Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Road rage and 914's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Mels
Over the years of driving our 914, I've noticed some people seem infuriated just to see a 914 going down the road. I could be driving any of our cars and have a normal drive around town but get into the 914 and you would swear I was chopping up babies and throwing them out on the road. People will tailgate, speed up to keep you boxed in, just about anything rude you can think of. Now, this won't apply to the jack stand crowd, unless you have rude neighbors who yell things as they walk by the garage, but how often these days, are other people getting the "It's only a VW" phrase, or getting road abused? Maybe it's just So. Cal, but I'm curious what others are experiencing.
SirAndy
QUOTE(914Mels @ Oct 22 2014, 01:37 PM) *
Maybe it's just So. Cal

Must be SlowCal ... Up here people try to kill me no matter what car i drive.

However, i do seem to bring out the race car driver in people when i'm on the road in the 914.
biggrin.gif
76-914
Respect, r-e-s-p-e-c-t. Aretha got it wrong! Respect is spelled 6 c-y-l-i-n-d-e-r. Those same assholes won't get near me anymore. happy11.gif
02loftsmoor
QUOTE(914Mels @ Oct 22 2014, 03:37 PM) *

Over the years of driving our 914, I've noticed some people seem infuriated just to see a 914 going down the road. I could be driving any of our cars and have a normal drive around town but get into the 914 and you would swear I was chopping up babies and throwing them out on the road. People will tailgate, speed up to keep you boxed in, just about anything rude you can think of. Now, this won't apply to the jack stand crowd, unless you have rude neighbors who yell things as they walk by the garage, but how often these days, are other people getting the "It's only a VW" phrase, or getting road abused? Maybe it's just So. Cal, but I'm curious what others are experiencing.

my daily driver is a Tahoe, that really slowed that down, but when ever i drove my sports cars and motorcycles , good god look out red alert every one was out to get you. drive sane everyone jacks with you, drive like there is no tomorrow they leave you alone. I don't get it.
Johns914
Not so much with the road rage but just not seeing my car. I had a kid in a Saturn cut across 6 lanes and cut me off. Must not have seen the bright Orange car coming down the road.
damesandhotrods
I’ve spent 9 out of the past 10 years driving air cooled cars on a daily basis and I’ve never noticed the 914 being treated any different than any other small car. Now Beetles on the other hand are a different story…
Johny Blackstain
Drive a creamsicle & see what happens. People follow you, circle you, stop @ the gas station to check you out, etc... Other Porsches give you a look & wave or thumbs up. They attract a lot of attention, however for me it's been all positive & never negative. When I tell them it came from the factory this way, I always get this look- huh.gif
'73-914kid
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 22 2014, 01:58 PM) *

Respect, r-e-s-p-e-c-t. Aretha got it wrong! Respect is spelled 6 c-y-l-i-n-d-e-r. Those same assholes won't get near me anymore. happy11.gif

Same here... a sport muffler that spits fire on decel seems to discourage tail gaters... confused24.gif

Haha biggrin.gif
sb914
QUOTE(Johns914 @ Oct 22 2014, 02:05 PM) *

Not so much with the road rage but just not seeing my car. I had a kid in a Saturn cut across 6 lanes and cut me off. Must not have seen the bright Orange car coming down the road.

No road rage but,I'm constantly being cut off,are cars are so low,people can't see us and are always pulling out of driveways. Just assume there going to hit you, keeps you on your toes.
somd914
Most drive like jerks around here no matter. The big turbo diesel pickup crowd is by far the worse - brakes and accelerator must be binary switches in those vehicles and they must have vague steering since they are constantly wandering from lane to lane...

For the most part the 914 gets ignored in respect to other drivers and their habits.

Now the Carrera on the other hand attracts a lot of attention from those who think they need to prove they have a worthy ride be it an econobox, muscle car, or the above mentioned turbo diesel truck crowd. It gets old... But I find it really irks them if you drive slowly and ignore them poke.gif
pilothyer
I guess we (914 guys) have to do like when you are on a motorcycle............Just pretend you are invisible.
Java2570
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Oct 22 2014, 06:07 PM) *

I guess we (914 guys) have to do like when you are on a motorcycle............Just pretend you are invisible.

agree.gif That's exactly how I feel about it....people are so preoccupied that they don't watch where they're going anyway. The 914, being so low and small makes it much less visible.
I don't usually drive in heavy traffic but I've not had any negative experiences so far. And having loud
horns helps too!! driving.gif
aircooledtechguy
No problems in my 914.

