Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Road rage and 914's, Have you been abused lately?
914Mels
post Oct 22 2014, 02:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,221
Region Association: Southern California

Over the years of driving our 914, I've noticed some people seem infuriated just to see a 914 going down the road. I could be driving any of our cars and have a normal drive around town but get into the 914 and you would swear I was chopping up babies and throwing them out on the road. People will tailgate, speed up to keep you boxed in, just about anything rude you can think of. Now, this won't apply to the jack stand crowd, unless you have rude neighbors who yell things as they walk by the garage, but how often these days, are other people getting the "It's only a VW" phrase, or getting road abused? Maybe it's just So. Cal, but I'm curious what others are experiencing.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 22 2014, 02:48 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(914Mels @ Oct 22 2014, 01:37 PM) *
Maybe it's just So. Cal

Must be SlowCal ... Up here people try to kill me no matter what car i drive.

However, i do seem to bring out the race car driver in people when i'm on the road in the 914.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 22 2014, 02:58 PM
Post #3

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Respect, r-e-s-p-e-c-t. Aretha got it wrong! Respect is spelled 6 c-y-l-i-n-d-e-r. Those same assholes won't get near me anymore. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
02loftsmoor
post Oct 22 2014, 03:02 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,243
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(914Mels @ Oct 22 2014, 03:37 PM) *

Over the years of driving our 914, I've noticed some people seem infuriated just to see a 914 going down the road. I could be driving any of our cars and have a normal drive around town but get into the 914 and you would swear I was chopping up babies and throwing them out on the road. People will tailgate, speed up to keep you boxed in, just about anything rude you can think of. Now, this won't apply to the jack stand crowd, unless you have rude neighbors who yell things as they walk by the garage, but how often these days, are other people getting the "It's only a VW" phrase, or getting road abused? Maybe it's just So. Cal, but I'm curious what others are experiencing.

my daily driver is a Tahoe, that really slowed that down, but when ever i drove my sports cars and motorcycles , good god look out red alert every one was out to get you. drive sane everyone jacks with you, drive like there is no tomorrow they leave you alone. I don't get it.
+Quote Post
Johns914
post Oct 22 2014, 03:05 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,135
Region Association: None

Not so much with the road rage but just not seeing my car. I had a kid in a Saturn cut across 6 lanes and cut me off. Must not have seen the bright Orange car coming down the road.
+Quote Post
damesandhotrods
post Oct 22 2014, 03:14 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,218
Region Association: Northern California

I’ve spent 9 out of the past 10 years driving air cooled cars on a daily basis and I’ve never noticed the 914 being treated any different than any other small car. Now Beetles on the other hand are a different story…
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Oct 22 2014, 03:33 PM
Post #7

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Drive a creamsicle & see what happens. People follow you, circle you, stop @ the gas station to check you out, etc... Other Porsches give you a look & wave or thumbs up. They attract a lot of attention, however for me it's been all positive & never negative. When I tell them it came from the factory this way, I always get this look- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
'73-914kid
post Oct 22 2014, 03:39 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,714

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 22 2014, 01:58 PM) *

Respect, r-e-s-p-e-c-t. Aretha got it wrong! Respect is spelled 6 c-y-l-i-n-d-e-r. Those same assholes won't get near me anymore. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Same here... a sport muffler that spits fire on decel seems to discourage tail gaters... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Haha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
sb914
post Oct 22 2014, 03:41 PM
Post #9

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191

QUOTE(Johns914 @ Oct 22 2014, 02:05 PM) *

Not so much with the road rage but just not seeing my car. I had a kid in a Saturn cut across 6 lanes and cut me off. Must not have seen the bright Orange car coming down the road.

No road rage but,I'm constantly being cut off,are cars are so low,people can't see us and are always pulling out of driveways. Just assume there going to hit you, keeps you on your toes.
+Quote Post
somd914
post Oct 22 2014, 03:52 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Most drive like jerks around here no matter. The big turbo diesel pickup crowd is by far the worse - brakes and accelerator must be binary switches in those vehicles and they must have vague steering since they are constantly wandering from lane to lane...

For the most part the 914 gets ignored in respect to other drivers and their habits.

Now the Carrera on the other hand attracts a lot of attention from those who think they need to prove they have a worthy ride be it an econobox, muscle car, or the above mentioned turbo diesel truck crowd. It gets old... But I find it really irks them if you drive slowly and ignore them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
pilothyer
post Oct 22 2014, 04:07 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 9,080
Region Association: South East States

I guess we (914 guys) have to do like when you are on a motorcycle............Just pretend you are invisible.
+Quote Post
Java2570
post Oct 22 2014, 04:20 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 13,035
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(pilothyer @ Oct 22 2014, 06:07 PM) *

I guess we (914 guys) have to do like when you are on a motorcycle............Just pretend you are invisible.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) That's exactly how I feel about it....people are so preoccupied that they don't watch where they're going anyway. The 914, being so low and small makes it much less visible.
I don't usually drive in heavy traffic but I've not had any negative experiences so far. And having loud
horns helps too!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Oct 22 2014, 05:28 PM
Post #13

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

No problems in my 914.

If you want to know what road rage means try driving a VW split-window bus. . . Never mind that mine has a type4 in it and can do over 100mph. People see the vehicle and automatically assume you're going 20mph under the speed limit and will literally do ANYTHING to get in front of you. Never mind that I'm driving 10-15mph over. I can't tell you how many times I've been passed on the shoulder, cut-off on a merge lane, etc. because I'm in a bus and going well over the posted limit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I think most of what appears to be road rage is just pure simple ASSHOLES on their f**king phones not paying attention to the world around them while hurling 70+mph in their 2-ton vehicles.

For the record: I DON'T OWN ONE OF THOSE DAMNED THINGS!!
+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 22 2014, 05:29 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

Beware of SUV's backing up. They will never see you.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Oct 22 2014, 05:56 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

There's a reason my cars are bright yellow! Nevertheless, we are so low and small in comparison to most of today's cars, it's best to drive like you're invisible to others.

I certainly get more thumbs up than problems on the road, but the -6 power can help in some situations. Main thing is to think and look ahead!
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Oct 22 2014, 05:58 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

I was at the light here in Boerne when a jacked up 4 wheel drive dually pulled up next to me. I could not see the top of the front tire setting in the 914. That meant he could not see me at ALL. Scary Stuff.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Oct 22 2014, 05:59 PM
Post #17

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Never, it must be because you are Ugly! lol
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 22 2014, 06:09 PM
Post #18

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Every morning while shaving I see the biggest asshole I will meet that day staring me down.....
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Oct 22 2014, 06:24 PM
Post #19

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730

QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 22 2014, 05:09 PM) *

Every morning while shaving I see the biggest asshole I will meet that day staring me down.....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 22 2014, 07:10 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

This last year I got my motorcycle endorsement. After sitting through the class & them teaching you to drive like you are invisible. I realized that is basically how I drive my 914. If you don't you will get hosed. Always assume people will cut you off, pull out in front of you, back out of the parking space, out of their driveway, run that red light all while looking you dead in the eye (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:19 PM