Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Toe and Bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
I'm running roller bearings on the rear now and can only assume that running toe in will be hard on the roller bearings on the "face" of the kit. I'm concerned that as I toe it in it will only run on a few of the rollers and at an angle to boot...

I have it shimmed so that there is no discernible play, but may need to loosen it up a bit as one of the bolts is trying to work free on occasion.

Any words of wisdom?
SirAndy
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Oct 28 2014, 10:06 PM) *
I'm running roller bearings on the rear now and can only assume that running toe in will be hard on the roller bearings on the "face" of the kit. I'm concerned that as I toe it in it will only run on a few of the rollers and at an angle to boot...

I have it shimmed so that there is no discernible play, but may need to loosen it up a bit as one of the bolts is trying to work free on occasion.

Any words of wisdom?

agree.gif

This has always bugged me about the basic design of the trailing arms.

I think a self leveling solution on the outer mounting side would be the answer.
I use them on my front a-arm mounts to eliminate some binding due to the mounts being slightly deformed.

Not sure if anyone makes those in the size needed for our trailing arms, but the basic design is a conical(ish) piece that can rotate freely in a cup.

popcorn[1].gif
yeahmag
I use them with the Rebel Racing RSR front bushing too. That's a great idea, but they do take up quite a bit of space... They could in theory be used to replace the hardened washer on the inner ear as the outer ear should (or could) remain concentric.

They certainly do get that big in ID: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-leveling-washers/=ud5f9m

But the thickness could be a bit of an issue. A custom shaft and outer adjuster may be necessary.
SirAndy
I haven't looked at a control arm shaft in a while but i think one could machine the shaft (and maybe the control arm itself) to take up the thickness of one of those washers.
idea.gif

PS: And yes, i was thinking about the inner ear mounting. I don't see a need for this on the outer side.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.