If you want to know what road rage means try driving a VW split-window bus. . . Never mind that mine has a type4 in it and can do over 100mph. People see the vehicle and automatically assume you're going 20mph under the speed limit and will literally do ANYTHING to get in front of you. Never mind that I'm driving 10-15mph over. I can't tell you how many times I've been passed on the shoulder, cut-off on a merge lane, etc. because I'm in a bus and going well over the posted limit. dry.gif

I think most of what appears to be road rage is just pure simple ASSHOLES on their f**king phones not paying attention to the world around them while hurling 70+mph in their 2-ton vehicles.

For the record: I DON'T OWN ONE OF THOSE DAMNED THINGS!!
Steve
Beware of SUV's backing up. They will never see you.
GeorgeRud
There's a reason my cars are bright yellow! Nevertheless, we are so low and small in comparison to most of today's cars, it's best to drive like you're invisible to others.

I certainly get more thumbs up than problems on the road, but the -6 power can help in some situations. Main thing is to think and look ahead!
914Sixer
I was at the light here in Boerne when a jacked up 4 wheel drive dually pulled up next to me. I could not see the top of the front tire setting in the 914. That meant he could not see me at ALL. Scary Stuff.
carr914
Never, it must be because you are Ugly! lol
r_towle
Every morning while shaving I see the biggest asshole I will meet that day staring me down.....
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 22 2014, 05:09 PM) *

Every morning while shaving I see the biggest asshole I will meet that day staring me down.....

av-943.gif
JRust
This last year I got my motorcycle endorsement. After sitting through the class & them teaching you to drive like you are invisible. I realized that is basically how I drive my 914. If you don't you will get hosed. Always assume people will cut you off, pull out in front of you, back out of the parking space, out of their driveway, run that red light all while looking you dead in the eye dry.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 22 2014, 05:09 PM) *

OMG, you have a picture of SLITS in your bathroom? av-943.gif
DBCooper
Umm... Rich, do you really look like Ron?

ClayPerrine
Betty drives her 914 to work everyday, and has for 20 years. Over those years, she and I have learned that even a bright orange car is invisible. So she had me change the horns out for the same ones that are on my truck. And she has learned to be aggressive with that horn. The stupid people may not be able to see her, but they can certainly hear her.

I suggested adding horns to every corner of the car. That way there would be no missing the horn. She didn't want to do that.....yet.

Drive paranoid, like everyone is out to get you.

era vulgaris
Happens to me pretty regularly, mostly from SUV's and pickups. I was going 55 in a 45 the other day, and an SUV that was riding my ass passed me by going into a right turn lane and then overtaking me in the intersection.
I have to laugh it off because it's so unnecessary and childish. People who act that way on the road only do it because of other issues in their life. But I've noticed the 914 seems to be a target because it stands out so much from every other car on the road. It's an easy target for a road bully.

I also get people that try and change lanes into me simply because they don't see me.
Daily driving a Ghia for 2 years taught me a lot about staying alert and basically compensating for everyone else's stupidity on the road.

I might get flack for saying this, but I blame automatic transmissions. There's no easier way to zone out when you're driving than with an automatic. Driving a manual, you have to be aware: engine speed, road speed, your surroundings for potential up or down shifts, etc. It also gives you a feeling that you're actually in control of what the car is doing, and that in a weird way, you're part of the car.
All these idiots wafting around in their automatics have very little to think about so no wonder they do other things while their vehicle is moving: texting, phone calls, eating, doing makeup, reading newspapers, etc.
It's also no wonder very few people really enjoy their modern automatic cars. How can you when there's so little about it that's truly engaging? For most people who drive slush boxes, their car is an appliance that they don't really care about.
Hank914
Automatic trannies are the default. Even Ferrari has capitulated to this.
I like the idea of loud horns. But we are not much more visible than motorcycles.
mepstein
I've had a 914 since I was 17 - I'm 48 now. SUV's, pick ups and minivans dominate the road now and it's even harder for people to see us. I take the same care in my 914 as when I ride my bike on the road. Assume they dont see you, dont care even when they do see you, are trying to hit you or are just stupid.
DRPHIL914
I am actually surprised it doesnt happen more often. I used to have a motorcycle, drove it almost daily while in high school and college- BMW- but i had a LOT of close calls on that, way more than in the 914,. I have not noticed the road rage more in that than anything else . but i have had a couple close calls- on the way back from Octeenerfest on I26 in SC, i was right next to a lady in and toyota Sequoia, on her right- because she was driving slow in the PASSING lane- anyway i was looking right at her so i know she could see me, if she looked, which she never did, before she started to change lanes and run me off the road- she never looked- not until i had been running the horn and was half on the shoulder. -

btw i am pretty sure she was on her phone-
point is she didnt ever look to my way , if she had we would have made eye contact. I make sure i dont sit in someones blind spot. it seems like because its different a lot of people see it and will make some kind of gesture- the nice kind- and i keep a mental note of the perps , its 75% young females - on the phone, and we have a law in SC making that illegal but i dont see the patrol or county mounty pulling people over for it and they can.

