Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbie here - 1976 914, New owner of a 76' 914
BobR
post Oct 16 2014, 08:09 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,601
Region Association: None

This is a link to the first thing you will need for your car, Mom's service covers.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t=0#entry578430
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Oct 16 2014, 08:26 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

emocleW
+Quote Post
Easyb
post Oct 19 2014, 01:47 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 18,016

I plan on going through most of the car and prepare a list of what needs to be repaired.
What i've found so far:
- Alternator seems defective.
Current one was diagnosed dead (car died several times on the way from seller, drained batteries, performed test from Autozone type of store).
- A rubbing noise can be heard when the wheels are turning but a visual inspection to each wheel hasn't revealed anything - nothing seems to touch). The sound is metallic as if the brake shield was touching another part of the wheel.

- Electrical needs to be evaluated. Turn signals and rear lights not working.
- When driving the car, in 4th/5th gear, engine seems to sometimes "skip a bit" it acts as if it were going to stall but doesn't stall.

Still going through the car.

Any preferred recommendations on where to order parts from besides eBay, Pelican? Any other areas I should inspect and focus on?

Your thoughts????
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Oct 19 2014, 06:00 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Easyb @ Oct 19 2014, 03:47 PM) *

I plan on going through most of the car and prepare a list of what needs to be repaired.
What i've found so far:
- Alternator seems defective.
Current one was diagnosed dead (car died several times on the way from seller, drained batteries, performed test from Autozone type of store).
- A rubbing noise can be heard when the wheels are turning but a visual inspection to each wheel hasn't revealed anything - nothing seems to touch). The sound is metallic as if the brake shield was touching another part of the wheel.

- Electrical needs to be evaluated. Turn signals and rear lights not working.
- When driving the car, in 4th/5th gear, engine seems to sometimes "skip a bit" it acts as if it were going to stall but doesn't stall.

Still going through the car.

Any preferred recommendations on where to order parts from besides eBay, Pelican? Any other areas I should inspect and focus on?

Your thoughts????

Look at Auto Atlanta site, they have very helpful exploded parts diagrams for most everything. Click on one of the images and a P/L appears keyed to the item numbers in the diagrams. They tend to be pricey however.
For any rubber weatherstripping, 914 Rubber is where to go.
Barefoot

+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 19 2014, 07:53 PM
Post #25

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Just a thought on the alternator. Do you have alt light with the ignition on. The alternator circuit depends on that circuit to supply power to the field on the alternator. Before you pull it. Make sure you have the light, or that there is not a LED installed.
Always nice if it's an easy fix. You will find grounding is an issue on this car. Many problems can be attributed to grounding. So before you dig too far in check the easy stuff. Sometimes you get lucky.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 19 2014, 08:11 PM
Post #26

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Full on brake job if the car has been sitting. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Easyb
post Oct 19 2014, 09:03 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 19 2014, 08:53 PM) *

Just a thought on the alternator. Do you have alt light with the ignition on. The alternator circuit depends on that circuit to supply power to the field on the alternator. Before you pull it. Make sure you have the light, or that there is not a LED installed.
Always nice if it's an easy fix. You will find grounding is an issue on this car. Many problems can be attributed to grounding. So before you dig too far in check the easy stuff. Sometimes you get lucky.

Can you clarify? If the Alternator light is ON, is it bad or good?

WHen I drove the car back, it was night time and all the lights on the gauge were very dim, barely readable unless I use an external light source.

When I used the headlights, the battery was drained in a matter of minutes and the car will die at a STOP or Traffic light. I had to jump it 6 times to make it home.

For grounding, should I just go around and check to see if every part that has a ground wire is grounded? I've checked it on the battery side already.
+Quote Post
Easyb
post Oct 19 2014, 09:05 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 19 2014, 09:11 PM) *

Full on brake job if the car has been sitting. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Brakes is definitely on my list. The pedal is a bit loose.

Is upgrading brakes on this car mandatory? If yes, what should I consider. The purpose will be DD and may be a couple of AutoX here and there but mostly DD.
+Quote Post
Porky
post Oct 21 2014, 09:44 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 18,043
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Easyb @ Oct 19 2014, 03:47 PM) *

noob '76 owner here as well, but i might know the answer to that one. for me it was a seized rear caliper with the outer pad worn completely away, so the metal where the brake pad used to be was just constatly rubbing up against the rusty ol' rotor.
+Quote Post
Beeliner
post Oct 21 2014, 05:05 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 17,725
Region Association: North East States

I was resigned to buying an alternator when my mechanic cleaned up the ground connection.

