Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Road rage and 914's, Have you been abused lately?
Elliot Cannon
post Oct 22 2014, 07:18 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 22 2014, 05:09 PM) *

Every morning while shaving I see the biggest asshole I will meet that day staring me down.....

OMG, you have a picture of SLITS in your bathroom? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 22 2014, 07:30 PM
Post #22

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Umm... Rich, do you really look like Ron?

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 23 2014, 11:43 AM
Post #23

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Betty drives her 914 to work everyday, and has for 20 years. Over those years, she and I have learned that even a bright orange car is invisible. So she had me change the horns out for the same ones that are on my truck. And she has learned to be aggressive with that horn. The stupid people may not be able to see her, but they can certainly hear her.

I suggested adding horns to every corner of the car. That way there would be no missing the horn. She didn't want to do that.....yet.

Drive paranoid, like everyone is out to get you.

+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Oct 23 2014, 12:38 PM
Post #24

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629
Region Association: South East States

Happens to me pretty regularly, mostly from SUV's and pickups. I was going 55 in a 45 the other day, and an SUV that was riding my ass passed me by going into a right turn lane and then overtaking me in the intersection.
I have to laugh it off because it's so unnecessary and childish. People who act that way on the road only do it because of other issues in their life. But I've noticed the 914 seems to be a target because it stands out so much from every other car on the road. It's an easy target for a road bully.

I also get people that try and change lanes into me simply because they don't see me.
Daily driving a Ghia for 2 years taught me a lot about staying alert and basically compensating for everyone else's stupidity on the road.

I might get flack for saying this, but I blame automatic transmissions. There's no easier way to zone out when you're driving than with an automatic. Driving a manual, you have to be aware: engine speed, road speed, your surroundings for potential up or down shifts, etc. It also gives you a feeling that you're actually in control of what the car is doing, and that in a weird way, you're part of the car.
All these idiots wafting around in their automatics have very little to think about so no wonder they do other things while their vehicle is moving: texting, phone calls, eating, doing makeup, reading newspapers, etc.
It's also no wonder very few people really enjoy their modern automatic cars. How can you when there's so little about it that's truly engaging? For most people who drive slush boxes, their car is an appliance that they don't really care about.
+Quote Post
Hank914
post Oct 23 2014, 12:51 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 17,215

Automatic trannies are the default. Even Ferrari has capitulated to this.
I like the idea of loud horns. But we are not much more visible than motorcycles.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 23 2014, 01:18 PM
Post #26

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I've had a 914 since I was 17 - I'm 48 now. SUV's, pick ups and minivans dominate the road now and it's even harder for people to see us. I take the same care in my 914 as when I ride my bike on the road. Assume they dont see you, dont care even when they do see you, are trying to hit you or are just stupid.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 23 2014, 01:19 PM
Post #27

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

I am actually surprised it doesnt happen more often. I used to have a motorcycle, drove it almost daily while in high school and college- BMW- but i had a LOT of close calls on that, way more than in the 914,. I have not noticed the road rage more in that than anything else . but i have had a couple close calls- on the way back from Octeenerfest on I26 in SC, i was right next to a lady in and toyota Sequoia, on her right- because she was driving slow in the PASSING lane- anyway i was looking right at her so i know she could see me, if she looked, which she never did, before she started to change lanes and run me off the road- she never looked- not until i had been running the horn and was half on the shoulder. -

btw i am pretty sure she was on her phone-
point is she didnt ever look to my way , if she had we would have made eye contact. I make sure i dont sit in someones blind spot. it seems like because its different a lot of people see it and will make some kind of gesture- the nice kind- and i keep a mental note of the perps , its 75% young females - on the phone, and we have a law in SC making that illegal but i dont see the patrol or county mounty pulling people over for it and they can.

- my pet peve is the guy/girl that sits in the inside passing lane blocking faster traffic then they give you the evil eye like you are doing something wrong when you pass them. - if im in the truck i usually get in front then slow down until they move over to the other lane then i move along (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 23 2014, 01:59 PM
Post #28

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Motorcycle riding and driving a 914 is very similar: assume no one sees you, look way ahead, and in the event of an accident - you're screwed.

So to cover yourself- make sure you are visible, stay alert, and have a mean lawyer in your contact list.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Oct 23 2014, 10:59 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 15,144
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Mine has a sbc in it with a Dr. Evil sorted 901.
I don't have these problems (although sometimes I notice blurry things in my rearview)
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Oct 23 2014, 11:58 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

I get nothing but tons of smiles and thumbs up from others when driving my 914.

OP, maybe you dress funny?
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Oct 24 2014, 12:08 AM
Post #31

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 23 2014, 01:59 PM) *

Motorcycle riding and driving a 914 is very similar: assume no one sees you, look way ahead, and in the event of an accident - you're screwed.

So to cover yourself- make sure you are visible, stay alert, and have a mean lawyer in your contact list.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 24 2014, 03:14 AM
Post #32

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

A good set of air horns help, but usually by the time they're utilized, the other idiot driver has already pulled a stupid stunt.

