Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Type 4 Store 2270, Type 4 Store 2270
r_towle
post Oct 19 2014, 07:37 AM
Post #21

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(lexatola @ Oct 18 2014, 07:00 PM) *

Thanks again for the continued activity. I like torque but I also like high revving HP. I have an Emory 356 that puts out about 120hp at the wheels and weighs in at about 1600lbs. I want this project have greater weight to power than the 356. My thinking is that I need to get to around 160hp at the wheels.

I'm just trying to land on a known and successful build spec - thus far its hard to get this info with any level of detail. It seems like this 2270 with headers, better heads and a hotter cam should do it. I'm just trying to find out the details of what others have used successfully.

Best,

Alex

Ask the Emory team, they know.
Also talk with FAT performance, and Jake Raby for a motor ready to bolt in.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 19 2014, 09:51 AM
Post #22

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(rmdinmd @ Oct 19 2014, 08:38 AM) *

I have been thinking about adding an oil cooler and using that as a heat exchanger (another member suggested that as an option).

Again this has been done/tried and it isn't very effective as a heater. It's not like a water cooled heat system. The oil cooler doesn't put out large BTU's and when cold it is bypassed till the engine is at temp, then the cooler becomes too efficient and the engine isn't reaching correct operating temps.

Heating has always been the Achilles heel of the aircooled engine, anything you you can think of has been tried before, do a search. Heat exchangers and fuel fired heaters have been the only effective solutions to date.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Oct 19 2014, 06:53 PM
Post #23

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 19 2014, 10:51 AM) *

Heat exchangers and fuel fired heaters have been the only effective solutions to date.

I've had a note on my whiteboard for more than a year now.
It says "DS Heat Exchanger".
A customer built his own driver side heater box on one of my headers and then sent me his patterns.
I had planned to modify them for easier production but haven't found time to do the development yet.

Another customer sent me his oil cooler heat exchanger design but I never pursued that idea.
+Quote Post
type47
post Oct 20 2014, 07:34 AM
Post #24

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(lexatola @ Oct 18 2014, 08:34 AM) *

Seems like if you take a 2.0 add headers, twin carbs and a hotter cam, use 96mm pistons and cylinders that this would get things up to ...

+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 20 2014, 08:24 AM
Post #25

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 18 2014, 07:23 PM) *

QUOTE(lexatola @ Oct 18 2014, 06:00 PM) *

Thanks again for the continued activity. I like torque but I also like high revving HP. I have an Emory 356 that puts out about 120hp at the wheels and weighs in at about 1600lbs. I want this project have greater weight to power than the 356. My thinking is that I need to get to around 160hp at the wheels.

Go WRX or Porsche 6 then IMO.

At that point you have reached the end of what a T4 can do as a street motor with much in the way of reliability.

For that kind of power, assuming you want it drive able in places other then race tracks, the 4 is going to be spendy.

WRX engines are cheap, get you 225 - 270+ HP at the crank (depending on engine type and build), and enough people have done the swap now that its not re-creating the wheel to do it.

Porsche 6 will be ++ spendy since you will want a 3.0 to get your target and still be drive able. All the parts are out there, and folks have been doing this since the 914 came about.

What ever conversion you do, don't plan on getting the money out of it that you put in.

Zach

He's pretty much exzachry right. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) I would go Suby 4 cyl 2.5 NA @165 ft lb's torque or Suby 6 cyl EZ30 series. The Turbo is a kick in the pants but a lot of extra plumbing/tuning issues. Plus the 6 is sweet music to the ears! If you stay 4 cyl the suspension can remain as it is. You'd need to beef it up a bit with a 6. But once your water cooled you have an unlimited source of heat and electrical. My 6 came with a 175amp Alt. Electric seats are the best $45 I've spent thus far but I'm not sure if the stock type 4 alt will handle those if your running lights are on?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 20 2014, 08:47 AM
Post #26

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(lexatola @ Oct 17 2014, 10:08 PM) *

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on the 2270 engine kit from the Type 4 store. I'm curious if anyone knows what the difference between the kit and the Raby 2270 SR. I see they each have different HP specs. Do we think this is an actual difference or just a difference in written spec? Same cam? Same Heads? Curious if this kit can make better HP than 140? Headers? Other tested and ordained cam?

I'd appreciate any input based on experience,

Best,

Alex

When I sold the Type 4 Store to LN I also sold them all the engine kit combinations and I reconfigured them to be easier to assemble and tune. This was done to aid Charles and the team in regard to supporting the kits.

None of the kits that are sold are configured the same as my turn key engines. I use different combinations and I custom build each engine. The 2270 SR is just a base combination, when I consult with a buyer I will generally alter the combination to better fit their operating environment, and application, as well as the cooling system being used, type of fuel thats available int he area and about 15 other variables that is found on my order spreadsheet, all of which can change cam, head and other sub- system requirements.

