Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Will This Work?, V8 Conversion - Different Rad Placement
riverman
post Jan 29 2005, 01:39 PM
Post #21

Learn As I Go

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,466

I am seriously contemplating a V8 conversion for my project and I am in the bodywork phase right now, so I figure if I'm going to put a rad in the car I might as well do it now. However, I am also concerned about loosing too much trunk space and/or the spare tire. I'd like to use the car as 'week-ender' to drive up and back to the cottage, perferably with a passenger, so some luggage space would be nice.

I was reading a post by Special K about V8 Radiator Venting and Tom73 mentioned an idea that no one responded to about tilting the rad back and venting with the help of some duct work through the floor. He thought it might still save enough room in the front for the spare (therefore leaving the rear trunk available for luggage).

To take this idea one step further, why not lie the rad on the floor (horizontally), or with a slight tilt, and duct the air to it. The rad would lie directly on top of the vent hole and would be very easy to vent. It appears like you could do this in the space previously occupied by the spare tire and the upper portion of the front trunk could then hold the spare (plus overflow container and some hoses).

I'm no engineer or aerodynamicist, so I need someone to explain the pitfalls to me. Are there coolant flow problems associated with a non-vertical rad? Is there a problem ducting air to a rad vs. ducting it away? Anything I'm not considering?

Feedback would be nice, but I don't want to hear, "Just do it the old way because it is easier." I would like some thoughtful critisism or ideas (or actual knowledge) on this subject. "There are no problems, just solutions."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
riverman   Will This Work?   Jan 29 2005, 01:39 PM
Mueller   it's been done before and it does work, howeve...   Jan 29 2005, 02:56 PM
914GT   There's only one way to find out and that...   Jan 29 2005, 02:59 PM
dmenche914   i recall a guy I believe named Peter Hahn that liv...   Jan 29 2005, 03:16 PM
scott thacher   have you thought about mounting the radiator in th...   Jan 29 2005, 03:17 PM
ajracer   Doug: It's Allan here and just reviewing your...   Feb 24 2005, 11:05 AM
boxstr   What about mounting in hte rear quarters? Add soem...   Feb 24 2005, 11:24 AM
Dave_Darling     Feb 24 2005, 04:29 PM
914GT   ...   Feb 24 2005, 07:33 PM
lapuwali  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 03:52 PM