Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear air, Anyone run a diffuser?
worn
post Oct 6 2014, 08:55 PM
Post #1

can't remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Looking at the muffler I have to admit there is a challenge here, but it would be nice to pull air out from beneath the car and to generate downforce without resorting to an actual spoiler. I don't see them,so am wondering if it is a cSe of beating your head against the wall. I followed after a nice example on a 944 last weekend. Engine is in the front and I don't know if it helps. Not interested in posing, I want to suck air and shoot it upwards.
Pointers would be welcome.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Oct 7 2014, 01:18 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

If you want true down force at the rear, you need a wing. A spoiler decays lift and doesn't necessarily provide down force. It's been my experience that the 914 (at least mine) at speed needs more down force in the front. Diffusers I know absolutely nothing about. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
maf914
post Oct 7 2014, 06:02 AM
Post #3

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

There is an article in the October 2014 issue of Excellence magazine with a nice orange 1977 air cooled 911 set up for track days. It has a full rear under floor with diffuser. It looks good, but the article doesn't really go into detail about the performance of the diffuser or cooling issues with the engine.

I remember reading that the Porsche factory and Porsche customer teams had to make compromises with the 956/962 cars under floors and diffusers. Completely enclosed for max down force during qualifying or open louvers to allow airflow for engine cooling during the race. The air cooled engine configuration, as well as the flat six arrangement, was a liability. With water cooled engines the heat could be managed in other ways without compromising the diffuser and under floor.
+Quote Post
worn
post Oct 7 2014, 08:10 AM
Post #4

can't remember

QUOTE(maf914 @ Oct 7 2014, 04:02 AM) *

There is an article in the October 2014 issue of Excellence magazine with a nice orange 1977 air cooled 911 set up for track days. It has a full rear under floor with diffuser. It looks good, but the article doesn't really go into detail about the performance of the diffuser or cooling issues with the engine.

I remember reading that the Porsche factory and Porsche customer teams had to make compromises with the 956/962 cars under floors and diffusers. Completely enclosed for max down force during qualifying or open louvers to allow airflow for engine cooling during the race. The air cooled engine configuration, as well as the flat six arrangement, was a liability. With water cooled engines the heat could be managed in other ways without compromising the diffuser and under floor.

Yeah, that was sort of my thinking, the air has to flow from top down in the engine and that is that. So I am guessing a good front air dam would be more effective overall. Except I keep hitting them on driveways and practically anything around me.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Oct 7 2014, 09:53 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 7 2014, 01:18 AM) *

If you want true down force at the rear, you need a wing. A spoiler decays lift and doesn't necessarily provide down force. It's been my experience that the 914 (at least mine) at speed needs more down force in the front. Diffusers I know absolutely nothing about. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I also had someone on this site claim that our cars get light in the rear over 100 mph. Mine hasn't been over 20 (until it's built) so I have no idea... any experience with this? How about ways to increase downforce in front without creating too much drag?
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Oct 7 2014, 11:07 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,985

I put a diffuser on the back of my 914 racecar. It required a large amount of work to fit, including custom headers and exhaust, redirecting exhausted cooling air from the cylinders/heads out the side of the car instead of out the bottom (which is now covered by flat bottom and the diffuser), redirecting the shift linkage, lowering the car to a silly low ride height to take advantage of underbody aero, etc., etc.

It was fun engineering it. I still need to put some data acquisition on the car to illustrate what if any benefit I'm actually getting out of all this.

Scott
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Oct 7 2014, 12:07 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 7 2014, 08:53 AM) *

I also had someone on this site claim that our cars get light in the rear over 100 mph. Mine hasn't been over 20 (until it's built) so I have no idea... any experience with this? How about ways to increase downforce in front without creating too much drag?

