Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do-IT-Yourself Steel Flares, using simple hand tools
John Kelly
post Jun 3 2003, 03:36 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 640

Rusty,

The Covell videos are available on his web site which is on my links page "covellbiz.." I think or at the metalshapers site: www.metalshapers.org I have "Basic techniques for working with steel", and "Working with tubing", as well as "The Steve Davis shop tour. There are more.

JP Stein,

This technique may make your arms tired but it's not too hard on the hands. I'm flattered that you would consider re-doing your flares my way.

PDQ914,

If you are one month from paint, it's already too late. I don't see anyone doing all this work in one month without their arms falling off, although I suppose that's because I'm not so young anymore. I think it will be two months or so before I have tapes ready to sell. If you can postpone the paint job I can get you started by coaching you on what needs to be done so you'll be ready when the video comes out. There is a lot of work required before it gets too tricky.

Crash 914, here is a link to an article I wrote that migh be of a little help with the welding if you're interested:

http://www.type2.com/library/body/wlsh.htm

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nomore4
post Jun 3 2003, 04:40 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 576

I'm interested in a copy of your video. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Joe
+Quote Post
914Timo
post Jun 4 2003, 02:00 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 137
Region Association: Europe

Sounds good. I am very interested in about the video. Keep on good work !!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Oct 27 2004, 09:29 PM
Post #24

robots!

Member No.: 3,020

looks bitchin'!! i'd rather pound on my 914 with a hammer than cut it with a saws-all and weld on it! if i can get some wide rubber on in the rear without weld on steel flares or fiberglass, i just might need a change of underwear... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Oct 27 2004, 09:52 PM
Post #25

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

Absolutely want one of the kits! To hell with the neighbors! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
Duffster
post Oct 27 2004, 10:16 PM
Post #26

OFWG

Member No.: 1,087

John... count me in for the kit... I'll have to re-flange the fender lips when I get them bumped out far enough to cover the super-cups. (The result of violence to metal with baseball bats because I hadn't found your site when the rennmotor went in the car). I have been putting off finishing the body work until Your video/kit came out and I could get the fenders where I want them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
dinomium
post Oct 27 2004, 10:21 PM
Post #27

Git on a chair son, all the good stuff is goin over yer head!

Member No.: 74
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey John, I really enjoyed talking with you at the Hunts fire off party. I will be buying your vidi as soon as it is ready...

If you need a car to do some "live" demos, I can offer up mine. No need to thank me, I am just that kind a guy!

Great stuff! Keep it up... fences and triple pane windows make for good neighbors
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
John Kelly
post Oct 28 2004, 02:35 PM
Post #28

Thanks guys! Sorry to be so pathetic getting the video done, but it's out of my control. The good news is we are planning to make it a little more comprehensive, and most of the 11 hours of tape is condensed down to a managable level. I also figured out a few new tricks in the interim. One is a fairly simple way to make flares from scratch for those who want something a little different. We plan to do some more shooting in the next week or two...Hopefully it will be ready for christmas.

Dino, you are too kind...for some reason your generous offer sounds familiar...must have heard it before somewhere...nice try!

+Quote Post
jdogg
post Oct 28 2004, 03:20 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 204

Keep us posted, a nice fender massage is on my winter to do list!!
+Quote Post
bondo
post Oct 28 2004, 03:34 PM
Post #30

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Sweet! That would be an awesome x-mas present! (for me) I should drop a hint or two towards my wife (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Oct 28 2004, 09:35 PM
Post #31

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Jun 2 2003, 07:39 PM)
I've got $40 here for the video. Plus whatever the cost of the kit is. I'm ready to spend now, put me on the list. I'm very excited by this project.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
joea9146
post Oct 29 2004, 07:07 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 283
Region Association: None

QUOTE(John Kelly @ Oct 28 2004, 04:35 PM)
I also figured out a few new tricks in the interim. One is a fairly simple way to make flares from scratch for those who want something a little different.

Hi John....

What do you mean by flares from Scratch.... can u give more details ?
+Quote Post
John Kelly
post Oct 29 2004, 08:29 AM
Post #33

||Hi Joe,

I was stretching the rear quarters on a Ghia using the main method in the video, and ran into a problem. With the inner fender well removed for access, it was easy to stretch the metal, but the body was easily pulled out of shape having lost some of its rigidity. The Ghia (rear only)relies on this structure in a way that a single walled fender does not.

What I came up with is an easy way to form 3/8" hot rolled square stock into a new wheel opening, then take flat pieces of sheet metal and roll them in a conical shape (easier than it sounds), weld them to the body and the square stock, then stretch a little compound shape using the original method. This way there is structure holding it together and there is far less stretching required to get a big flare. The 3/8" stock absorbs some of the heat from welding which keeps shrinkage to a minimum. Paper patterns help figure out how many pieces are required for a flare.

I can post a few pictures on this soon if you like.

Duffster,

Do you have a picture of the wheel opening flange? I might have a way for you to fix it.

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 29 2004, 08:57 AM
Post #34

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

i searched for the flare party thread to pull it up. 8 dedicated maniacs, a patient guide, and a handfull of earplugs make for some drastic changes.

kevin
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Oct 29 2004, 01:39 PM
Post #35

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

I gots me some schlicks so I'm committed (or should be (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) ) to getting some room for em'. The palm nailer
sounds (NPI) like the cat's ass.

John:
I have a bunch of lead.....old fisherpersons end up with this kinda stuff. About how much should my purse weigh?
.....a straight line for 2000 smart asses. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
thesey914
post Oct 29 2004, 02:11 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 66

John, I love the look of your flares but probably like most am aprehensive about smashing the rear fenders about.
You really reckon a handy novice can get results like yours?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
bondo
post Oct 29 2004, 02:33 PM
Post #37

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(thesey914 @ Oct 29 2004, 01:11 PM)

You really reckon a handy novice can get results like yours?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I think Andyrew was working on hammered flares, maybe he'll speak up about how they're coming along.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Oct 29 2004, 02:43 PM
Post #38

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(thesey914 @ Oct 29 2004, 12:11 PM)
John, I love the look of your flares but probably like most am aprehensive about smashing the rear fenders about.

I did mine with the vaguest of clues. They don't look like John's
but he's a pro. For the rest of us, there's Bondo.

I'll get to work on mine (again) in a couple weeks and take pics. Maybe I can show you what NOT to do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Oct 29 2004, 02:48 PM
Post #39

Irrelevant old fart

Here's a pic of my first go-round.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
John Kelly
post Oct 29 2004, 04:41 PM
Post #40

thesey914,

I think anyone who has a little patience can get good results with my techniques, plus I'm available for help if you have a problem. At the very least the video will help someone decide whether or not to attack their car with a hammer. I fully expect most people to use a little filler when they do the flares, otherwise it takes forever to nit-pick every little spot. I'm trying to make the information as clear as possible. The method is very basic with a few tricks to make it easier to do.

JP,

I don't use lead in the shot bag or purse, because it is so heavy. Sand is cheaper and easier. Us manly men don't worry about using a purse for metal work. Let me know if you need any advice once you are ready to start pounding again. If you want, I will try to make time to come down for a day and help out.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 07:01 AM