- my pet peve is the guy/girl that sits in the inside passing lane blocking faster traffic then they give you the evil eye like you are doing something wrong when you pass them. - if im in the truck i usually get in front then slow down until they move over to the other lane then i move along happy11.gif
EdwardBlume
Motorcycle riding and driving a 914 is very similar: assume no one sees you, look way ahead, and in the event of an accident - you're screwed.

So to cover yourself- make sure you are visible, stay alert, and have a mean lawyer in your contact list.
HalfMoon
Mine has a sbc in it with a Dr. Evil sorted 901.
I don't have these problems (although sometimes I notice blurry things in my rearview)
Cuda911
I get nothing but tons of smiles and thumbs up from others when driving my 914.

OP, maybe you dress funny?
mgp4591
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 23 2014, 01:59 PM) *

Motorcycle riding and driving a 914 is very similar: assume no one sees you, look way ahead, and in the event of an accident - you're screwed.

So to cover yourself- make sure you are visible, stay alert, and have a mean lawyer in your contact list.

agree.gif
euro911
A good set of air horns help, but usually by the time they're utilized, the other idiot driver has already pulled a stupid stunt.

I agree, you have to drive a small car with the same attitude as when you're riding a motorcycle.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Oct 22 2014, 04:28 PM) *

No problems in my 914.

If you want to know what road rage means try driving a VW split-window bus. . . Never mind that mine has a type4 in it and can do over 100mph. People see the vehicle and automatically assume you're going 20mph under the speed limit and will literally do ANYTHING to get in front of you. Never mind that I'm driving 10-15mph over. I can't tell you how many times I've been passed on the shoulder, cut-off on a merge lane, etc. because I'm in a bus and going well over the posted limit. dry.gif

I think most of what appears to be road rage is just pure simple ASSHOLES on their f**king phones not paying attention to the world around them while hurling 70+mph in their 2-ton vehicles.

yep, driving the 914 in traffic is a pain but driving the bus on the freeway is unbelievable as everyone HAS to pass you and then cut in front of you. No one wants to be behind a bus pure and simple.
The ghia has the problem that everyone wants to drive next to it and take pictures, wave, point and smile at us. If I go to the Pike Market and park next thing I know is 10 Japanese tourists are standing around taking pictures, girls laying on it and giving the peace sign.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 24 2014, 08:47 AM) *

The ghia has the problem that everyone wants to drive next to it and take pictures, wave, point and smile at us. If I go to the Pike Market and park next thing I know is 10 Japanese tourists are standing around taking pictures, girls laying on it and giving the peace sign.

If I came out and found some girl laying on my car, I would ask her name. Then I would call the cops and have her arrested for vandalism. If the cops won't come, get her name and file a claim in small claims court. People like that have no idea that the rivets and zippers on their jeans can scratch an expensive paint job. I cringe every time I go to a car show and some moron lets his grubby fingered crotch dropping crawl all over a really nice car. Or the moron on his own. I watched one moron move the "don't touch" sign so he could open the door on a show car. The owner caught him, and went ballistic on him. His attitude was "What's the big deal?" The moron probably drives a beat up old camry and has no idea the amount of money and work it takes to create a nice car like that.

chair.gif ar15.gif

Ok.. I will get off my soapbox now.

EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 24 2014, 06:47 AM) *

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Oct 22 2014, 04:28 PM) *

No problems in my 914.

yep, driving the 914 in traffic is a pain but driving the bus on the freeway is unbelievable as everyone HAS to pass you and then cut in front of you. No one wants to be behind a bus pure and simple.

If I'm coming up on a VW bus, I'm going to speed up to get around you. Sorry.

I was a Pike Street a couple weeks ago on a football Sunday. I was the guy who took off my shirt and was rolling all over your hood.
914_3.0
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Oct 23 2014, 10:58 PM) *

I get nothing but tons of smiles and thumbs up from others when driving my 914.

OP, maybe you dress funny?

