Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine Condition - 2.0L
mmascari
post Oct 22 2014, 10:45 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,850
Region Association: None

I recently purchased a 1973 2.0L that I am in the process of restoring. According to the previous owner the engine hasn't run in 5 years. I drained the oil which looked OK. The other day I dropped the engine out and was going to take a look at it. My question relates to if the motor is ceased. I am able to turn the fan clockwise and counter-clockwise but only about 180 degrees. Is that normal? I am not a mechanic so I have no idea. What other things can I do or verify that the engine is good? For example, pull the heads? I will take the valve covers off today and post some pics. Thanks in advance for the advice.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914mikee100
post Oct 22 2014, 10:53 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 14,702

Did you pull the sparkplugs before you tried to turn the fan 360 degrees? If not, you should and try again. If it moves 180, it is not seized, but you could still have something broken that is preventing full movement. Pulling the plugs first should let it go all 360.
+Quote Post
mmascari
post Oct 22 2014, 10:58 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,850

Yes, the plugs have been pulled. It seems to stop about 180 degrees in both directions.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Oct 22 2014, 11:01 AM
Post #4

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

More than likely a dropped valve in a cylinder.

Try to adjust the valves.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Oct 22 2014, 11:08 AM
Post #5

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

I have had several engines like that which had rusted rings in one cylinder from sitting for a long time with a valve open. Might as well start to remove the heads to see what you have.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
02loftsmoor
post Oct 22 2014, 11:08 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,243
Region Association: Southwest Region

Turn it slowly just incase, don't want to bend/damage anything else.
+Quote Post
Nate
post Oct 22 2014, 12:51 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,807
Region Association: Southern California

I just finished rebuilding a 2.0 motor on a 73. Sounds like a good project. Trust me when I say that the mechanical motor part of the rebuild is cake compared to the electronics and peripheral systems that have to be running well after you get the motor back in the car. Are you going to keep the d-jet or go to carbs?

As far as your problem, could be any number of things but I would start by lightly sticking a screwdriver down the spark plug holes and turning the motor to find out which cylinder or at least narrow it down to which two cylinders the problem is possibly in. On a healthy cylinder the screwdriver should only poke into the cylinder an inch or so before contacting the piston when that cylinder is at top dead center.

Post up some pics (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Oct 22 2014, 01:04 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

Why did you take it out before you tried to start it? Did the PO say something that made you decide that? If it was broken, trying to start it probably would not have broken it too much more.

Anyway, be careful if you are rotating the engine using the fan, if that is what you are doing. The blades of the fan cannot be repaired so you will have to buy a new fan. Some say you should not take the fan apart either. You mentioned valves. You should take the covers off and watch the valves as you rotate.

I can't remember which direction is correct, CCW or CW, but watch the distributor and turn the engine in the firing order direction.

Since it is out, take the tranny off and use the flywheel. Might even be able to do it with a pry bar on the flywheel teeth.... one at a time thru a hole in the seam between the tranny and engine.

Again, if it was in the car you could use one rear wheel. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) many more options with it in the car, which is where you need it to drive the car.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:09 PM