Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Oil temp sensor wire
Nate
post Oct 29 2014, 11:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,807
Region Association: Southern California

Hello everyone,

I know there have been several threads in the past about this and they all seem to say the same thing. Something along the lines of, "oil temp wire runs along front of engine, up through the tins and plugs in to a connection near the oil cooler." I'm thinking I'm missing something totally obvious but I can't, for the life of me, find where the oil temp sensor plugs in.

I've looked at these two wiring diagrams but they don't show anywhere for the oil temp sensor.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1292.photobucket.com-17807-1414647709.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1292.photobucket.com-17807-1414647709.2.jpg)

Can anyone help me?! This damn thing is driving me mad.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
JeffBowlsby
post Oct 30 2014, 12:37 PM
Post #2

914 Wiring Harnesses

Group: Members
Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

it needs to be said that the relay board diagram above does not apply to every year...mosre specifically the wiring that attaches to it varies from year to year.

Re: the oil temp gauge wire:

1970-71 914s include the green/black wire in the ignition harness, which requires a separate wire that goes down to the temp sender at the bottom of the engine. The circuit then routes though the ignition harness to the relay board, then through the chassis harness to the dash gauge area.

1972 914s have no factory provision for an oil temp gauge.

1973-76 cars require the wire from the temp sender to the single wire box connector in the chassis harness under the battery, which routes to a connector daylighting above the center tunnel for the center console gauges, including the oil temp gauge. A separate console gauge harness connects the center console gauges. 1973-76 914s without a center console gauge that have an oil temp gauge in their combo gauge, require an additional single green/black wire from the center console connector to the dash gauge area.

So there are three different single green/black wires - one for the 1970-71, one for the 1973-76 with the center console, and one for the 1973-76 cars without the console, but with a dash combo gauge.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 01:31 AM