Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steering Wheels and Quick Release Hubs, Who's Using What In Their Race Car
motorvated
post Nov 4 2014, 11:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,519
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Going racing soon with my '72 with Rocky Mountain Vintage Racing and possibly PCA in Colorado and would like to swap out the original steering wheel with something a bit smaller with a quick release. Mounting a Corbeau FX1 with 5-point harness on stock sliders in front of recessed rollcage, so I might need some extra clearance. What size and type of wheel and hub do people recommend?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Nov 5 2014, 10:25 AM
Post #2

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(motorvated @ Nov 4 2014, 10:28 AM) *

Going racing soon with my '72 with Rocky Mountain Vintage Racing and possibly PCA in Colorado and would like to swap out the original steering wheel with something a bit smaller with a quick release. Mounting a Corbeau FX1 with 5-point harness on stock sliders in front of recessed rollcage, so I might need some extra clearance. What size and type of wheel and hub do people recommend?

I remember a pretty long thread on this either here or maybe the Pelican racing forum. I have the Tekniq race version and have been extremely happy - no slop or issues after 10 years or so. It does bring the wheel a bit closer to you which you have to take into account when choosing a steering wheel (amount of dish) and setting everything up.
+Quote Post
post Nov 5 2014, 10:56 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(motorvated @ Nov 4 2014, 10:28 AM) *

I have an extra one that I will most likely never use. Pm me your email for picture and pricing if interested.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Nov 5 2014, 12:53 PM
Post #4

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

I have the same question also. My (new to me) 73 has a stock wheel. I was thinking of going with a momo, but I like the idea of a quick release to make easier to get in & out around the cage.
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Nov 5 2014, 01:44 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,907
Region Association: South East States

Heres a pic from my track car. I bought the hub and the disconnect from Rennline. It all works great. But, it bring the steering wheel out to much for my liking. So I removed the arms from the column, cut down the housing and used a early 911 steering shaft.
The steering wheel is over to the side on the dash. I may have some more info if you need it. It was some work (also had to remove the steering lock for racing) but with the roll cage, its so worth it.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
andrew15
post Nov 5 2014, 04:43 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 11,594
Region Association: None

I've got a Rothsport Racing setup and like it a lot
I also have their hub adapter so you don't have a 4"momo adapter + a "3"quick release and a wheel too close to your chest (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
RON S.
post Nov 10 2014, 12:07 PM
Post #7

9140430841, FINALLY RUNNING

Member No.: 724
Region Association: South East States

Here's a pic of my Tekniq setup.

I've probably had it for about 8 years or so now. Works great. 2 thumb pulls 180 degrees apart to put on, and take off.

Tight fit, and the horn does work.

It was a hundred bucks or so if I recall..

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
MikeSpraggi
post Nov 11 2014, 10:09 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,570
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have been using the NRG thin quick release hub. Has worked out well for me, though I can now get in and out of the car without removing the wheel. But I do take it off from time to time without issues, or more importantly, no issues on the track! Keeps the steering wheel at a just about the stock distance.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 09:20 PM