Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tangerine oil pressure valve, am I missing something? new on won't go in all the way
ChrisFoley
post Oct 15 2014, 02:43 PM
Post #21

I am Tangerine Racing

Group: Members
Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 15 2014, 02:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 14 2014, 03:13 PM) *

Linky no worky. The link is a shortened one from some BBS that does the shortening automagically. To get the actual link, right-click and choose "copy link location".

--DD

Click on this:
headflowmasters.com/vw-oil-pressure-valve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
majkos
post Oct 26 2014, 12:41 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 1,729
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

latest test,

Attached Image

an hr run time,
1200RPM
+Quote Post
majkos
post Oct 26 2014, 12:42 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 1,729
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

exhuast stuff is NOT hooked up yet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Oct 22 2018, 03:23 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Old Post but figured I would add since I installed last week.

To remove the big screw I took a wide impact screwdriver bit in my smaller milwuakee m12 impact wrench. Tap, tap ... came right out versus fighting with a screwdriver.

I wanted to replace crush ring on big screw. Thus kit from Amazon has a great assortment. I like the bonded washers, they also have regular aluminum.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014S1J4TE

There is a note in the instructions about cold oil creating too much pressure with this valve and to let oil warm up before exceeding 4k rpm. How big a concern is this especially with heavier weight oil like Brad Penn. Does warm-up mean run for a minute or does it mean wait until full operating temps?

+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Oct 23 2018, 05:33 AM
Post #25

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Oct 22 2018, 05:23 PM) *

I wanted to replace crush ring on big screw. Thus kit from Amazon has a great assortment. I like the bonded washers, they also have regular aluminum.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014S1J4TE

Washer thickness is important, A much thicker washer may compromise the top seal on the pressure relief valve. A much thinner washer will not seal at the bottom.

There is a note in the instructions about cold oil creating too much pressure with this valve and to let oil warm up before exceeding 4k rpm. How big a concern is this especially with heavier weight oil like Brad Penn. Does warm-up mean run for a minute or does it mean wait until full operating temps?

Regardless of which pressure relief is installed this applies. Somewhere between seems to make the most sense to me.
When it's cold out an 80psi gauge will be pegged on startup. I like to see the idle pressure start to drop before driving.
In my race car I would not use full throttle or high rpm until the oil temp exceeds 120F.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Nov 2 2018, 08:21 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thanks Chris.

So, in general, should these sort of pressure boost assemblies be used mostly for racing or in vehicles with known low oil pressure issues? Mine is a relatively low miles 2.0 that runs really well. While I am trying to do good things for my engine, do the risks outweigh the potential benefit? I do not always have time for a 10 minute warm up and getting to 4k rpm comes pretty quickly in a 914 I know low pressure is bad, can high pressure also harm engine?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 10:00 AM