LN has done very well continuing what I started with the Type 4 Store, and taking it to the next level, that I had no desire to do. Getting rid of the burden of the store has freed up all my resources to be used for R&D and engine building, which is where my passions always have been. I took the area where the store used to be and added 4 more engine assembly stations and another clean room, which has helped us reduce delivery times from one year, down to around 5-6 months for turn key engines.

Now, I have fun again, without any retail purchasers.

I have an Emory 356 that puts out about 120hp at the wheels and weighs in at about 1600lbs.

Here's my Raby Typ456 Outlaw, built from a 64C. It makes 185 at the wheels and isn't conventional. Weighs around 1520 with lexan windows and most other lightweight goodies. It was a SCCA/VSCCA race car for 40 years and its just as light now, as it was then, maybe a little lighter since I pulled the cage out of it when akin it into my street car again.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 20 2014, 05:40 PM
Post #27

Custom Member

Please do a thread on that car Jake....
I would love to see all the finished pics.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Oct 20 2014, 06:24 PM
Post #28

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 20 2014, 07:47 AM) *

QUOTE(lexatola @ Oct 17 2014, 10:08 PM) *

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on the 2270 engine kit from the Type 4 store. I'm curious if anyone knows what the difference between the kit and the Raby 2270 SR. I see they each have different HP specs. Do we think this is an actual difference or just a difference in written spec? Same cam? Same Heads? Curious if this kit can make better HP than 140? Headers? Other tested and ordained cam?

I'd appreciate any input based on experience,

Best,

Alex

When I sold the Type 4 Store to LN I also sold them all the engine kit combinations and I reconfigured them to be easier to assemble and tune. This was done to aid Charles and the team in regard to supporting the kits.

None of the kits that are sold are configured the same as my turn key engines. I use different combinations and I custom build each engine. The 2270 SR is just a base combination, when I consult with a buyer I will generally alter the combination to better fit their operating environment, and application, as well as the cooling system being used, type of fuel thats available int he area and about 15 other variables that is found on my order spreadsheet, all of which can change cam, head and other sub- system requirements.

LN has done very well continuing what I started with the Type 4 Store, and taking it to the next level, that I had no desire to do. Getting rid of the burden of the store has freed up all my resources to be used for R&D and engine building, which is where my passions always have been. I took the area where the store used to be and added 4 more engine assembly stations and another clean room, which has helped us reduce delivery times from one year, down to around 5-6 months for turn key engines.

Now, I have fun again, without any retail purchasers.

I have an Emory 356 that puts out about 120hp at the wheels and weighs in at about 1600lbs.

Here's my Raby Typ456 Outlaw, built from a 64C. It makes 185 at the wheels and isn't conventional. Weighs around 1520 with lexan windows and most other lightweight goodies. It was a SCCA/VSCCA race car for 40 years and its just as light now, as it was then, maybe a little lighter since I pulled the cage out of it when akin it into my street car again.

Attached Image

Damn! That thing looks like it would bite if you got too close.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 20 2014, 10:18 PM
Post #29

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 20 2014, 03:40 PM) *

Please do a thread on that car Jake....
I would love to see all the finished pics.

I've kept the car under wraps. I've decided to enjoy my things and not worry about showing them off, doing so just paints a big target on your back and takes all the fun out of it when you are in my shoes.

Its never been to an event, and more than likely never will.
+Quote Post
lexatola
post Oct 20 2014, 10:24 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 17,914

Here's my Outlaw.....Just for fun!Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
lexatola
post Oct 20 2014, 10:48 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 17,914

I have to say, being brand spanking new to the 914 world, but not new at all to all things Porsche, that I've never had such a challenge dipping into the well spring of experienced builders, racers, drivers and owners to get the details of tied and true solutions and sources. In both the 911 and 356 worlds it would take you all of one evening on the forums to figure out all the details of virtually any build you wanted to pursue. Clearly, the artistry of actually doing the build is another thing, but figuring out what the community has tried and likes and what the details are to get there has been really challenging. I think I'm cranky tonight (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 21 2014, 01:32 AM
Post #32

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 21 2014, 08:33 AM
Post #33

Custom Member

QUOTE(lexatola @ Oct 18 2014, 12:34 PM) *

Thanks all for the confirmation that we think the kit is made up of some different components than the turnkey motors. I'm just trying to sort out the best path. Seems like if you take a 2.0 add headers, twin carbs and a hotter cam that this would get things up to 125hp or so. The kit feels like a lot of investment for another 15HP. I'm wondering if the kit can be pumped up by a yet hotter cam and with headers? Is there 160hp in the kit there to be extracted? Any experience with this? I'm assuming that the key difference between the kit and turn key is cam and heads?