+1 on that. Now when I had my 996..... people not so nice!! lol
ConeDodger
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Oct 22 2014, 12:14 PM) *

I’ve spent 9 out of the past 10 years driving air cooled cars on a daily basis and I’ve never noticed the 914 being treated any different than any other small car. Now Beetles on the other hand are a different story…

Really? When I drove a bug, I would notice people yelling "slug-bug!" And punching each other, but they never seemed angry at me? huh.gif
Elliot Cannon
I wouldn't call it "road rage", more like "road ignorance" or "road head-up-the-ass", or "road nobody-matters-but-me". It happens to me in my 914 and it also happens to me in my F-150. It also happens when you're flying a plane but that's a whole other story. biggrin.gif
mbseto
Can't remember which comedian said every driver should be issued one of those rubber suction cup dart guns. You shoot anyone that cuts you off or otherwise drives like an idiot. Then all the police have to do is drive around and look for a car with lots of darts stuck to it, pull it over and give them a ticket for driving like an a--hole. Very democratic.
chandler1969
This is what happens when someone says "I didnt see you". Really? You hit me coming off a side street

Click to view attachment

when the heck did it become "slug bug"? Its suppose to be punch buggy headbang.gif blink.gif
mrholland2
QUOTE(chandler1969 @ Oct 27 2014, 09:09 AM) *

This is what happens when someone says "I didnt see you". Really? You hit me coming off a side street

Click to view attachment

when the heck did it become "slug bug"? Its suppose to be punch buggy headbang.gif blink.gif

It was slug bug forever. Punch buggy is from a stupid movie: LILO and Stitch
mgp4591
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 24 2014, 08:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 24 2014, 08:47 AM) *

If I came out and found some girl laying on my car, I would ask her name. Then I would call the cops and have her arrested for vandalism. If the cops won't come, get her name and file a claim in small claims court. People like that have no idea that the rivets and zippers on their jeans can scratch an expensive paint job. I cringe every time I go to a car show and some moron lets his grubby fingered crotch dropping crawl all over a really nice car. Or the moron on his own. I watched one moron move the "don't touch" sign so he could open the door on a show car. The owner caught him, and went ballistic on him. His attitude was "What's the big deal?" The moron probably drives a beat up old camry and has no idea the amount of money and work it takes to create a nice car like that.

chair.gif ar15.gif

Ok.. I will get off my soapbox now.

The soapbox is a good thing! I've worked on a number of show cars and still, when I'm anywhere near a car on display I put both hands behind my back and peer in without the owner fearing I'm gonna do something stupid. I've gotten high fives from owners for respecting their rides- I don't mind doing it and hope it'll let others know to respect the work done.
orangecrate
I ride---- like I'm invisible. Generally because in less than 30 seconds--- I am!!! Gonna take a lot of $$$$ to make the teener move like my bike. So I will have to be particularly wary when I finally get it on the road. It seems very few people actually look where they are going. Inside a steel box off in La La land. Yes we teeners are low, and mine will be relatively slow as it's a stock 1.7. I'm not really looking to go real fast in it, I just don't want to slow down!!! driving.gif
Wdunster
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 23 2014, 03:18 PM) *

I've had a 914 since I was 17 - I'm 48 now. SUV's, pick ups and minivans dominate the road now and it's even harder for people to see us. I take the same care in my 914 as when I ride my bike on the road. Assume they dont see you, dont care even when they do see you, are trying to hit you or are just stupid.

"See and be seen"
damesandhotrods
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 24 2014, 11:35 AM) *

QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Oct 22 2014, 12:14 PM) *

Really? When I drove a bug, I would notice people yelling "slug-bug!" And punching each other, but they never seemed angry at me? huh.gif

Pedestrians, bicyclists, and skateboarders are not afraid of Beetles. They will jump in front of you without thinking twice. Even if you have eye contact they will still go right in front of you. The same thing happened with cars trucks and SUVs. Life improved drastically when I moved up to a Type 3.
al weidman
I live in a rural area in No. Calif. and have a replica speedster, a bug, a VW bus and a 914 and always had people come over at a gas station parking lot or car show and tell me their dad had one or they have never seen one in real life. I have driven air cooled VW's and Porsche's since 1959 and it has been a great experience and have only suffered the "I didn't see you" in my 914 and it is always on the freeway. Still haven't been hit though. BTW my '75 just went home to Germany. The transporter said I wouldn't believe how many cars are going to Europe. He said there are hundreds every shipment. He was picking up another 914 and a VW bus on this trip. My American bidders just gave up and never reached his bid. type.gif Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.