I agree, you have to drive a small car with the same attitude as when you're riding a motorcycle.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 24 2014, 07:47 AM
Post #33

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Oct 22 2014, 04:28 PM) *

No problems in my 914.

If you want to know what road rage means try driving a VW split-window bus. . . Never mind that mine has a type4 in it and can do over 100mph. People see the vehicle and automatically assume you're going 20mph under the speed limit and will literally do ANYTHING to get in front of you. Never mind that I'm driving 10-15mph over. I can't tell you how many times I've been passed on the shoulder, cut-off on a merge lane, etc. because I'm in a bus and going well over the posted limit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I think most of what appears to be road rage is just pure simple ASSHOLES on their f**king phones not paying attention to the world around them while hurling 70+mph in their 2-ton vehicles.

For the record: I DON'T OWN ONE OF THOSE DAMNED THINGS!!

yep, driving the 914 in traffic is a pain but driving the bus on the freeway is unbelievable as everyone HAS to pass you and then cut in front of you. No one wants to be behind a bus pure and simple.
The ghia has the problem that everyone wants to drive next to it and take pictures, wave, point and smile at us. If I go to the Pike Market and park next thing I know is 10 Japanese tourists are standing around taking pictures, girls laying on it and giving the peace sign.

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 24 2014, 08:12 AM
Post #34

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 24 2014, 08:47 AM) *

The ghia has the problem that everyone wants to drive next to it and take pictures, wave, point and smile at us. If I go to the Pike Market and park next thing I know is 10 Japanese tourists are standing around taking pictures, girls laying on it and giving the peace sign.

If I came out and found some girl laying on my car, I would ask her name. Then I would call the cops and have her arrested for vandalism. If the cops won't come, get her name and file a claim in small claims court. People like that have no idea that the rivets and zippers on their jeans can scratch an expensive paint job. I cringe every time I go to a car show and some moron lets his grubby fingered crotch dropping crawl all over a really nice car. Or the moron on his own. I watched one moron move the "don't touch" sign so he could open the door on a show car. The owner caught him, and went ballistic on him. His attitude was "What's the big deal?" The moron probably drives a beat up old camry and has no idea the amount of money and work it takes to create a nice car like that.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

Ok.. I will get off my soapbox now.

+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 24 2014, 08:25 AM
Post #35

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 24 2014, 06:47 AM) *

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Oct 22 2014, 04:28 PM) *

No problems in my 914.

If you want to know what road rage means try driving a VW split-window bus. . . Never mind that mine has a type4 in it and can do over 100mph. People see the vehicle and automatically assume you're going 20mph under the speed limit and will literally do ANYTHING to get in front of you. Never mind that I'm driving 10-15mph over. I can't tell you how many times I've been passed on the shoulder, cut-off on a merge lane, etc. because I'm in a bus and going well over the posted limit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I think most of what appears to be road rage is just pure simple ASSHOLES on their f**king phones not paying attention to the world around them while hurling 70+mph in their 2-ton vehicles.

For the record: I DON'T OWN ONE OF THOSE DAMNED THINGS!!

yep, driving the 914 in traffic is a pain but driving the bus on the freeway is unbelievable as everyone HAS to pass you and then cut in front of you. No one wants to be behind a bus pure and simple.

If I'm coming up on a VW bus, I'm going to speed up to get around you. Sorry.

I was a Pike Street a couple weeks ago on a football Sunday. I was the guy who took off my shirt and was rolling all over your hood.
+Quote Post
914_3.0
post Oct 24 2014, 11:32 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 16,856

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Oct 23 2014, 10:58 PM) *

I get nothing but tons of smiles and thumbs up from others when driving my 914.

OP, maybe you dress funny?

+1 on that. Now when I had my 996..... people not so nice!! lol
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 24 2014, 12:35 PM
Post #37

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Oct 22 2014, 12:14 PM) *

I’ve spent 9 out of the past 10 years driving air cooled cars on a daily basis and I’ve never noticed the 914 being treated any different than any other small car. Now Beetles on the other hand are a different story…

Really? When I drove a bug, I would notice people yelling "slug-bug!" And punching each other, but they never seemed angry at me? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Oct 24 2014, 12:53 PM
Post #38

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

I wouldn't call it "road rage", more like "road ignorance" or "road head-up-the-ass", or "road nobody-matters-but-me". It happens to me in my 914 and it also happens to me in my F-150. It also happens when you're flying a plane but that's a whole other story. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Oct 27 2014, 07:54 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

Can't remember which comedian said every driver should be issued one of those rubber suction cup dart guns. You shoot anyone that cuts you off or otherwise drives like an idiot. Then all the police have to do is drive around and look for a car with lots of darts stuck to it, pull it over and give them a ticket for driving like an a--hole. Very democratic.
+Quote Post
chandler1969
post Oct 27 2014, 10:09 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 5,352

This is what happens when someone says "I didnt see you". Really? You hit me coming off a side street

Attached Image

when the heck did it become "slug bug"? Its suppose to be punch buggy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:54 PM