Thanks,

Alex

The to give you more to think about.
The Type 4 motor is not nearly as popular as the type 1 motor, so you won't see as much data on what do do with the motor, secrets of builds etc.

The key to any of these motors is to make them more efficient as air pumps.
these type 4 motors can be made to put out a lot more real torque than a type 1 , so if you are driving it around town, using it for an occasional autocross, showing the car etc....those are some of the goal you need to share to get a more refined answer.

There are many opinions on what type of build to do, what size etc...
Once you wrap your head around your goals, you have options to consider.
Build a stock motor
Build a hopped up stock motor for vintage racing ( a very specific set of rules needs to be followed)
Build a large type 4 motor (all large type 4 motors creat compromises that you need to decide....longevity, target rpm range etc)
Build a high revving race motor that sucks on the street
Put in a six cylinder motor.

So, you wnt find as much information, but you will find it if you ask informed questions, and you ask the right sources.

Look at shoptalk forums
Look at pelican
Look more here

Talk to builders
AJ Simms
FAT performance
Jake Raby
Emory Brothers ( who do know, they just don't talk about type 4 too much)

In the end, these 4 cylinder aircooled motors share a lot of characteristics, so better flowing heads, more aggressive camshaft, larger stroke....reall the same as any gasoline engine...

For specific camshaft suggestions, ask Web Cam, there are others.

Be specific with your questions, and you will get answers.

What is the purpose of the car?
Race, show, or street?
4 cylinder a must or are you considering a 6 cylinder?
Do you want to build the motor, or buy a bolt in motor?
All of that will get you past the first set of questions to learn more.

Rich
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 21 2014, 09:46 AM
Post #34

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Another factor is that the 911 and 356 performance builds are relatively common. The 911 because there have been a whole lot of them made over the years; the 356 because they've been around just about forever, and they have significant commonality with the Type I that was made by the millions. And quite a number of places have built each of those, making information easier to come by.

The real 914 performance builds are much less common, and have only been done by a handful of people. Some of them (read that: Jake) have put a lot of time, effort, and money into developing combinations that really work well together. They expect to be compensated for that, so they charge for the information. They have also had people read up on all the information they could find on those motors in public, and copy them. So they are doubly shy of publishing the "recipe" for their motors, because they know people will rip off their hard work.

Yeah, I'd like it if I could just stop into the forum and find the "magic recipe" that would let me build a 180 HP 2.2 liter motor in my garage. But I'd be pretty unhappy if people like Jake stopped doing research into the Type IV because they couldn't make any money because nobody will buy their 200+ HP 2.3 liter Type IVs.

--DD
+Quote Post
SchwarzHorse
post Oct 21 2014, 01:25 PM
Post #35

of the Moby Gang

Member No.: 13,335

And if you install an engine manufactured by another car maker, you'll need to appropriately alter the emblem-lettering on the lid above the engine too.

Put in a rice-burning WRX motor? Then replace the emblem's ending "E" with "ARU"

Put in a fuel-chugging Chevy V-6? Then the "E" ought to be replaced with "EV" or "ETTE"

Went with a spinach-burning Ford-Power V-8? Then swap out the "E" with "ORD"

Etc...
And prepare to stop telling people that you drive a Porsche (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 21 2014, 01:50 PM
Post #36

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(SchwarzHorse @ Oct 21 2014, 03:25 PM) *

And if you install an engine manufactured by another car maker, you'll need to appropriately alter the emblem-lettering on the lid above the engine too.

Put in a rice-burning WRX motor? Then replace the emblem's ending "E" with "ARU"

Put in a fuel-chugging Chevy V-6? Then the "E" ought to be replaced with "EV" or "ETTE"

Went with a spinach-burning Ford-Power V-8? Then swap out the "E" with "ORD"

Etc...
And prepare to stop telling people that you drive a Porsche (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

OMG! you mean it's Not A Real Porsche!!!!

Crap....may as well put a VW engine in it...
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 21 2014, 01:57 PM
Post #37

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

QUOTE(SchwarzHorse @ Oct 21 2014, 12:25 PM) *

Exactly right. In that context how can you continue to call it a Porsche? Look at your door tag, which unless you have a six will say "Volkswagenwerke AG." Then look at all the VW stamps on the engine. With that in mind if you continue to believe that the providence of the engine dictates what you call the car then you are indeed gonna need to re-think a few things.

OR... you can accept that there've been some blurred lines in your car's past so you may not be sure who the daddy was, but you love it just the same.

+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 21 2014, 01:58 PM
Post #38

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

That's it. I'm joining the 924 club!
+Quote Post
mr2by4
post Oct 21 2014, 02:25 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 8,439
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 21 2014, 11:58 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Oct 21 2014, 03:36 PM
Post #40

Teener fo Life!

Member No.: 977

QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 21 2014, 12:58 PM) *

but that's just an Audi engine...still not a real Porsche (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 07:45 AM