I have absolutely no experience as a race car driver so I have very little time above 100mph. I just remember the Yellow Zonker at 125 seemed to me to be very loose in the front. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) The looseness of the front end seemed to be inversely proportional to the tightness of my sphincter. I was gripping the seat cushion so tight it kind of made the five point harness redundant. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Oct 7 2014, 12:26 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

I think Dana did one.
If memory serves, a front air dam and rear spoiler are the way to go. For the rear, you are simply pushing the cortex further back so the rear doesn't lift.
My wife maxed out my old 2.0 and had no issues with stability over the century mark.
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Oct 7 2014, 12:27 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

I think max speed is what, 130 in stock config?
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Oct 7 2014, 12:44 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

How about a rear underspoiler, kinda like the 944 Turbo? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) And a splitter for the front to keep that end stable...
+Quote Post
whatabout1
post Oct 7 2014, 12:49 PM
Post #11

Toys in Red

Member No.: 5,676

I remember a story of a Porsche team that tried reversing the cooling fan to create down force.

Must not have worked....
+Quote Post
worn
post Oct 7 2014, 01:11 PM
Post #12

can't remember

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 7 2014, 10:07 AM) *

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 7 2014, 08:53 AM) *

I have absolutely no experience as a race car driver so I have very little time above 100mph. I just remember the Yellow Zonker at 125 seemed to me to be very loose in the front. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) The looseness of the front end seemed to be inversely proportional to the tightness of my sphincter. I was gripping the seat cushion so tight it kind of made the five point harness redundant. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Well that is the kind of detailed technical data I was...well, ...Thanks Elliot!
+Quote Post
worn
post Oct 7 2014, 01:13 PM
Post #13

can't remember

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 7 2014, 10:44 AM) *

How about a rear underspoiler, kinda like the 944 Turbo? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) And a splitter for the front to keep that end stable...

That was the example that had me started. Thanks.
+Quote Post
worn
post Oct 7 2014, 01:14 PM
Post #14

can't remember

QUOTE(whatabout1 @ Oct 7 2014, 10:49 AM) *

I remember a story of a Porsche team that tried reversing the cooling fan to create down force.

Must not have worked....

Hmmm. At some point on this board there was talk of 917 fans shooting into the sky due to hub failure. So I am thinking those at least were (when working) thrusting air down.
+Quote Post
veekry9
post Oct 7 2014, 01:24 PM
Post #15

OldMember

Member No.: 16,025
Region Association: Canada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y0SMqACTyM

In a 914 the greatest drag is the house.

Attached Image

After this and improving induced drag,an attempt at evacuating the high pressure beneath the car is proven to be effective.

Attached Image

An observation of the most recent LMP cars will show the methods without the fans.

Attached Image

A incredibly effective method,channeling the air to the low pressure area.
+Quote Post
damesandhotrods
post Oct 7 2014, 01:41 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 12,218
Region Association: Northern California

If you want downforce I’d say buy a wing and either book some wind tunnel time or buy some data acquisition equipment. Because there will be some tuning involved. Considering all of the science involved in making ground effects actually work I have a feeling any diffuser and skirts you add will only be cosmetic.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Oct 7 2014, 02:04 PM
Post #17

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

all this should help you
http://www.cassidy-online.com/porsche914/aerodynamic_aids/

anklebiters diffuser;

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
veekry9
post Oct 7 2014, 02:47 PM
Post #18

OldMember

Member No.: 16,025
Region Association: Canada

http://www.962and904.com/

Attached Image

Or build a replica to get that downforce feeling.
The idea of a car with low drag and sufficient downforce at public road speed is good one.
Gravity will provide the downforce and a teardrop shape will reduce drag.
Study aerodynamics.

+Quote Post
worn
post Oct 7 2014, 04:37 PM
Post #19

can't remember

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 7 2014, 12:04 PM) *

all this should help you

anklebiters diffuser;

I read that page many times. What I do not get though is why the big axx spoiler produces less downforce than stock. Willing to believe but surprised.
+Quote Post
damesandhotrods
post Oct 7 2014, 05:03 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 12,218
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(worn @ Oct 7 2014, 03:37 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 7 2014, 12:04 PM) *

all this should help you

anklebiters diffuser;

I read that page many times. What I do not get though is why the big axx spoiler produces less downforce than stock. Willing to believe but surprised.

It is very simple. The wing is in dirty airflow, and the angle of attack is probably less than optimal. A wing needs to be set up and tuned. And you can’t just stick it anywhere. Learn from teenage tuner crowd…
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 12:54 AM