Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear Toe and Bushings
yeahmag
post Oct 28 2014, 11:06 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,946
Region Association: Southern California

I'm running roller bearings on the rear now and can only assume that running toe in will be hard on the roller bearings on the "face" of the kit. I'm concerned that as I toe it in it will only run on a few of the rollers and at an angle to boot...

I have it shimmed so that there is no discernible play, but may need to loosen it up a bit as one of the bolts is trying to work free on occasion.

Any words of wisdom?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 29 2014, 12:25 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Oct 28 2014, 10:06 PM) *
I'm running roller bearings on the rear now and can only assume that running toe in will be hard on the roller bearings on the "face" of the kit. I'm concerned that as I toe it in it will only run on a few of the rollers and at an angle to boot...

I have it shimmed so that there is no discernible play, but may need to loosen it up a bit as one of the bolts is trying to work free on occasion.

Any words of wisdom?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

This has always bugged me about the basic design of the trailing arms.

I think a self leveling solution on the outer mounting side would be the answer.
I use them on my front a-arm mounts to eliminate some binding due to the mounts being slightly deformed.

Not sure if anyone makes those in the size needed for our trailing arms, but the basic design is a conical(ish) piece that can rotate freely in a cup.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
yeahmag
post Oct 29 2014, 12:30 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,946
Region Association: Southern California

I use them with the Rebel Racing RSR front bushing too. That's a great idea, but they do take up quite a bit of space... They could in theory be used to replace the hardened washer on the inner ear as the outer ear should (or could) remain concentric.

They certainly do get that big in ID: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-leveling-washers/=ud5f9m

But the thickness could be a bit of an issue. A custom shaft and outer adjuster may be necessary.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 29 2014, 12:55 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

I haven't looked at a control arm shaft in a while but i think one could machine the shaft (and maybe the control arm itself) to take up the thickness of one of those washers.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

PS: And yes, i was thinking about the inner ear mounting. I don't see a need for this on the outer side.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 07:11 AM