or ?4

If you are talking about the metal strips that go in front of the headlights, they're called "eyebrows".
classicfan1
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 28 2014, 03:31 AM) *

there should be a number on the ECU, either a Bosch number on a stick on tag or ?4

If you are talking about the metal strips that go in front of the headlights, they're called "eyebrows".

Thank you for the help! There is a Bosch sticker on the ECU, the numbers are very faint. There are two numbers, the first one is "0?? 906 021 AX" the second set below that is 0 2?? 000 052 REV. The numbers represented by "?" are the ones I can't read.
malcolm2
maybe you should post a few pictures of the parts you are questioning. I can't completely follow your description.
Chris Pincetich
There is a VW part # stamped on the ECU. The letter at the end is very important. LOTS of info about this and other fuel injection parts on Brad Anders' Rennlist page. Search the web for "Brad Anders 914 2.0 Parts Description" beerchug.gif
krazykonrad
welcome.png

Thanks for posting about the parts.

Konrad
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(classicfan1 @ Sep 28 2014, 04:00 PM) *

Thank you for the help! There is a Bosch sticker on the ECU, the numbers are very faint. There are two numbers, the first one is "0?? 906 021 AX" the second set below that is 0 2?? 000 052 REV. The numbers represented by "?" are the ones I can't read.

According to Brad Anders' D-jet page the ECU is likely a 75-76 2.0 one. The second number you quote is the Bosch part number; the fuel injection part numbers start with "0 280" so "80" are the missing numbers.

The "REV" probably means that it was rebuilt or revised somehow.

The first of your numbers is the VW part number. The two missing digits are either "22" or "39"--likely "39" if that really is a 75-76 ECU.

--DD
mepstein
Its about $20 worth of parts
classicfan1
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 28 2014, 03:05 PM) *

maybe you should post a few pictures of the parts you are questioning. I can't completely follow your description.

I'll try to do that here in the next few days.
classicfan1
QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Sep 28 2014, 04:25 PM) *

There is a VW part # stamped on the ECU. The letter at the end is very important. LOTS of info about this and other fuel injection parts on Brad Anders' Rennlist page. Search the web for "Brad Anders 914 2.0 Parts Description" beerchug.gif

Interesting! I'll look that up, thanks!
classicfan1
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 28 2014, 08:20 PM) *

QUOTE(classicfan1 @ Sep 28 2014, 04:00 PM) *

According to Brad Anders' D-jet page the ECU is likely a 75-76 2.0 one. The second number you quote is the Bosch part number; the fuel injection part numbers start with "0 280" so "80" are the missing numbers.

The "REV" probably means that it was rebuilt or revised somehow.

The first of your numbers is the VW part number. The two missing digits are either "22" or "39"--likely "39" if that really is a 75-76 ECU.

--DD

Yea, that's what I'm thinking. "REV" probably means it was reconditioned once or updated somehow. These older ECU's are very primitive compared to the ones we use today! I wish I could say if the missing numbers are a "22" or "39" but the sticker got scrunched up a long time ago and those numbers are gone. Would there be a date inside this thing or should I even open it?
classicfan1
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 29 2014, 04:26 AM) *

Its about $20 worth of parts

I've got much more than I've posted here, LOL!
SLITS
If the ECU was rebuilt by Bosch, the number would start CU??X.

REV would more be an engineering revision.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.