Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Plaid insert seat materials or kits available as a 4 pcs kit fully sewn, Going plaid? got you covered GB over
tweet
post Oct 29 2014, 10:57 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,579
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 23 2014, 04:06 PM) *

Mark - What do we do to order and pay. Is it on your website. thanks

*I also noticed that the sides of Johannes cushion is vinyl while yours is fabric. I guess that is why he did it in one yard while yours takes 2. Isn't oem vinyl sides.

Original black/grey tartan seats. The sides of the seat cushion are vinyl.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tweet
post Oct 29 2014, 11:05 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 15,579

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 28 2014, 11:42 AM) *

Thank you, Mark, appreciate the efforts (and patience).

On a bit of a non-sequitur, anyone offer some internal links on vinyl dyeing? If I got this route, I'll need to dye the current brown interior to a somewhat-matching black. Seat bolsters, door card, center cushion, and rear bakc pad are all in surprisingly good condition, just the incorrect color.

VHT makes black vinyl dye in a spray can. The most important thing when dying, is your prep work. You cannot have ANY residue on the vinyl. You should also use an adhesion promoter. They also make this product
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 29 2014, 11:32 AM
Post #43

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 23 2014, 01:06 PM) *

Mark - What do we do to order and pay. Is it on your website. thanks

*I also noticed that the sides of Johannes cushion is vinyl while yours is fabric. I guess that is why he did it in one yard while yours takes 2. Isn't oem vinyl sides.

The pattern actually runs the short side of the roll, you have to shift it at least 3" to have the pattern centered on the seats. You can pick it up on the next section above, but it leaves a strip on the side wide enough that we could do the sides.

It would be large enough to to a center cushion, and we could do up a pre sewn piece or heck even make a matching driving hat I'm checking with my guy, but it looks like $25 he could sew them up.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 29 2014, 11:43 AM
Post #44

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

i'll take a hat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Oct 29 2014, 01:23 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 29 2014, 01:43 PM) *

I love it!

Another question, Mark: If someone were to get the bolsters as part of the plaid inserts, would you be able to use different colored thread for the stitching? What I have in mind is the burgundy insert, black vinyl, with burgundy stitching on the "cowboy stitching" (whatever that double-stitching is in between the upper and lower bolsters...might be nice to do this stitch all the way around...see my GTI interior pics earlier in the thread..."thread", I kill myself...)

Obviously this is not a concourse restoration project.

GA
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 29 2014, 09:30 PM
Post #46

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Just placed my order. Sandy is going to kill me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 29 2014, 10:35 PM
Post #47

The rubber man

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 25 2014, 06:52 PM) *

Mark, i am interested in the #81 black pre-sewn set cusions.
* also would need the bolsters
* and I believe my bottom cusion foams were really in bad condition so I am throwing my name there for foam if you get enough interest for it .

so let me know howmuch for pre-sewn kit + bolsters + foam.

phil

I was able to find a local foam supply store to cut these up. $28 each in a high density foam. Yes I can find cheaper foam, but for comparable firmness, it runs a little more. Pics in the morning.
-mark
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 29 2014, 10:36 PM
Post #48

The rubber man

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 29 2014, 10:43 AM) *

Yes, but I think it may need black vinyl on the sides????? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 29 2014, 10:38 PM
Post #49

The rubber man

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 29 2014, 12:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 29 2014, 01:43 PM) *

I love it!

Another question, Mark: If someone were to get the bolsters as part of the plaid inserts, would you be able to use different colored thread for the stitching? What I have in mind is the burgundy insert, black vinyl, with burgundy stitching on the "cowboy stitching" (whatever that double-stitching is in between the upper and lower bolsters...might be nice to do this stitch all the way around...see my GTI interior pics earlier in the thread..."thread", I kill myself...)

Obviously this is not a concourse restoration project.

GA

I'm sure it can be done, but I'm also sure it's more work. I'll check with the guy I can doing these to see how much.

-Mark
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 30 2014, 04:25 AM
Post #50

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 30 2014, 12:36 AM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 29 2014, 10:43 AM) *

Yes, but I think it may need black vinyl on the sides????? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Probably not necessary but would be fine either way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
69telecaster
post Oct 30 2014, 06:09 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 11,558

I was wondering how best to replace the faded and ripped red plaid in the '76. This is way cool.
However, I thought I knew that there is a difference between seat cushions, early vs. late. Is this true? And which do these kits fit?
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 30 2014, 07:38 AM
Post #52

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(69telecaster @ Oct 30 2014, 08:09 AM) *

I was wondering how best to replace the faded and ripped red plaid in the '76. This is way cool.
However, I thought I knew that there is a difference between seat cushions, early vs. late. Is this true? And which do these kits fit?

i have late seats and did not think to ask this, but it brings up another question as i was looking at another members newly done seats. will you supply the matching vinyl piece that covers the bottom front base that is under the bottom seat cushion? my seats were tan originally(i am changing to black) and nothing is salvagable so i am going to need everything- btw i will take the new foam that you have acquired and priced out. i've already paid for the rest of it but need to pay you then for the bottom pad foam now too.