Bingo, problem solved....
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 21 2014, 06:11 PM
Post #31

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I think mark wants to know if the light is on when the key is turned. Prior to the cranking position.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Oct 21 2014, 07:46 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

I struggled a bit with the ALT. I ended up getting mine rebuilt. The ALT for the type 4 engine has various special nooks and crannies that the NAPA version does not have. I am sure someone sells the right model, but rebuild for me was pretty cheap and is working great.

My guy was local to me, so I bet you can find someone in Houston. I don't think there is anything special to rebuild them, just have to ask around.
+Quote Post
Easyb
post Oct 22 2014, 09:36 PM
Post #33

Thanks a lot for all the replies.

The alternator light doesn't come on when the key is turned on or at any other times. Other lights come on as expected.
This weekend, I'll attempt to clean the ground wire, check other connections, and then if needed, remove the alternator.
+Quote Post
mdelwiche
post Oct 22 2014, 10:59 PM
Post #34

Vegas_914

Member No.: 14,266
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Welcome from another '76 owner. Just wrapping a two year rebuild of my car. The people here are great and helped me along the way with advice and sourcing parts!!!
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 23 2014, 07:48 AM
Post #35

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

QUOTE(Easyb @ Oct 19 2014, 08:05 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 19 2014, 09:11 PM) *

Brakes is definitely on my list. The pedal is a bit loose.

Is upgrading brakes on this car mandatory? If yes, what should I consider. The purpose will be DD and may be a couple of AutoX here and there but mostly DD.

Have them rebuilt by Eric Shea at PMB and install Porterfield pads and you'll have plenty of braking power for a stock car.
+Quote Post
Easyb
post Nov 18 2014, 12:01 AM
Post #36

Quick update: alternator problem solved, had to rebuild the alternator and replace the alternator bulb in the dash. Now working fine.

Now working on brakes, starting with the rear calipers. Pads are worn out and a caliber piston is stuck and won't press back. This grounded the rotor in the rear.
Trying to decide between rebuilding it myself using the DIY caliper rebuild kits or sending it to a place like PMB.

Ideas?
+Quote Post
mdelwiche
post Nov 18 2014, 12:13 AM
Post #37

Vegas_914

Member No.: 14,266
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Easyb @ Nov 17 2014, 10:01 PM) *

Quick update: alternator problem solved, had to rebuild the alternator and replace the alternator bulb in the dash. Now working fine.

Now working on brakes, starting with the rear calipers. Pads are worn out and a caliber piston is stuck and won't press back. This grounded the rotor in the rear.
Trying to decide between rebuilding it myself using the DIY caliper rebuild kits or sending it to a place like PMB.

Ideas?

I rebuilt both my front and rear with kits from PMB. I definitely appreciated the experience, but I ran into a few issues with the pistions and inner mechanisms that when it was all said in done, I really didn't save any money from doing it myself. If I were to do it again, I'd just send them to PMB.
+Quote Post
Easyb
post Nov 20 2014, 09:13 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(mdelwiche @ Nov 18 2014, 12:13 AM) *

Ideas?

I rebuilt both my front and rear with kits from PMB. I definitely appreciated the experience, but I ran into a few issues with the pistions and inner mechanisms that when it was all said in done, I really didn't save any money from doing it myself. If I were to do it again, I'd just send them to PMB.

Yes, I considered sending the calipers to PMB but I'm trying to DIY.
What were the complications you experienced with the pistons?
Any lessons learned to be shared?

+Quote Post
hndyhrr
post Nov 20 2014, 09:43 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 16,332

QUOTE(Easyb @ Nov 20 2014, 07:13 PM) *

QUOTE(mdelwiche @ Nov 18 2014, 12:13 AM) *

Ideas?

Yes, I considered sending the calipers to PMB but I'm trying to DIY.
What were the complications you experienced with the pistons?
Any lessons learned to be shared?

I saved some money doing the rebuild(backs) myself. pmb video is the bomb, my problem was the gear to sent vent clearance was trashed, ordered new gear and all is well. I had to replace my disc on back brakes so this weekend bleeding the brakes and if no rain burning in pads to disc.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:58 PM