Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Early Rear Valance
Pat Garvey
post Jul 23 2015, 04:27 PM
Post #21

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mark04usa @ Jul 22 2015, 08:14 PM) *

Glad to hear that you will be back to 914 upfixin soon. I have gotten some very useful instruction from your posts here and elsewhere, Pat. Thanks!

One thing I wish you would share is your experience with early rear valence and Bursch exhaust, as I will soon have that combination on my '70 1.7.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark,
This was my experience with the Bursch exhaust in 1973 (funny how you can remember things from40+ years ago, yet forget to put out the trash!).
I removed the "snow plow" valence and factory muffler, bolted on the Bursch, and tried to refit the plow. Close, but about a half inch off. Elongated the valence hole by grinding off a half inch ( I should be throttled for that!). Remounted & it fit, though snugly. Unfortunately there was a lot of torque movement with the exhaust, causing periodic vibration against the valence metal. After about 4-6 months the valence gave up to stress cracks and split into 2 pieces!

I would recommend using the later valence with a Bursch. I would also recommend NOT using a Bursch exhaust because it's loud for no reason.
Pat
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 24 2015, 06:23 AM
Post #22

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mark04usa @ Jul 22 2015, 10:41 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 22 2015, 09:22 PM) *

QUOTE(mark04usa @ Jul 22 2015, 10:14 PM) *

Glad to hear that you will be back to 914 upfixin soon. I have gotten some very useful instruction from your posts here and elsewhere, Pat. Thanks!

One thing I wish you would share is your experience with early rear valence and Bursch exhaust, as I will soon have that combination on my '70 1.7.

Cheers,
Mark

It's not a good fit. PO of my car tried it. Tailpipe doesn't fit the opening of the valence well. He made it work but wasn't pretty. Stock muffler works best. - my opinion.

Yes, the stock muffler would be best...wish that I had one, but it is $400! Some of us here have more limited funding. I need to get some use out of the new Bursch exhaust that I have had in stock for years now. If there is only an alignment problem with the tailpipe, that seems to be something that could be sorted out for less than $400 for another exhaust system.
Thanks,
Mark

I bought a used stock muffler for $125 and threw out the bursch. Or do as Pat said and use a later rear valence.
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Nov 11 2016, 09:12 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 13,069
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I corrected this on my 914-6, see below.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
gms
post Nov 11 2016, 10:03 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Nov 11 2016, 10:12 AM) *

I corrected this on my 914-6, see below.

Now correct your interior
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:19 PM