Phil
+Quote Post
Briby37
post Oct 30 2014, 10:15 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 18,049
Region Association: Northern California

Hi Mark,

I'd be interested in a complete set of #81. Can you let me know what would be needed to proceed? Thanks!

+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 30 2014, 10:29 AM
Post #54

The rubber man

QUOTE(69telecaster @ Oct 30 2014, 05:09 AM) *

The only variations I've seen don't necessarily affect the plaid.

The early seats have a fixed passenger back with a base that bolts down (not a bucket style seat).

There was variation on the vinyl designs, - brick mold vs basket weave.

To answer the question on the replacement of the plaid inserts, that's why I set this up. There is the option for you to sew, or have sewn the material only, or for us to provide you a "kit" that is pre sewn. The kit will require some skill level to install, on a scale of 1-10 probably a 5 to make it look perfect. If you are planning to do it I'd recommend reviewing the site on seat rebuilds done here. There are many people that don't have a lot of experience that have done very well, it basically is a matter of how comfortable you are with it.
Perhaps locating a spare set to disassemble. That would give you a good idea if you are ready. If not, any upholstery shop, should be able to install these.

Hope this helps
Mark
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 30 2014, 10:35 AM
Post #55

The rubber man

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 30 2014, 06:38 AM) *

QUOTE(69telecaster @ Oct 30 2014, 08:09 AM) *

i have late seats and did not think to ask this, but it brings up another question as i was looking at another members newly done seats. will you supply the matching vinyl piece that covers the bottom front base that is under the bottom seat cushion? my seats were tan originally and nothing is salvagable so i am going to need everything- btw i will take the new foam that you have acquired and priced out. i've already paid for the rest of it but need to pay you then for the bottom pad foam now too.

Phil

Phil,
As part of the plaid kit we have only set up the cushions and backs, but with the sides in tan I will need to match. Can you send me a sample?
-Mark

+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Oct 30 2014, 06:33 PM
Post #56

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

For those that are on the fence, I have received Mark's first kit, and they are absolutely beautiful. As in far nicer than I could have hoped for.

I may be wrong, but I believe his upholsterer v-notched the foam for the pleats, so they are very crisp and dead-nuts straight. He went to great lengths to insure that the pattern is centered and that the back would line up correctly with the bottom. He even took into account how the pattern would align with the pleats.

They vinyl grain seems to be very close to the original, but obvious 40 year old vinyl is going to show its age to some degree, so it is a little difficult to compare.

As some of you may know, I have been on a quest to restore my plaid interior for several years, and this kit is the bomb. Mark and I spent a lot of time on the phone the last couple of weeks discussing the kits, and I can tell you that he has spent a lot of time and money getting these right. Well, he nailed it. The quality is what we have come to expect from all of Mark's products. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Will post some pix when I get one recovered, hopefully this weekend!
+Quote Post
rmdinmd
post Oct 30 2014, 07:06 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 16,585

Hi Mark;
looked on the web site and was hoping to get the swatch card you had mentioned but didn't see it. would like to get a sample of the actual colors, as the photos of the swatches and the cloth appears to be a little different. I imagine it is because of the difference in lighting on them.

+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Nov 12 2014, 10:02 PM
Post #58

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

Tease alert!

Some pics of the prototypes.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Sorry that I can't post completed pics yet. Mark and I have been working together to dial these in to perfection, and that takes time. As it turns out, the construction of the vinyl vs. plaid seats was a bit different, and we are working through that. I have a set of original plaid seats that had been recovered to a pretty high level of craftsmanship, but with the wrong material (as it was not available). I have sent Mark one of my cushions to be reverse engineered, and I am working with him on the fitment of all of the pieces. I can say with certainty that the quality of Mark's materials, and the skill of his constructor are top-notch.

I can report that the back/bolster that he has created is fantastic. I got the first one on last night, and it might need a little heat gun in a couple of spots, but the fit is excellent. Much thanks to Turk22 and his excellent thread on recovering seats:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=198686
(note the 8th photo in post 2 - the relief cuts are absolutely necessary)

The center insert is great too. The headrest vinyl slipped over like a glove and again probably won't need much more than a couple passes with a heat gun. I have a couple of other points of feedback that will make it fit better.

The first round of cushion covers were patterned from vinyl pieces, and they didn't quite work out. Mark is working on that now.

Bottom line, when this kit becomes available to the masses, it will be absolutely first-rate, and I have really enjoyed working with Mark to get this right. And trust me, he doesn't want to sell it if it isn't right.

More to come...

+Quote Post
stevegm
post Nov 12 2014, 10:27 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633

These look great. I have to ask for a red set for Christmas.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Nov 30 2014, 09:10 AM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633

Still open until December 10th, right? I need a full set of the 47 color for my '72. My wife says it is a Christmas present. Woo hoo.
+Quote Post

10 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:40 AM